• 11-23-2006, 05:54 PM
    swwdts
    I am wanting better computer video ...
    I am wanting to have good V & Audio.Would the Ghz or Gb have to be high to have a better Video picture?If so,which would be better to have high Ghz or high Gb or does it have to be a good video card? :confused5:
  • 11-24-2006, 12:29 AM
    royphil345
    For better video, a video card upgrade will make the most difference. The faster the processor and more memory you have supporting it, the better. The type of interface you have available on the mainboard can limit a video card's performance / speed of data flow (PCI, AGP 2X, 4X, or 8X, PCI express...)

The thing to watch with video card upgrades is to make sure the power supply in your machine is robust enough to handle the extra demand. An upgrade is often required. Better video cards can drain alot of wattage.

It would be much easier to help knowing what you have now (processor speed?, memory?,current video specs?, AVG 2X, 4X, 8X or PCI express slot? power supply wattage or computer make / model?) and what kind of improvement you're looking for. What you want to do with the computer... Games?, Video recording / playback? What exact problems are you having when trying to acheive that now? With Vista coming out... it's only a matter of time until 64 bit capable dual or quad-core processors become the norm. Most add on cards will soon be PCI express. Older PCI and AVG cards will become useless. I wouldn't spend a fortune upgrading an older machine right now. Though, it's often possible to make a few significant improvements on an older machine for not much money by buying older technology that's still better than what you have now... Or you could start upgrading your machine to state of the art piece by piece... Only buying what's future-proof for awhile and replacing whatever else you need to use it... Major rebuild not recomended if you don't have your own software. Factory restore disks won't work after you start making major changes to the computer. Decent troubleshooting and software / driver installation skills also required. Just about every aspect of computer building is well covered on the internet though and nothing's too difficult at all. If you do the research, buy compatable stuff... it's pretty much plug 'n play these days...
  • 11-24-2006, 01:16 PM
    swwdts
    Thanks! Your info. has given me a lot to think about. I will have to ask my brother in law who built it about the stuff you said I should find out about.All I know about it is that it has WXP & W2000 installed.Thanks again!