Thread: Isolation feet

Forum Regular

Isolation feet

I'm just looking for feedback on the benefits of using isolation feet on a CDP. The room my stereo rack is in has a very bouncy floor and I'm wondering if this is affecting my CDP. The player doesn't skip but I can see the rack physically move when people walk past it. Most info I've found online seems to be very positive regarding adding isolation feet to components including amps and pre-amps.They suggest removing the factory feet first whenever possible. The interesting thing is some of the really cheap ones were given very good reviews.I can get a set of 4 Isonodes for $19.99 online which is obviously a very small layout if they don't make a noticable difference. I guess the reason I'm doubtful is if inexpensive isolation feet really improve sound noticably why would players such as my $700 Arcam 73T not come with them in stock form.Maybe the only worthy ones cost big money so they can't throw them in. It's just weird because the Isonodes got cudos from some very reputable sources. I'll probably just buy them for $20 and that way if they don't make a big difference it's no big loss. If I spent $150 a set I would have very high expectations and would really be pissed if they didn't help. I'm also torn on whether to put them on my amp and pre-amp.Thanks in advance for any feedback.

buy a temper-pedic matress that fits your floor. j/k.

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyB
    I'm just looking for feedback on the benefits of using isolation feet on a CDP. The room my stereo rack is in has a very bouncy floor and I'm wondering if this is affecting my CDP. The player doesn't skip but I can see the rack physically move when people walk past it. Most info I've found online seems to be very positive regarding adding isolation feet to components including amps and pre-amps.They suggest removing the factory feet first whenever possible. The interesting thing is some of the really cheap ones were given very good reviews.I can get a set of 4 Isonodes for $19.99 online which is obviously a very small layout if they don't make a noticable difference. I guess the reason I'm doubtful is if inexpensive isolation feet really improve sound noticably why would players such as my $700 Arcam 73T not come with them in stock form.Maybe the only worthy ones cost big money so they can't throw them in. It's just weird because the Isonodes got cudos from some very reputable sources. I'll probably just buy them for $20 and that way if they don't make a big difference it's no big loss. If I spent $150 a set I would have very high expectations and would really be pissed if they didn't help. I'm also torn on whether to put them on my amp and pre-amp.Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    It's because most manufactures won't pay the extra 10c it costs for vibration control or rather they think vibration control as a concept is silly.Which is the truth,that is for you to decide.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

I use isolation feet under my cd player. I always thought that minimizing vibrations would minimize laser tracking errors. The better the laser tracks the less correction would need to be performed. The better the laser reads the better the sound.

If you see your rack moving I would use a wall mounted shelf for the cdp above the rack to reduce the vibrations from footsteps. As far as solid state amps I hve not noticed any difference mounting feet or cones under solid state electronics.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I use isolation feet under my cd player. I always thought that minimizing vibrations would minimize laser tracking errors. The better the laser tracks the less correction would need to be performed. The better the laser reads the better the sound.

If you see your rack moving I would use a wall mounted shelf for the cdp above the rack to reduce the vibrations from footsteps. As far as solid state amps I hve not noticed any difference mounting feet or cones under solid state electronics.
    I agree with JM in that vibration control is a good thing for CD transports.However,my thinking is that it reduces or eliminates the vibrations from the CD spinning in the disc slot.In my case I'm using 3 model 2 vibrapods for the CA azur 640c.Two are upside down around the CD slot and the other one is right side up in the middle back.I'm assuming that since my CD player is on a glass surface this would account why there is in fact a noticable difference.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergymunster
    I agree with JM in that vibration control is a good thing for CD transports.However,my thinking is that it reduces or eliminates the vibrations from the CD spinning in the disc slot.In my case I'm using 3 model 2 vibrapods for the CA azur 640c.Two are upside down around the CD slot and the other one is right side up in the middle back.I'm assuming that since my CD player is on a glass surface this would account why there is in fact a noticable difference.
    I was also looking at the vibrapods which are only $6 a piece. I was a little unsure of which model to use as they obviously feel component weight is critical as they make 4 or 5 different models. My CDP weighs about 10lbs so I guess the model 2 would be correct for me too.Did you remove the factory feet and screw the vibrapods into the same holes. I presume not as you used 3 not 4 isolation feet.I read that using their cones in addition to the feet in combo works even better but they're $8 a piece and I don't know if that's necessary.I can't try Fergymunster's idea due to the way my entertainment rack is situated in my den.Thanks for the reply.

Santa Claus
    I was also looking at the vibrapods which are only $6 a piece. I was a little unsure of which model to use as they obviously feel component weight is critical as they make 4 or 5 different models. My CDP weighs about 10lbs so I guess the model 2 would be correct for me too.Did you remove the factory feet and screw the vibrapods into the same holes. I presume not as you used 3 not 4 isolation feet.I read that using their cones in addition to the feet in combo works even better but they're $8 a piece and I don't know if that's necessary.I can't try Fergymunster's idea due to the way my entertainment rack is situated in my den.Thanks for the reply.
    I'm confused,my CD player weighs 10.4 pounds.I went for 3 model 2 vibrapods only because it was cheaper.You could get 4 model 1 vibrapods and remove the feet or use them directly under the CD player's feet.Please do not use in conjunction with vibracones becuse it lifts the unit very high and could easly fall over.Been there done that.Also spending any more money on other vibration control options in my opinion is foolish.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergymunster
    I'm confused,my CD player weighs 10.4 pounds.I went for 3 model 2 vibrapods only because it was cheaper.You could get 4 model 1 vibrapods and remove the feet or use them directly under the CD player's feet.Please do not use in conjunction with vibracones becuse it lifts the unit very high and could easly fall over.Been there done that.Also spending any more money on other vibration control options in my opinion is foolish.
    I'm almost positive that all the different weight rated vibrapods were the same price when I checked online. No big deal as I guess I'll buy 4 model 1 or model 2 vibrapods. For $24 it's a very low risk upgrade. I think I'm going to remove the factory feet and screw the vibrapods directly to the chasis if possible. I think you're right about adding the cones in regard to height and stability so I think I'll flag that idea.

Santa Claus
    I'm almost positive that all the different weight rated vibrapods were the same price when I checked online. No big deal as I guess I'll buy 4 model 1 or model 2 vibrapods. For $24 it's a very low risk upgrade. I think I'm going to remove the factory feet and screw the vibrapods directly to the chasis if possible. I think you're right about adding the cones in regard to height and stability so I think I'll flag that idea.
    Great,hope it works out

You should get 24"x24"x2" particle board on top of your rack/table then place 18"x18"x6" slab of concrete on top of it. This works incredibly well for my Turntable that I can dance and Jazzercize without vibration feedback. And also try this out, this picture is shown w/ one screw per puck. http://gallery.audioreview.com/showp...cat=500&page=1 Now I use 3 screws per puck w/o stock feet and work even better.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    i have the vela vx11 sub with NO feet. I have it mounted on an Aurelex sub board....any need for feet on bottom of the sub?????
    thx

Thread Information