Forum Regular

Laser degradation on CD players?

I will be purchasing a CD player soon and I am wondering if a used model is worth it or if I should stick with new. Here is why I ask.

Brought my old Phillips Cd player in for service and was told about a different problem: the tech said the laser was only reading at about 45% capability. This was a few years ago and it still works (although it doesn't get much use these days).

Is this common for an older CD player? I will probably spend about $500 US and I am thinking I could get a better unit if I go the used route.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Yeah, it's common. You can get a little bit used -- get a Rega Planet for that price.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pkats
    I will be purchasing a CD player soon and I am wondering if a used model is worth it or if I should stick with new. Here is why I ask.

Brought my old Phillips Cd player in for service and was told about a different problem: the tech said the laser was only reading at about 45% capability. This was a few years ago and it still works (although it doesn't get much use these days).

Is this common for an older CD player? I will probably spend about $500 US and I am thinking I could get a better unit if I go the used route.

I'm not sure about whether or not laser's degrade to the point where they would be only reading at %45 of their capability.That sounds a little fishy to me for a digital product.They tend to work or not work.They can get dirty but that's not what the tech seemed to be implying.

The good news is regardless of if you buy new or used at a $500 price point you should end up with something far superior to what you have.Philip's makes great transports as many other companies use them in their players,but they are not known for their sound quality.

The Rega Dusty chaulk mentioned buying used is supposed to be a great player.I have also heard good things about Marantz CD players which you could buy new at your price point.

I wouldn't worry about the laser issue if buying used as with a good player that is virtually unheard of.Your theory about getting a higher end player if going used is logical.2 players I like are the Rotel 1072 and the Arcam 73T as either of these players could be had for well under $500 used or about $700 new.Enjoy.
    Last edited by BillyB; 01-31-2007 at 06:35 PM.

No, I don't think he meant that it was reading 45%, I think he meant the laser itself was yielding an output at 45% -- it should still work, but think about a bright laser vs. a dim laser -- the latter will be harder to read, so would yield more errors.

You know, like...do you remember when you made out in cars, and the windows would fog up? And it would be harder to see out them, so you had to clean them before you drove again? It's like that.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    No, I don't think he meant that it was reading 45%, I think he meant the laser itself was yielding an output at 45% -- it should still work, but think about a bright laser vs. a dim laser -- the latter will be harder to read, so would yield more errors.

You know, like...do you remember when you made out in cars, and the windows would fog up? And it would be harder to see out them, so you had to clean them before you drove again? It's like that.
    That makes some sense.Must be relative to the overall quality of the unit as well because my just replaced 14 year old Rotel sounded as good as the day I brought it home.It was just time for a new toy.I don't think he'll have this issue with a newer higher quality unit.

I don't buy used equipment myself,but many people swear by the savings factor.If you can get past the pre-owned issue it does make a lot of sense.I don't swap out equipment very often so I guess that makes it less appealing to me.

Test with EAC

If you have the means to connect a computer to you system, get a copy of EAC, (Exact Audio Copy), and run it in test mode to see how many errors it detects using a few CDs. Typical CDs register somewhere between 0 and 4 errors in total; if your getting a lot more than that on average, then your CD player likely has a probem of some sort, maybe the laser. If not, don't worry about the laser: it's reading fine.

Forum Regular
    Lasers in CD plays do wear out and often go through a spell where they perform poorly before complete failure. I had a Denon a few years back that skipped horridly for the first 10 or 15 minutes and then would play reasonably well. That condition continued to deteriorate until the player always skipped. I replaced the laser and I recall it cost $65 or $70 for the part. I put it in myself but that is not generally a DIY job. It is a medium difficulty job to physically install the new laser but you then need calibration equipment and a shop manual to correctly adjust it. (I have an oscilloscope and other test equipment in my basement.)

You cannot look at a CD player's age and guess the condition of the laser as that is use dependent. If someone is playing their music all day long their 3 or 4 year old CDP may be in worse shape than a 10 year old one that was used a couple hours a week. Therefore if you buy used you'd be better off with a unit you can check out in advance of purchase.

Jives with my experience

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    You cannot look at a CD player's age and guess the condition of the laser as that is use dependent. If someone is playing their music all day long their 3 or 4 year old CDP may be in worse shape than a 10 year old one that was used a couple hours a week. Therefore if you buy used you'd be better off with a unit you can check out in advance of purchase.
    My Technics SL-PS70 is 16 years old but still works fine; (though nowadays I use it only as a transport). On the other hand for most of its life the average playing time was only 2-3 hours per week.
    Last edited by Feanor; 02-01-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the info.
    I don't remember exactly what the tech said as this was a few years ago. The system is in a partially finished, unheated attic that I only use 5-6 mos. out of the year and very sparingly at that. As long as it works I'm not going to mess with it. If it goes out maybe I will see about getting it repaired.

I will start to look for slightly used units of the suggested models among others.
    Good point, mlsstl, about actual playing hours but, are there any tips on making sure the unit is in good shape other than just listening? Any warning signs I should look for?
    Unfortunately, my computer ability doesn't allow me to experiment that way.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Forum Regular
    Feanor, the unit I am going to replace in my main system is a Technics SL-P370. It is probably around 13 yrs old and it's having trouble sometimes reading CD's to begin with - almost like it has to warm up?
    I think it's time for something new - all shiney and sparkley - ooohhh!
    (Yes, I guess the audio bug that bit me years ago has infected me again, after a long remission.)

Thanks again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyB
    I don't think he'll have this issue with a newer higher quality unit.
    I quoted this statement for emphasis -- I agree with it.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Go for it!

Feanor, the unit I am going to replace in my main system is a Technics SL-P370. It is probably around 13 yrs old and it's having trouble sometimes reading CD's to begin with - almost like it has to warm up?
    I think it's time for something new - all shiney and sparkley - ooohhh!
    (Yes, I guess the audio bug that bit me years ago has infected me again, after a long remission.)

Thanks again for the info.
    Yeah, I was in audiophile remission myself for a few years, (roughly 1982 - 2001). The old CDPs typically have much less good DACs than even the cheaper players today. So you'll not only fix your misreading problem but get better sound too.

Forum Regular
    One simple thing to look for in a CD player (besides skipping when playing) is how quickly a CD registers when inserted or the tray is closed. By "register" I mean for the track count, time and what ever other info to appear on the player's display screen.

Try this with a variety of CDs and CDRs. If you find the player is having to work hard or is taking a long time to register then you might want to be careful. (Cautionary note, while I can't give any brands off the top of my head, I have heard that some players are slow in this regard even when new.)

Thread Information