Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar

M-Audio Speakers

I just yesterday got the M-Audio AV-20 again. I had to save up again since I used it up on gas, games or other things. I actualy got a good deal on them for $80 since normaly they cost around $100. The Retail price is $130 though but most don't sell them at that price.
    Dallas's Forums

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

Suspended
    WOW, and here I thought you finally got the message as you did not post any dribble for two weeks.

I wish you many days of bliss with your killer purchase. That is until you replace them once again with the ones that you glued.

Be sure to clean up your old posts when you repost the same crap in a new one.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    [QUOTE=SpankingVanillaice]I just yesterday got the M-Audio AV-20 again. I had to save up again since I used it up on gas, games or other things...[QUOTE]

You're allowed to drive?
    Last edited by bobsticks; 05-22-2008 at 12:28 PM.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    You're allowed to drive?
    Frightened?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    I just hope he changes his undies as often as he changes speakers. If we are lucky, he will drive off a cliff.

Here are some pics of my new AV-20 I got yesterday for $80 pair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M-Audio Speakers-img_0490.jpg   M-Audio Speakers-img_0491.jpg   M-Audio Speakers-img_0492.jpg   M-Audio Speakers-img_0494.jpg   M-Audio Speakers-img_0496.jpg  

Dallas's Forums

Suspended
    So it looks like you took my advice Spanky?

Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    I just yesterday got the M-Audio AV-20 again. I had to save up again since I used it up on gas, games or other things. I actualy got a good deal on them for $80 since normaly they cost around $100.
    I looked at its specification, and 10 watt per channel doesn't sound too promising. So with such a low power, you will get distortion (THD). I would save some more money and buy a sytem that have subwoofer also.

I was in your shoes three years ago and tried different PC speakers and although they sound good first couple of days, but lack power made them fatigue to listen to. So finally settles for Altec 2.1 (ASC621) system which was selling for $150 which have high power and low distortion (1% THD). I listen to PC music and TV sound thru these speakers and sound is very impresive and it does get loud.

Here is its specifications:

200 watts, 100 watts RMS
    Power Rating: 143 watts total continuous power RMS
    Front Satellite Speakers: 35 watts/channel at 4 ohms at 1 percent THD at 110-22000 Hz 2 channels loaded; 200 watts of total peak power at less than 10 percent THD

Subwoofer: 45 watts at 4 ohms at 1 percent THD at 28 - 190 Hz single channel loaded

Well my room is now downstairs like I use to be in 5 years agao. This room is smaller than what I had before so I don't really need much power since even the AV-20 they go loud in my room. I found out that acutaly my speakers are only 5 watts per channel so it is 10 watts total power but that is kinda loud for my room. I can maybe have a 10 watt per channel or 20 watt per channel like the AV-40 at most but anything louder than that my ears are going to hurt.
    Dallas's Forums

This room is smaller than what I had before so I don't really need much power since even the AV-20 they go loud in my room. I found out that acutaly my speakers are only 5 watts per channel so it is 10 watts total power but that is kinda loud for my room.
    More power is not about loudness, but rather about "quality" of sound.

Even at 1 watt probably you can not stand it because it would be loud. The problem here is that even at low volume, music contain momentary spikes (like when drum is beat) that can reach between 50-100 watt momentarily. If there is not enough power to reproduced this momentary spikes or surges, the signal will get cut off at top and distortion is produced.

That is why low power systems (even if they get real loud) will make your ear fatigue after listening for a while because music spikes are not reproduces and instead you will hear distortion. A 10 watt system will get as loud as 100 watt system. The difference here is that 100 watt system will have lower distortion, better Dynamic Headroom and sound better.

Do a google search on amplifier Dynamic Headroom and music surges, and you will get more information.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I just yesterday got the M-Audio AV-20 again. I had to save up again since I used it up on gas, games or other things...
    HAHA!! That's exactly what I was thinking!

