Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    you are correct, the tube buffer will follow the DAC. if it doesnt work well with the EAD then i will at least evaluate it with the Kenwood alone. either way i'll report back.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

What tube buffer are you looking into?

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    What tube buffer are you looking into?
    http://www.sound-thinking.org/index.php?showtopic=3571
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Cool!!!

But what makes their stuff much more superior than 6J1 based tube buffer made by Yaqin...? http://cgi.ebay.com/YAQIN-6J1-x-2-St...QQcmdZViewItem

SN ratio looks quite high, and I'm not really sure if that's something you wanna toy with. Also, if it really does use a pair of 6J1, then you might want to make sure you can get a replacement pair.

I think you should just get one by Musical Fidelity. They are going for $299 brand new, and you can always get a used one for around $200.

1 week free trial looks fun though. Let us know about it after you had chance to play around.

Regards,

Cool!!!

But what makes their stuff much more superior than 6J1 based tube buffer made by Yaqin...? http://cgi.ebay.com/YAQIN-6J1-x-2-St...QQcmdZViewItem

SN ratio looks quite high, and I'm not really sure if that's something you wanna toy with. Also, if it really does use a pair of 6J1, then you might want to make sure you can get a replacement pair.

I think you should just get one by Musical Fidelity. They are going for $299 brand new, and you can always get a used one for around $200.

1 week free trial looks fun though. Let us know about it after you had chance to play around.

Regards,
    i havent looked at any other brands, it was offered for demo so i decided to try it. if i like what i hear i'll definitely look deeper into tube buffers including other brands and options.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.....

Mr. Peabody.

dingus, please share us your impression on the unit after your demo.

Things to keep in mind.

If you decide you dont like it after making the purchase:

It'll become a hard sale if you dont have spare tubes, or an end user cannot find replcaement tubes.
    I think you can always get replacement tubes from MF for X-10s, but I believe those tubes last quite longer than typical in/output tubes. Also, I wouldn't be too optimistic about grades of those stock 6J1 tubes. Chinese companies use some cheap and irreplaceable tubes to cut down on costs. It'll be very unlikely that Yaqin/Grant will try to acquire matching and balanced tubes in bulks. If anything they wouldnt be any different from those noisy B-stock tubes you see on Ebay.

Good luck

np, its only a demo, there is no commitment to buy.

Forum Regular
    My dvda/sacd lexicon rt-10.For cdp i have an eastern electric minimax via analog.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Mr. Wellman, you haven't begun to hear the potential of your discs yet.

First, call me Mark . I am well aware of that. Most of you would cringe if you knew what I listen to most of the time. But... do not sell that Sherwood short. It has compared favorably to CD players well over $1000. Actually, I gave it to a friend. Peace.

Mark Wellman
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

got the B-283 tube buffer today. right now running it with the Kenwood DV-4070 via analog outs. on first listen right out of the box it sounds very nice. in comparison, to the Wadia WT-3200/EAD DSP 1000 combo, its got less gain but on adjusting the volume when switching the source, the B-283 sounds very comparable. going to listen to it exclusively over the next week before i do any further critical listening and comparing.

Suspended
    When comparing you should pick a couple things off a recording to concentrate on and go back and forth a couple times. I can see how the buffer might smooth the sound of the DVD player out but I doubt if "comparable" is accurate. I don't see how the DVD player could have the same amount of detail the EAD has. When listening, instead of trying to take in the whole recording just pick maybe one or two things at a time, like certain cymbals, the bass line, vocals etc,.is there anything noticeable, or more noticeable, on one but not the other.

i did just that. it was a quick comparison, admittedly, i was not doing any serious listening on either source, but neither was i able to discern anything obvious that put one above the other. i want to give the tube buffer ample time to break-in before i get real serious. Ian at Grant Fidelity said it should take about a week.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    For those whining about CD quality, I have a few suggestions:
    Listen to more classical music where there is less compression and fewer "hot"/bright recordings.
    Huh ? I know that you mean well but what if the person is not into classical music ? Should they force themselves to listen to a genre they don't care for just for better recordings ? I have a percentage of classical CDs in my collection but its not what I listen to primarily.

Buy more SACDs which are usually recorded with a more audiophile result in mind.
    I buy mostly from CD Universe and just last night I went through their entire list of SACDs. The majority were classical, followed by other stuff that I have no interest in. I did not even see any SACD versions of redbook classical titles I already own. There were only three or four SACDs in their entire list that I would buy.

What's your point, Glen?

