Forum Regular

Marantz 5001 vs. Onix CD-5SE

Hey all, it has been abit of time since my last apperance

So here's the thing while getting my list down for a new int amp (Rotel, Music Hall, Cambridge...) Picked up from a former audio sales guy a very nice Marantz PM7000. So now for a dedicated CD player. So 1st thought would be the Marantz 5001. Now there's this buzz about Onix CD -5SE. Close in cost, same warranty of 3 years. Onix is Burr Brown and the Marantz is the Cirus (if I remember correctly). Any thoughts on how these two compare? I've seen alot about Oppo vs Onix but that's universal vs dedicated.

Thanks

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey Alex, good to see ya around.

Ready for goofy audiophile terms? The Onix will probably sound more "analytical" whereas the Marantz will sound "warmer" and "musical". I say probably because I have only heard the Marantz, but a quick Google check tells me that the Onix has some of the same innards as the lowerline Denon cdps.

I suppose it's possible that through different implementation the Onix will have a completely unique signature sound...but I wouldn't bet on it. Depending on your system particulars you may find yourself substituting the word "brittle" for "analytical", or it may be just what you need to get a spring in your step.

Forum Regular
    Thanks
    Yeah I like what I hear about the Marantz. Since I'm still thinking about a new int amp I could wait abit. Still have the Denon universal to go with for now. Just feels like that bug is coming on.

Thread Information