Well I do like the M-Audio speakers since they are built really well and durable plus they have alot of protections like from putting to much power or also it has voltage selector so you can use these speakers around the world and etc. These are very high end computer speakers you know and even on there website they say they are built the same way as high end studio monitors are but just these are compac and more designed for computer use which is perfect for me since I only use them for my computer or MP3 players etc. I really don't need actualy studio monitors since I don't ever mix or tracking etc. I' am just a audiophile and in to music alot and want they best within my budget. I tend to like speakers they are close to studio monitors the most since they play very flat and precise compaired to normal speakers. Plus alot of studio monitors are active so I don't need a amp. I know alot of companys that make studio monitors are now making speakers for home users like my M-Audio AV-20 that is designed for mutimedia use like Computers, MP3, Video Games, TVs and etc. I know that even Samson makes some home user speakers that are built the same as there high end studio monitors but the home user one is for home use.

Here are some Samson monitors they are made for home users.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1946&brandID=2

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1945&brandID=2

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1960&brandID=2

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1961&brandID=2

Here are some monitors from Edirol and these monitors are made for home use too but they are built like studio monitors. I have once owned the MA-7A the black version.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...6&ParentId=114

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...7&ParentId=114

M-Audio makes the AV series and all of them are made for home use like mine.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...AV20-main.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...AV30-main.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...AV40-main.html
    Dallas's Forums

Here are some details that is on M-Audios website that is saying that these speakers I have are pro build but made for home use like for computer, games, movies etc. So these are great high end speakers you know.

"Hear your music, movies and video games the way they were meant to sound with the M-Audio Studiophile™ AV 20 multimedia speakers. Built with the same M-Audio technology that professional recording studios have trusted for years, the AV 20 system provides an excellent audio upgrade for your computer. With internal amplification plus dedicated high- and low-frequency drivers, the AV 20 system lets you experience every detail of your sound. Custom cabinets with dense wood construction deliver a more accurate bass response than you could ever get from plastic multimedia speakers. And if you’re the creative type, the Studiophile AV 20 speakers are perfect for crafting your next remix, recording original tracks or adding music to a home movie."

Also it says this.

"Audiophile Sound for Your Computer"

M-Audio is known throughout the professional recording world for building some of the most accurate studio monitors on the market. With the Studiophile AV 20, you can enjoy this same technology in a portable, powered speaker that is the perfect addition to any home computer or laptop. Designed specifically for today’s multimedia computers, the AV 20s feature a unique angled cabinet that creates an accurate listening environment even when you’re short on desk space.

Dedicated Drivers and Professional Components

Comprising a 2” composite woofer, 1” ferrofluid-cooled Mylar dome tweeter and an internal Class D amplifier, the Studiophile AV 20 is designed to deliver solid bass, crisp highs and convincing realism while occupying only a fraction of the space of standard desktop speakers. And with sturdy, magnetically shielded cabinets, the AV 20s can coexist with all manner of computer monitors, TVs and other electronic equipment without interference.

OptImage III Technology

The Studiophile AV 20 features M-Audio’s proprietary OptImage III wave guide, which improves high-frequency response while minimizing phasing issues that can plague other portable monitors. The wave guide evens out the response of the weeter by making it work more efficiently. It also time-aligns the tweeter and the woofer so the audio from each driver reaches the listener at the same time, guaranteeing precise stereo imaging and accurate response.

These are soo good even pros can use them it says.

"Pro to Go

If you’re a music or media pro, don’t let the size and price of the Studiophile AV 20 fool you. These speakers deliver far better sound than anything in their range. And their compact size makes them the perfect solution for the traveling musician, filmmaker or anyone who wants top-notch audio from their laptop on the go."
    Dallas's Forums

Basicaly my speakers are built the same way as pro M-Audio monitors but are made for home users like me. That's why it also has that angled fronts enclosure so you can place them on your desk and the tweeters will point the sound to your ears.
    Dallas's Forums

"Hear your music, movies and video games the way they were meant to sound with the M-Audio Studiophile™ AV 20 multimedia speakers."
    Not with 5 watts per channels you won’t. Your speakers might be the best, but if amplifier can not reproduce high power spikes, you will hear more distortion than music.

I guess this is a good question but if my speakers are built really durable and high end why didn't they make these speakers have more watts? Is it because it's only a 2in woofer and it can't go louder than 5 watts per channel? So basicaly I mean is no matter how high end and great design the speakers are since it's only a 2in it can't go louder than 5 watts per channel. Also because it's only 5 watts per channel it ends up that it's not really a good speaker?
    Last edited by SpankingVanillaice; 05-26-2008 at 07:09 AM.
    Dallas's Forums

........ it ends up that it's not really a good speaker?

