AR Newbie Registered Member

I don't know if you guys could help me on computer stuff?

I would like the greatest sound card for music. I don't really care about games. I already have an Audigy 2 matched with an Integra DTR-6.2 amplifier and a set of 6 Paradigm speakers, but I'm wondering if there is something with higher sound definition. I know that I'm limited with 16bits audio but is the the Audigy 2 already good to perfectly reproduce 16bits sound data? Maybe an other soundcard manifacturer manage better the frequency to each channel?

Forum Regular
    I am detecting some clues that you are laboring under some misconceptions. What exactly do you mean by "higher sound defintion"? Audio is judged by the range and "flatness" (balance) of frequency (tone) response, the amount of noise in the sound, and the amount of distortion (noise can be consider as part of distortion). "Definition" is a dangerous and non-scientific concept in regard to audio.

Note also that audio card does not create sound, speakers do and they are likely to affect what you hear much much more than the card. Audio card produce electrical signals.

That said, cards do vary in their electrical performance, mainly in regard to noise as computers are electrically "noisy". Also, while a card may work with 16 bits (which provides all the frequencies we can hear), it might give less than 16 bit performance because of inferior parts or design. What you can do is check the specifications of the card in regard to frequency response, noise, and distortion and hope that the company is not lying and that you don't have a defective card. If the card does not give these specs, I would assume they don't want you to know (i.e., the specs suck).

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by eejad
    I would like the greatest sound card for music. I don't really care about games. I already have an Audigy 2 matched with an Integra DTR-6.2 amplifier and a set of 6 Paradigm speakers, but I'm wondering if there is something with higher sound definition. I know that I'm limited with 16bits audio but is the the Audigy 2 already good to perfectly reproduce 16bits sound data? Maybe an other soundcard manifacturer manage better the frequency to each channel?
    Well the best thing to do in my opinion is to remove the D/A function from the computer altogether. I ripped all my CDs to WAV or lossless FLAC. I stream the digits through a USB audio device which has a nice sounding built in DAC and a digital coax or toslink to feed an external DAC. Removing the D/A conversion from the noisy computer environment is a good idea. The device is only $100.
    HiFi Link

Wouldn't the Audigy with the external box do the same thing though? I'm not sure myself, just wondering...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JamezHill
    Wouldn't the Audigy with the external box do the same thing though? I'm not sure myself, just wondering...
    Sure, I don't know the config of the Audigy. Anything that allows the bits flow over the USB channel to an isolated (from the PC) source where the data is delivered through a dig coax/toslink would be a good choice. The HiFi Link built in DAC is fairly well regarded (ie in the realm of a nice Philips CD player built in DAC), I know nothing of Audigy, however I use a nice old Adcom DAC which yields excellent results.

re MP3, we're talking a lossy format, so the benefits of isolation are probably moot, since the source is reconsituted anyway. I do play mp3/wav/flac/lossless wma and streams through the device, however.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RobotCzar
    I am detecting some clues that you are laboring under some misconceptions. What exactly do you mean by "higher sound defintion"? Audio is judged by the range and "flatness" (balance) of frequency (tone) response, the amount of noise in the sound, and the amount of distortion (noise can be consider as part of distortion). "Definition" is a dangerous and non-scientific concept in regard to audio.

Note also that audio card does not create sound, speakers do and they are likely to affect what you hear much much more than the card. Audio card produce electrical signals.

That said, cards do vary in their electrical performance, mainly in regard to noise as computers are electrically "noisy". Also, while a card may work with 16 bits (which provides all the frequencies we can hear), it might give less than 16 bit performance because of inferior parts or design. What you can do is check the specifications of the card in regard to frequency response, noise, and distortion and hope that the company is not lying and that you don't have a defective card. If the card does not give these specs, I would assume they don't want you to know (i.e., the specs suck).
    I agree with Zonik...the best thing you can do is remove your computer from the picture by sending a direct digital signal to your receiver. If your computer is in the same room as your audio equipment, that Xitel he suggested will do the trick. If not, check out the Apple Airport with Airtunes (about $120) or my favorite, the Slim Devices Squeezebox (about $300).

If your computer is in the same room as your audio equip, honestly the best thing you can probably do to improve the sound is move it to a different room, as removing the background noise from the PC fans will do more than any sound card upgrade.

Forum Regular
    My computer is in the basement with a toslink through the floor.....

Thread Information