Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Laptop Music

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I own a Fubar II DAC and have been happy with it so far. I also use WMP, usually play lossless WAV files, ripped from CD by WMP.

Feanor here uses a program called Foobar2000 to play his files, and claims it's better than most programs as it by passes some of the Operating Systems 'circuitry'. I've tried it but haven't successfully gotten around to understand it like WMP but then I haven't taken the time.

I had the Fubar I, first version. Great little device. Don't you find it lacks power though? Signal strength is low. Aside from that it processes really well and is really musical. I could listen with the Fubar and never fatigue. I also found that I didn't really have to do too much with windows other than turn off any sounds so my music wouldn't get interrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I had the Fubar I, first version. Great little device. Don't you find it lacks power though? Signal strength is low. Aside from that it processes really well and is really musical. I could listen with the Fubar and never fatigue. I also found that I didn't really have to do too much with windows other than turn off any sounds so my music wouldn't get interrupted.
    As far as signal strength goes, I can't say it's weak. I simply adjust the output volume (gain) on the computer and keep the volume on my integrated amplifier constant, usually at 12 o'clock on the volume pot.
    What's bizarre is that the gain on the computer seems to go up exponentially. At mid-point, the output is quite low, but as you go up from there, it increases exponentially quickly.Lucky there's the gain on the actual program which you can use (Windows media player in my case), so it's not too difficult to fine tune.

Ultimately, it'd be better mated to a power amp as the extra gain adjustment is unnecessary. But that would require checking output and input impedance of the DAC and power amp for compatibility between the two.

Yeah I like WMP or at least the newer versions of it. The version I have has wmp(lossless) and wav files. Which ones are better. the WMP(lossless) files seem to take up more file space but I don't have a dac yet so I can't test for myself. Just want your esperience with both to see which to use to rip to my pc.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

As far as signal strength goes, I can't say it's weak. I simply adjust the output volume (gain) on the computer and keep the volume on my integrated amplifier constant, usually at 12 o'clock on the volume pot.
    What's bizarre is that the gain on the computer seems to go up exponentially. At mid-point, the output is quite low, but as you go up from there, it increases exponentially quickly.Lucky there's the gain on the actual program which you can use (Windows media player in my case), so it's not too difficult to fine tune.

Ultimately, it'd be better mated to a power amp as the extra gain adjustment is unnecessary. But that would require checking output and input impedance of the DAC and power amp for compatibility between the two.
    BTW AA, do you use the stock wall wart? Try buying a proper 24V adaptor for it. I did and was rewarded big time...You say you have your master volume at 12 o'clock?!? That sounds like a weak signal to me. On my integrated, if I put my volume to 12 with my Spitfire, it would be louder than all hell. Anyhow, not trying to tell you how your set up is, if you're happy with it, great. Like I said, I loved it but it just didn't cut it strength wise.

BTW AA, do you use the stock wall wart? Try buying a proper 24V adaptor for it. I did and was rewarded big time...You say you have your master volume at 12 o'clock?!? That sounds like a weak signal to me. On my integrated, if I put my volume to 12 with my Spitfire, it would be louder than all hell. Anyhow, not trying to tell you how your set up is, if you're happy with it, great. Like I said, I loved it but it just didn't cut it strength wise.
    If by wall wart you mean power supply, then yes, I do. You reckon I should swap it for something better? What should I be looking at? Speaking of which, earlier this year, I accidentally plugged it into my 12V Trends TA-10.1 integrate after wich the amp was toast... NOT good!

Back to signal strength. You misunderstood what I said. I adjust the volume on the the computer, and as such, the computer (with the DAC) serve as the pre amp if you like. I only set it to 12'oclock on the amp because I can adjust the volume on the computer (so that I can have a decent 'range'). The volume on the amp stays at 12 o'clock, because i never need it higher than that. When I max the gain on the computer (and have the volume on the amp at 12o'clock, it's loud as all get out.
    I've tried to make it clear so I hope you understand

If by wall wart you mean power supply, then yes, I do. You reckon I should swap it for something better? What should I be looking at? Speaking of which, earlier this year, I accidentally plugged it into my 12V Trends TA-10.1 integrate after wich the amp was toast... NOT good!

Back to signal strength. You misunderstood what I said. I adjust the volume on the the computer, and as such, the computer (with the DAC) serve as the pre amp if you like. I only set it to 12'oclock on the amp because I can adjust the volume on the computer (so that I can have a decent 'range'). The volume on the amp stays at 12 o'clock, because i never need it higher than that. When I max the gain on the computer (and have the volume on the amp at 12o'clock, it's loud as all get out.
    I've tried to make it clear so I hope you understand

Gotcha! Sorry AA, been finding lately that understanding can be tough on these forums. Visit your local surplus/electronics store and start with a standard adaptor. IMO, Firestone dropped the ball on the power supplies for Fubar and Spitfire. Feel your Fubar's supply, a little flimsy no? Anything will be an improvement however a really good 24V should be audible.