YEP
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

But I guess that since they are built really well and high end I still think they are very good speakers but just it doesn't have much watts. I mean the internal parts and the enclouse is really well made and high end forsure. The enclosure is made of special MDF so that's really like high end speakers. They are made to last for many years without any problem. Plus they are sorta heavy too meaning the parts inside are really forsure made well. I just wish that it has more watts than 5 watts per channel but I guess no matter how high end the speaker is made since it's only 2in woofer it can't have much watts since the cones are small. But is it really just because the woofer is small that it can't have much watts? I do know that these 2in woofers have huge magnets since I seen it so you would think it has alot of power but I guess for a 2in woofer it's maybe the best you can ever get.
    Dallas's Forums

I guess this is a good question but if my speakers are built really durable and high end why didn't they make these speakers have more watts?

that's because they aren't built durable and high end in any way...

Quote Originally Posted by spanky
    ...it ends up that it's not really a good speaker?

finally you got it

however, don't go full out on wattage, there are several amps costing $10k that will output only 3 or 4 watts (of pure class A Set power...), but with an efficient speaker, they will sound wonderful...

with pc speakers, always look at the disortion, 10 watts at 10% thd are not 10 good watts, with a bit of luck, it might just put out 2 watt without clipping...

that's not much, isn't it...

and your AV-20's are not 'too big' or 'just big enough' for your room. They're small tiny speakers with 2" 'woofers'. they might sound like they go loud, but they won't fill a room, they just disort.
    the ones you mentioned above (in one of the previous posts...) looked okay on first sight...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Well M-Audio veteran techs said that the AV-20 are very high end multimedia speakers that can even be used as studio monitors since they are build very well and have alot of features to protect it. Also have very flat frequency response.
    Dallas's Forums

Also they said that for a 2in woofer this is the best high end speaker you can get meaning no other 2in woofers can make this much low clear undistorted bass. They said 5 watts each speaker is alot for a small 2in woofer. So I mean my speakers must be the best 1in tweeter and 2in woofer 2-way speakers you can get for this size.
    Dallas's Forums

Suspended
    Well M-Audio veteran techs said that the AV-20 are very high end multimedia speakers that can even be used as studio monitors since they are build very well and have alot of features to protect it. Also have very flat frequency response.
    Dynaudio Audience 42s are not even "Really High End Speakers" but cost $600 so don't be fooled by what a tech for the company tells you. He probably never heard a good speaker. One would never use a $100 pair of itty bitty plastic speakers as Studio Monitors. They would use hmmm a pair of Studio Monitors.

What kind of music do you listen to anyway? Name a few bands/tracks that you use to formulate your conclusions with your setup.

Don't believe what the manufacturers have to say. They will all tell you that their products are the best. That doesn't make them bad. It's just how things are.
    You'll have to listen for yourself, but I'm very doubtful that you'll get good bass out of any 2" woofer. Saying that their 2" woofer is the best at their size is like saying that Betty White was the hottest chick on "The Golden Girls." It may be true, but who cares? Look at what it's being compared to.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Somedays, I think the dinosaurs were lucky that a big comet fell from the sky an wiped them all out.

the tech was telling you what he had to tell you. if he told the truth, he'd be fired.

they are not high end, they might be better built than another pc speaker from it's size, but they still are just cheap pc speakers.

and I wouldn't want any recording mastered on those speakers to play to my system, both for the safety of my system, as for my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky
    Also they said that for a 2in woofer this is the best high end speaker you can get meaning no other 2in woofers can make this much low clear undistorted bass. They said 5 watts each speaker is alot for a small 2in woofer. So I mean my speakers must be the best 1in tweeter and 2in woofer 2-way speakers you can get for this size.

what bass? a 2 inch 'woofer' won't produce any bass at all, maybe some mid bass at most, any bass coming out there is probably disorted. just to give you an idea, a normal tweeter is like 1", most midranges are much bigger than your woofers.

low frequencies need big drivers.

the 'veteran' tech was wrong, and he fooled you. learn to live with it.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation