AR Newbie Registered Member

Smile Laptop headphones

Hello friends,

i'm seeking some advice on laptop headphones. I've been using my 5.1 home computer speakers for years now and im quite satisfied with them. However, i'll only be using my laptop for the next year, so i'm planning to buy some good quality headphones (low to mid-ranged price).
    My laptop has a rather very cheap built-in soundcard, so my main concerns are sound quality and especially comfort.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
    Calvin.

Heya!

Check it out, here are some headphones in the mid-price range that I use/used and really liked:

Grado SR60
    (gave these to my girlfriend, they're nice)

Use these at work:
    Sennheiser hd497

My Review of the Sennheiser 497 and the Headroom total bithead
    The Total Bithead is like an external upgrade sound card for your computer. you may want to think about that further down the line. It sounds great.

-Eric

ps, do us a favor and click on the dealer links on the review pages! It helps keep our site going!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    hi Eric, thanks for your reply.
    I plan to mainly use the headphones to watch movies on my computer. The sennheiser-497 seems to be exactly what i need: super confort (movies usually last 2+ hours), a rather fair sound quality, a long cable and a reasonable mid-range price. One thing set me off though, it has no volume control, which means a lot to me, as i have Tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Also After reading the reviews, i still don't know how they sound through a cheap sound card (most reviews were made on portable devices).

Is there another similar model (with volume control) that you could recommend me?

Many thanks,
    Calvin

-PS- While the "Headroom total bithead" is extremely interesting, it is way up my price range. i guess i'll stick up with headphones only.

I don't know of many good headphones with volume control built in. Your laptop's sound card doesn't have a volume control? what about the volume control in whatever application you are using?

Forum Regular
    Sound quality of the phone won't be such an issue with built-in soundcards, since they're not great. The new Sennheiser HD201 is cheap (~$20) and is supposed to be good.

I like the Sennheiser PX100 and 200. These are portable headphones and might suit your laptop requirements a bit better. Neither sounds quite as good as the 497, but they're a lot more portable. The 100 is open and sound better, while the 200 is closed for more practical portable use.

Not sure why you need a volume control with a laptop right in front of your eyes... no decent headphone comes with built-in volume controls. Well, with the exception of the Audio-Technica ATH-D1000

Thread Information