Thread: MP3 legaleese

nightflier

MP3 legaleese

OK, this may seem like a simple question, but why is it illegal to download an MP3 file if I own the title on casette or 8-track? Theoretically, isn't the industry forcing me to pay again for something I already own? And it's not like a 128Kbs MP3 file is that much better in quality, or anything...

It seems to me that if you can demonstrate that you own the music you're downloading, then this should be legal. Has anyone who's been accused of piracy by the RIAA used this as a defense?

The way I see it, it's like renting a tool. You pay a rental fee for use of a tool, if you need two then you rent two and pay the required fee. You are free to use the tool(s) how you wish. The power tool still belongs to the rental company and when your done with it you return it cause they still own it. So it is with music, the recording companies own the rights to the music, you are basically paying a fee to borrow their product for private use until done with it. Then you can chuck it or mail it back, and they keep your money.

nightflier

But what about fair use?

OK, but what about our right to make a copy under fair use? The way I see it, an MP3 is just a different type of copy of the same music.

Anyhow, isn't that something that is tacked on as a tax on the sale of every CD, Tape, and DVD already?

it's about the music
    at least the way it works in spain is that you are allowed to make as many copies of a song or album for personal use as you like.$
    therefore if you are caught with a ton of Mp3s on your computer but you can demonstrate that you own the original recording, be it vinyl, CD or shellac, they cant touch you
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

nightflier

Spain?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    at least the way it works in spain is that you are allowed to make as many copies of a song or album for personal use as you like.$
    therefore if you are caught with a ton of Mp3s on your computer but you can demonstrate that you own the original recording, be it vinyl, CD or shellac, they cant touch you
    Now that's what it should be in the US. I also suspect that most people download music they owned in some other format before. Now if only I had held onto to my massive LP collection...

Thread Information