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B
    Huh ? I know that you mean well but what if the person is not into classical music ? Should they force themselves to listen to a genre they don't care for just for better recordings ? I have a percentage of classical CDs in my collection but its not what I listen to primarily..
    If you don't like classical music, that's your loss, but I'm not suggesting you force yourself to listen to it. Then again if you do, look for SACD versions.

I buy mostly from CD Universe and just last night I went through their entire list of SACDs. The majority were classical, followed by other stuff that I have no interest in. I did not even see any SACD versions of redbook classical titles I already own. There were only three or four SACDs in their entire list that I would buy.
    If the music you want isn't on SACD, you can't buy it that way. Are you saying that more of what you what is on LP than SACD? Possibly for you, but it isn't the case for me. I'll admit that most of the music, (classical), that I buy isn't available on SACD either. But if it is I usually buy the SACD version, especially for large-scale and choral works.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    If you don't like classical music, that's your loss, but I'm not suggesting you force yourself to listen to it. Then again if you do, look for SACD versions.
    Did I say I did not like classical music ? I said I have classical CDs in my collection but its not primarily what I listen to. I especially fond of pipe organ which I listen to from time to time. Even if I did not like classical why would it be my loss or that of anyone who does not care for classical music ? You like what you like, others like what they like, Can't we all get along ?

If the music you want isn't on SACD, you can't buy it that way. Are you saying that more of what you what is on LP than SACD? Possibly for you, but it isn't the case for me. I'll admit that most of the music, (classical), that I buy isn't available on SACD either. But if it is I usually buy the SACD version, especially for large-scale and choral works.
    Where did I mention LPs ? What I said was that the majority of SACD titles that CD Universe has are classical (and or/other artists whom I don't listen to). Why would I buy stuff I don't like just for sound quality ? It would not make much sense. I don't mind expanding the classical portion of my music collection but not at the expense of other music that I listen to more and would prefer to obtain first.

Quote Originally Posted by dingus
    i did just that. it was a quick comparison, admittedly, i was not doing any serious listening on either source, but neither was i able to discern anything obvious that put one above the other. i want to give the tube buffer ample time to break-in before i get real serious. Ian at Grant Fidelity said it should take about a week.
    Hey dingus,

I'm confused as usual so help me out here.
    I was under the impression that majority of demo units were passed down for demo-ee, such as yourself.

Have you consulted Grant on what the difference is from the unit by Yaqin? Also, were you able to locate replacement tube on the net somewhere? I imagine the stock tube is just crap, and you'll defintelyu benefit more from a tube that has been tested.

I mean, would you just buy a bulk of light bulbs from a grocery store and light your room? Me? I'm dont consider myself a Discerning Room Illuminist, but prefer to buy a pack that lasts more than 1000 hours and actually look good. Not one of those energy saving florescent bulbs.... they are nausiating just like cheap tubes.

Hope I'm not coming across a bit bitter.

Regards,

J

this is what i know about the unit ...

This is the GF B-283 Tube processor. It is a new sample unit with the unmodified appearance. Designed to be installed between Solid State CD/DVD outs to improve the sound of your player. It has found many more uses as it is a line level device with RCA connections that adds subtle tube processing to your system.

More Info here:
    http://grantfidelity.com/site/node/75

More pics here:
    http://grantfidelity.com/site/image
    i have not sought out any alternative tubes as it is not my unit. i have another 10 days with it before i have to send it off for the next on the list to try out.

Forum Regular
    Hey dingus,

I'm confused as usual so help me out here.
    I was under the impression that majority of demo units were passed down for demo-ee, such as yourself.

Have you consulted Grant on what the difference is from the unit by Yaqin? Also, were you able to locate replacement tube on the net somewhere? I imagine the stock tube is just crap, and you'll defintelyu benefit more from a tube that has been tested.

I mean, would you just buy a bulk of light bulbs from a grocery store and light your room? Me? I'm dont consider myself a Discerning Room Illuminist, but prefer to buy a pack that lasts more than 1000 hours and actually look good. Not one of those energy saving florescent bulbs.... they are nausiating just like cheap tubes.

Hope I'm not coming across a bit bitter.

Regards,

J
    Hi J,

Ian from Grant Fidelity here, came accross the thread doing some 6J1 rolling research of which there is many options including the GE JAN 5654W. Just a heads up on the Chinese tube situation, in the last two years Chinese tubes have improved drastically to the point where they are quite decent. We have 5 factories doing OEM for us and all the designers design to the tubes provided with the unit. Another point to consider is that to import tubes into China is expensive and then to export them in a product thru the sales chain will drive the retail price of the product up. The B-283 sounds great with the supplied Shuguang 6J1 tubes and from there it is personal taste as to which tube you roll with. We of course carry replacement stock for the 6J1 which has a life expectancy of over 10,000 hours.

