USB to SPDIF with 96+/24 compatibility.

Has anyone here had chance to try a USB-SPDIF converter by the M2Tech or Bel Canto?

My heart tells me the Bel Canto unit is just a rebadged unit while the M2Tech is a technological breakthru.

One question though... Do I need to re-rip all music files in 96/24?

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Has anyone here had chance to try a USB-SPDIF converter by the M2Tech or Bel Canto?

My heart tells me the Bel Canto unit is just a rebadged unit while the M2Tech is a technological breakthru.

One question though... Do I need to re-rip all music files in 96/24?
    I would say No. Assuming you are starting with 16/44.1 CD files, what do you expect 24/96 to do for you?

Converting 16/44.1 to 24/96 is asynchonous upsampling which doesn't improve the inherent resolution of the original files. Further, some pundits insist that all asynchronous upsampling is deleterious to sound quality, though there is no agreement on that point.

In itself, upsampling does make filtering the high-frequency content easier for the DAC vs. 44.1 since less steep filters can be used which reduces phase shifts in the audible range. Then again some DACs don't bother with HF filtering at all, e.g. Audio Note.

Asynchronous upsampling inside the DAC using chip such as the Burr-Brown SRC4192, does force a reclocking of the data stream which ought to, (but doesn't necessarily), reduce jitter. However this jitter reduction does not apply if you upsample using software and then feed the data stream through a USB and/or S/PDIF interface.

Als, it you do want to upsample in software, another option versus ripping, is to do it in real-time using a player such as Foobar that can upsample using a suitable plug-in. Contary to what some people would have you believe, this real-time processing is a quite trivial task for a modern CPU.

Thanks Feanor,

Looks like I would need to purchase 24/96 or 24/192 files from the Linn or other websites.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Thanks Feanor,

Looks like I would need to purchase 24/96 or 24/192 files from the Linn or other websites.
    Yep, that's the only way you're really going to get these higher resolutions.

As for the M2Tech, it uses custom drivers to permit 24/192 and (possibly) reduce jitter. However it isn't the first device that offers these capabilities.

Also their discussion is a bit confusing on the matter of bypassing Kernel Mixer and Direct Sound. Various music players such as Foobar and others permit "kernels streaming" and/or ASIO, or WASAPI in case of Vista & Win7, to the same effect without special hardware or hardware drivers.

I also see a limitation with the M2Tech is only USB to S/PDIF. The latter itself is a less than ideal interface. Better to have the custom USB interface within the DAC itself where data can be passed using the inherently superior I2S internal interface. An example of DACs with such a custom USB interface built in, are those from Wavelength Audio, (although it doesn't look like any ot their models support greater than 24/96).

I appreciate your post, Feanor.
    But to be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed for I'm not up to speed on digital audio.

I was considering for the Havana by Mhdt, but I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for a used Wavelength Audio unit.

Thread Information