You're right a typed conversation isn't the same.
    The PS is definitely flimsy but I'm a little sceptical about these types of upgrades. What would make a big difference is speaker placement but my current room is horrible (hard walls terrible echo etc) and no room for the speakers to go on stands so they're on my desk. Hopefully I'll be graduating by the end of the school year so I'll be able to settle down
    Thanks for the advice though, I may check it out sometime.

You're right a typed conversation isn't the same.
    The PS is definitely flimsy but I'm a little sceptical about these types of upgrades. What would make a big difference is speaker placement but my current room is horrible (hard walls terrible echo etc) and no room for the speakers to go on stands so they're on my desk. Hopefully I'll be graduating by the end of the school year so I'll be able to settle down
    Thanks for the advice though, I may check it out sometime.

Student huh? Well if money is an issue maybe this link can provide some DIY inspiration at the least....

Great stuff here, grab a coffee, your fave headphones and read!!

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Access...ment_Articles/

That's a lot of info! Tanx.
    I'll probably look into sorting acousticss when I'm settled in the future
    PS: Is that London England you live or London elsewhere?

That's a lot of info! Tanx.
    I'll probably look into sorting acousticss when I'm settled in the future
    PS: Is that London England you live or London elsewhere?
    London, Ontario, Canada. We even have the river Thames. That link isn't just for an established residence or permanent home. There's alot of easy concepts in some of those articles that you could apply to your dwelling AA. Speaker placement being one of them. Also easy ways to rid a room of echo. Also, the adaptor "upgrade" is cheap and easy in terms of value. You should put much stock in it, can make a huge difference, depends on the device. Cheers...

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I just bought an amp, I'm not sure if anyone has heard of Neuhuas Labs T-2. It has a built in USB and Toslink input with two DAC's. I plug my Mac and PC into and it sounds great, iTunes or Songbird.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy page
    I just bought an amp, I'm not sure if anyone has heard of Neuhuas Labs T-2. It has a built in USB and Toslink input with two DAC's. I plug my Mac and PC into and it sounds great, iTunes or Songbird.
    Sounds great Jimmy and welcome to AR! I would love to have an integrated unit. I know that the Macs also come with built in dacs now. Not sure which models, perhaps just the more high end.

What's bizarre is that the gain on the computer seems to go up exponentially. At mid-point, the output is quite low, but as you go up from there, it increases exponentially quickly.
    That's referred to as a log taper (as in logarithmic) as opposed to a linear taper. And yes, it does work as you say.

Here's everything you always wanted to know about pots. Not the singular case.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat

Here's everything you always wanted to know about pots. Not the singular case.

rw
    I can't say I'll be reading it all, however, merci beaucoup!
    I need to give a clarification though: this is no volume pot. It's the windows output volume control you have usually next to the time on the bottom right part of the screen (Windows XP in my case). It's adjusted electronically

Cool link E-Stat. I am having problems with my Citizen JSA-8's balance pot right now. It's in the loving hands of a great tech, but it looks like he's going to have to trace it back into the board. Stage is a little wonky and horribly innaccurate. Good enough for casual, background type listening but since I am the type to sit and just listen, no good.

I do love that amp and hope he can fix it up. Did you see the thread for it E-Stat? It's in the vintage section somewhere. No one has ever seen this thing, it looks like re-badged Kenwood or maybe Pioneer. It has a great phono stage, very powerful. Overall it's probably in the A/B category although I am not sure, there's almost no info available.

Maybe you would have some info?

I can't say I'll be reading it all, however, merci beaucoup!
    If nothing else, just look at the gain curve to illustrate the different profiles between a linear and log taper.

I need to give a clarification though: this is no volume pot. It's the windows output volume control you have usually next to the time on the bottom right part of the screen (Windows XP in my case). It's adjusted electronically
    Whether implemented electronically or mechanically, attenuators can still be found using different taper styles.

rw

Did you see the thread for it E-Stat? It's in the vintage section somewhere... Maybe you would have some info?
    I noticed the post, but cannot add any more information. I confess that I've spent little time with receivers.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I noticed the post, but cannot add any more information. I confess that I've spent little time with receivers.

rw
    Actually, it's an integrated, not a receiver but thanks anyhow E.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information