Resident DVD Reviewer

Losing Signal From a 2nd Generation CD-R?

I am re-doing a compilation mix I made on a CD-R to re-arrange tracks and so forth, but what I need to do is this: one of the songs I need to burn comes from this original CD-R I burned, which came from an original Staind CD....would it be okay to take this one track off the old CD-R and burn it to this new CD-R Im making without loss of quality, if I am going digital? Should it matter that the generations went down one, in other words, Im not burning from the original Staind CD album, but from a mix that song is now on....will that matter quality-wise, or should I get the same playback quality?

Forum Regular
    Copies of Copies in the analog world will usually produce apparent, if often slight, degredation. Digital signals are usually correct or they fail completely, so you will probably hear little difference in your digital copy.... maybe big differences if the copy process fails or causes the need for significant error correction but otherwise there is probably little concern. Play the CD back before you close it for use on another machine to audition your results.

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mash
    Copies of Copies in the analog world will usually produce apparent, if often slight, degredation. Digital signals are usually correct or they fail completely, so you will probably hear little difference in your digital copy.... maybe big differences if the copy process fails or causes the need for significant error correction but otherwise there is probably little concern. Play the CD back before you close it for use on another machine to audition your results.
    Thanks Mash.....upon finalizing, I noticed there really wasnt a signal or volume loss between copies....still, I cant help but think that no matter how good a digital transfer is, there HAS to be some kind of degredation between generations.....no?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Thanks Mash.....upon finalizing, I noticed there really wasnt a signal or volume loss between copies....still, I cant help but think that no matter how good a digital transfer is, there HAS to be some kind of degredation between generations.....no?

Not if it is done properly. No reason to.
    mtrycrafts

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    Not if it is done properly. No reason to.
    Thanks....can you specify what you mean by done "properly"? I simply record at real time in digital mode from my CD changer to the recorder.....would this be considered properly?

Resident DVD Reviewer
    So, does anyone have any further input regarding digital signal quality when recording from a copy to a copy and then to a CD-R? Should there be any signal quality differences such as loss of volume or anything like that, or are all digital signals stable and even, assuming the equipment is working at maximum?

The connection is as follows: Marantz CC67 CD changer connected digitally to a Marantz DR700 CD recorder via high quality Monster coax cable.

Forum Regular
    Thanks....can you specify what you mean by done "properly"? I simply record at real time in digital mode from my CD changer to the recorder.....would this be considered properly?

Sorry for the delay

Some recorders are not properly implemented. Some will not do a bit perfect transfer at some speeds. Some blanks have defects themselves which excludes bit perfect copy. Other than this, no reason to have problems. Don't forget, you still have error correction algorithms.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    So, does anyone have any further input regarding digital signal quality when recording from a copy to a copy and then to a CD-R? Should there be any signal quality differences such as loss of volume or anything like that, or are all digital signals stable and even, assuming the equipment is working at maximum?

The connection is as follows: Marantz CC67 CD changer connected digitally to a Marantz DR700 CD recorder via high quality Monster coax cable.

Some recorders do have volume level adjustments. So, if it records at a lower level, that is what will happen. I don't do such tranfers just what I have been reading
    mtrycrafts

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Sorry for the delay

Some recorders are not properly implemented. Some will not do a bit perfect transfer at some speeds. Some blanks have defects themselves which excludes bit perfect copy. Other than this, no reason to have problems. Don't forget, you still have error correction algorithms.
    I understand Mrty; there can be no accounting for defective blanks, I guess....I have gotten a few of those already, where a track just wouldnt record or something like that.

What do you mean by "error correction algorithms"?

Resident DVD Reviewer
    Some recorders do have volume level adjustments. So, if it records at a lower level, that is what will happen. I don't do such tranfers just what I have been reading
    My Marantz recorder DOESNT have digital level adjustments; the only way to record digitally is to allow the machine to record the digital levels exactly from the original. There is no option to adjust the recording level DIGITALLY. What then? Is my copy of a copy of a copy still transferring digitally?

Thread Information