My first post here

Best,
    Ian

Hey Ian,

Nice to see a distributor actually take their time to post. Maybe you shoud post at AudioCircle in a manufacturer site(not sure how they work though).

So what is a function of your company? Bringing in the product from China for US customers? If so, that does give us a buffer zone, cuz we dont have to purchase directly from China with 12wks of leadtime.

It would never make sense for China to import vaccum tubes from Russia. Alot of us know that Shuguang is startingt o receive more and more credible praises on their tubes, but no matter who makes it there seems to be a large margin of bad tubes on the market. Since you offer replacement tubes, you should know this alot more than I do. I'm not too sure about stated 10000 hours though.

Could you please tell us what all the testing you do with replacement tubes you offer?

Here is another X-CAN V,3 alternative:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm

JRA

Actually you wouldnt be a distributor, would you? Product name has been changed from Yaqin.

Suspended
    I wonder if the electronics, or other product distributors who bring things in from China feel a concern over the recent epidemic of product recalls. I personally am now in the habit of avoiding Chinese products. There are too many problems to ignore and not to think there is a general lack of integrity from their manufacturers.

Peace, Glen

Where did I mention LPs ? What I said was that the majority of SACD titles that CD Universe has are classical (and or/other artists whom I don't listen to). Why would I buy stuff I don't like just for sound quality ? It would not make much sense. I don't mind expanding the classical portion of my music collection but not at the expense of other music that I listen to more and would prefer to obtain first.
    Agreed. It would be silly to buy music you don't care just to get SACD. I guess I did suggest listening to classical and buying SACD in the same breath ...
    • Listen to more classical music where there is less compression and fewer "hot"/bright recordings.
    • Buy more SACDs which are usually recorded with a more audiophile result in mind.
    I'm sorry if I seemed to link them together in the way you construed. The first is a fact about classical recordings in general, the second a fact about SACDs in general, and I didn't mean to imply a necessary connection between them.
    Last edited by Feanor; 11-10-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iGrant
    Hi J,

Ian from Grant Fidelity here, came accross the thread doing some 6J1 rolling research of which there is many options including the GE JAN 5654W. Just a heads up on the Chinese tube situation, in the last two years Chinese tubes have improved drastically to the point where they are quite decent. We have 5 factories doing OEM for us and all the designers design to the tubes provided with the unit. Another point to consider is that to import tubes into China is expensive and then to export them in a product thru the sales chain will drive the retail price of the product up. The B-283 sounds great with the supplied Shuguang 6J1 tubes and from there it is personal taste as to which tube you roll with. We of course carry replacement stock for the 6J1 which has a life expectancy of over 10,000 hours.

My first post here

Best,
    Ian
    Hi Ian,

On your site I looked at the 'At the GF factory' pictures, and all I saw were Vincent products (www.vincent-tac.de), and no Grant Fidelity products...

what's up with that?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    Hi Ian,

On your site I looked at the 'At the GF factory' pictures, and all I saw were Vincent products (www.vincent-tac.de), and no Grant Fidelity products...

what's up with that?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    One of our factories makes them as well. About half of the photos are of that factory.

Ian
    Last edited by iGrant; 11-10-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Forum Regular
    Hi JRA,

thanks for the questions and link to Decware (nice site). We currently have various OEM factories in China, which custom make products for us under the Grant Fidelity name. Our distribution/dealer model allows the pricing to remain competitive with online sales, but allows for demonstration and North American sales, service and warranty.

As I'm sure you know, pre-amp type tubes last much longer than power tubes, my 6J1's are at just over 8000 hours (only occasionally turned off). Our testing for replacement tubes depends on the tube type and use, we match power tubes and test pre-amp tubes, but so far this has been a maytag repairman issue, not much to do yet, only a few bad tubes mailny due to mishandling as they are baked for 24 hours in the factory. If a request for matched pre-amp tubes is submitted we will match for a small fee. 95% of our tubes are Shuguang.

Re AudioCircle, we have sent off a freebie B-283 to the Junior Audiophile Circle and once I figure out their rules will say Hi If you would like to know more about Grant Fidelity, please PM me.

Thanks,
    Ian

i've finished a week with the B-283 tube buffer in my rig. it made a big improvement over the sound of the Kenwood DV-4070 alone (across the board improvement!), but it wont be displacing the Wadia WT3200\EAD DSP 1000 combo. as i noted earlier the Wadia is very good with subtle details and nuance, but the biggest difference was the level of refinement in the sound. this is a reflection in the differences between the players and not the B-283, but i cant run the Wadia and the B-283 together ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information