Forum Regular

Question Marantz DV6400: Transport noise?

I bought a DV6400 a little over a month ago. I love the sound and the video performance, and it has recieved nothing but great reviews as far as I've seen (Sound &Vision gushed over it in the current issue, April '04). The only thing I don't like about it is the transport is LOUD. If I hit pause I can hear the thing spinning from 12-15 feet away. It seems to be loudest with CD-R discs and not so loud with DVD or SACD, but I can hear it to some extent with all formats. Anyone else having this problem with a Marantz player, this model or otherwise? If I'm the only one, I'll try to get a dealer to fix it. Thanks for looking!

Forum Regular
    In case anyone's interested, I returned the unit to Marantz and they replaced the spindle motor. The whole thing was under warranrty, so I only had to pay $6.00 shipping to send it to them. Return shipping from Marantz is included in the 3 year warranty. Now I can't hear the thing spinning from 3 INCHES away. Silent indeed. And the sound is still lovely.
    Mike

Forum Regular
    Did it take a month to get it back? I noticed the date on your original post and the date of the response.
    My System:
    Receiver: Marantz SR7300
    DVD Audio/SACD: Pioneer DV-563AS
    DVD Player: Panasonic DVD-RP62K
    CD Changer: Sony DVP-C650D
    TV: Mitsubishi WS-48511
    Sat: Echcostar HD 6000U
    Remote: Sony AV3000
    Cables: Monster and Acoustic Research

Speakers:
    Center: CSW Center Stage
    Fronts: CSW Tower II (Bi-wired)
    Rears: CSW Surround 5.1
    Back Center: CSW Newton MC300
    Sub: JBL PB-10
    Speacker Wire: CSW 16 ga. white

my website:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1mkhw/index.html

Forum Regular
    No, it didn't take a month. I actually didn't send it in until a while after my original post. I can't remember the exact dates of send/return, but I think it was around 2 1/2 weeks total. Not the fastest service but certainly no longer than I would have expected, and not long enough to frustrate me.
    Mike

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike That Likes Music
    In case anyone's interested, I returned the unit to Marantz and they replaced the spindle motor. The whole thing was under warranrty, so I only had to pay $6.00 shipping to send it to them. Return shipping from Marantz is included in the 3 year warranty. Now I can't hear the thing spinning from 3 INCHES away. Silent indeed. And the sound is still lovely.
    Mike
    Hi Mike, I just bought a DV-6400. I have a stereo setup (2 speakers) but love the sound of SACDs and I was wondering if you can tell me how to connect the player? Should I use the 2ch audio out jacks or the 5.1ch audio out jacks?
    Does it have a "virtual surround" mode? Does one need necessarily a TV in order to program it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by fedeji
    Hi Mike, I just bought a DV-6400. I have a stereo setup (2 speakers) but love the sound of SACDs and I was wondering if you can tell me how to connect the player? Should I use the 2ch audio out jacks or the 5.1ch audio out jacks?
    Does it have a "virtual surround" mode? Does one need necessarily a TV in order to program it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Hi. Use the the main (front chanels) out jacks in the 5.1. SACD doesn't come out of the others. Yes to virtual surround, and yes to the third question. Make sure you select 2 channel audio in the setup.
    Enjoy
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated Amp, VPI Scout turntable, JMW9 arm, Dynavector DV10x5 cartridge, Wright Sound WPP200C Phono Preamplifier, Marantz SA8001 SACD Player, Totem Arro Speakers

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lumiere
    Hi. Use the the main (front chanels) out jacks in the 5.1. SACD doesn't come out of the others. Yes to virtual surround, and yes to the third question. Make sure you select 2 channel audio in the setup.
    Enjoy
    Thanks Mike! So I guess you wouldn´t miss any detail in music with a 2 channel setup, the 6400 mixdown the signal from 5.1 to 2 channel?

Are you sure you need a TV? Jaja! My setup is just for music listening...

Thanks and happy listening.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fedeji
    Thanks Mike! So I guess you wouldn´t miss any detail in music with a 2 channel setup, the 6400 mixdown the signal from 5.1 to 2 channel?

Are you sure you need a TV? Jaja! My setup is just for music listening...

Thanks and happy listening.
    I've struggled with the question myself. But the answer seems to be that it does NOT mixdown anything. I'm not positive about DVD, as I only have my player hooked up through the main L/R outs of the 5.1 outs. But I'm certain it doesn't mix down SACD. In fact it doesn't even output SACD through the 2 channel outs (I checked).
    As for the TV, it's not ABSOLUTELY necessary, but you're far better off hooking one up at least once to get all the settings where you want them. The whole thing is definitely set up as a DVD player first and foremost (interface-wise). EVERY option is accessible only through the GUI. The on-player display doesn't tell you much at all, which I personally find rather frustrating. It will play everything you put in it even without the TV hooked up, but you're stuck with all the default settings if you go that way. I've found I rarely feel the need to change any of the settings anyway, but it would be nice if I didn't have to reach for the TV remote every time I want to find out how much time is left on this track or album or movie.

Mike

Thread Information