LP conversion

Printable View

• 09-28-2006, 08:02 AM
    TimW
    LP conversion
    I have a huge collection of LP's, many of which have never been released on DVD, and I wanted to digitize a number of them so that I could store the music on computer and convert some of it to MP.3 format for my Ipod. I have some pretty good software at hand for the work, but there's one thing I need to sort out.

Basically, how do I hook my turntable up to the computer? I read somewhere or other that I need to go through the amplfier to do this, which obviously makes sense, but I just want to be sure I do this correctly as i don't want to burn out my soundcard or blow up the computer. How do you actually do it? Which terminals do I use on the amplifier, and where do they hook up - to the sound card?

Sorry to sound such a dunce, but I want to tread carefully rather than do some damage by experimenting.

Thanks in advance........Tim
  • 09-28-2006, 01:54 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    You need an ADC (analog to data converter). You should connect either the tape out or the pre out from your amplifier if you have one. If you have a separate phono preamp, then you can just use that.

Then you need recording software, but the ADC should come with that.

There's even an ADC that does the RIAA eq in software, so you don't even need a phono pre -- you just hook your turntable up directly to the computer. I forget the brand name and model number, though.
  • 09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
    TimW
    LP conversion
    Okay,
    thank you for that. I wasn't aware I needed another piece of equipment in between. I hooked up my cassette deck directly to the sound card, so i figured that the turntable/amp combo would do the same.

Cheers....Tim
  • 09-28-2006, 09:02 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Okay, if that worked, then all you need is a phono preamp between the turntable and the soundcard. Sounds like your soundcard has an ADC built in.
  • 09-29-2006, 11:15 AM
    basite
    something with a phono input and an output (recording) such as a tape out or cd out will do, basically, every receiver/integrated/preamp will do, if you have one of the previous, just hook it up from the output go to the line in on your sound card.