• 03-03-2008, 12:03 PM
    heywood
    Marantz cc4001 or Sony scd2000es?
    Does anyone have any info or opinions on which player might have the better sonics? Also I'm looking at the Onkyo dx-7555 single disc player.

Thanks for your time.
  • 03-03-2008, 02:59 PM
    ldgibson76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by heywood
    Does anyone have any info or opinions on which player might have the better sonics? Also I'm looking at the Onkyo dx-7555 single disc player.

Thanks for your time.

Hello "heywood"!

It really depends on what you're listening to! If you value the SACD functionality & 5.1 playback and you have or plan on establishing a SACD collection, then the Sony is you best choice. If you want your current cd collection to sound close to SACD playback quality, then the Marantz is the best choice. The Marantz is not compatible with SACD's but, it's DAC's are on par with those in the Sony(SACD). The Marantz CC4001's Dynamic range, THD and Frequency Response rating for CD playback is almost identical to the Sony's during it's SACD playback and far superior to the Sony's standard cd playback. Not to mention that the Marantz is built like a tank!

http://us.marantz.com/Products/1860.asp
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4119198 (Sony specs-more detailed here than on Sony's own website).

Just an opinion.

Regards.
  • 03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
    blackraven
    Go with the Marantz 5001 for CD play if you can. It cost about $270-300. If you want to be able to play multi disk format like SACD and DVD, then go with the Oppo 980. The Oppo is a real bargain at $169 and compares favorably if not better then the 2 units you are looking at. www.oppodigital.com
  • 03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
    ldgibson76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven
    Go with the Marantz 5001 for CD play if you can. It cost about $270-300. If you want to be able to play multi disk format like SACD and DVD, then go with the Oppo 980. The Oppo is a real bargain at $169 and compares favorably if not better then the 2 units you are looking at. www.oppodigital.com

Although the Onkyo single disc player was mentioned in the inquiry, I believe that he is really interested in the changer function. If that's the case, then his comparison of the 2 players in question are very capable and viable options. Not to dismiss the Oppo. Of course it's an excellent product for the money, if he's looking for a single disc player!

Off subject a little, routing the cable box thru the 840C......:idea: interesting! Would that be for listening to the music channels, or for listening to everything?!
  • 03-03-2008, 03:43 PM
    blackraven
    I've already considered routing the cable through the 840c. I'm going to give it a try as soon as I decide on a new AV stand and know what legnth cables I need.