Thread: Holy smokes!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Holy smokes!

I've just upgraded my computer audio system and it's got my head spinning. My computer audio speaker system is a Cambridge Soundworks 210d, and I've been pretty happy with it up until now. What got me started with the upgrade itch was that recently I've changed out my main Home Theater setup with a killer Axiom system. That left a lot of speakers just lying around over here, and it got me thinking....what would it sound like if I changed out my satellite speakers on my Computer system with a pair of them?

I use a pair of Cambridge Soundworks S300 multipole for surround speakers in my HT, and since they were just doing nothing for the time being I changed them out with the MC50 cubes that I was using with the 210d. My first thoughts on powering up these speakers were "Yeah baby!!!" It was like getting a brand new system! One that plays louder, cleaner, and with better resolution. The midrange is more solid now, and even at low volumes music has more weight to it, and depth to boot! I feel like I hit the lottery, there's no way these speakers are going back into my HT.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Computer audio can sound pretty good, eh Geoff? What kind of sound card/interface are you using to get the music off the computer? Be careful, this is a whole area to blow money on!

eric

Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    Computer audio can sound pretty good, eh Geoff? What kind of sound card/interface are you using to get the music off the computer? Be careful, this is a whole area to blow money on!

eric
    Yet another frontier for our money to explore.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

eric
    Good is an understatement! I'm counting the minutes till I can get back to my office and crank some mp3's on the new system. I've ripped a lot of my cd's at 320k, and they sound pretty good on there. Not the last word in sound mind you, but a lot of fun to liten to. My computer doesn't have the best sound card in the house, that would be my daughter's computer with an Creative Audigy card, but the SB Live 24 card I use does pretty good with stereo.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

So now, in line with the discussion about the panasonic receivers in that other thread, you have to try a nice external soundcard putting out a digital signal to one of those panny digital receivers!! I guarantee, you'll be amazed! 128k internet radio will knock your socks off!!

e

So now, in line with the discussion about the panasonic receivers in that other thread, you have to try a nice external soundcard putting out a digital signal to one of those panny digital receivers!! I guarantee, you'll be amazed! 128k internet radio will knock your socks off!!

e
    I actually DO that with the 210d. I'm running a digital stream from the soundcard to the unit. I would like to see how much better the oversampling soundcards have come. Most all now are 192/24. Which soundcard are you running?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

OK, looks good! What turned you on to this unit?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    OK, looks good! What turned you on to this unit?
    You know, I can't remember now. I think my buddy who's heavily into pro recording first told me about it, and it seemed to meet a lot of criteria for me:

-analog and digital outputs
    -external power supply
    -recording analog (haven't actually done this yet)

I also read some good reviews of it on AudioAsylum saying it was good for home audio, so I took a chance. Got it on ebay for $160 or something.

I just check out that CS 210D you have, i didn't know anything about it. Looks cool! Those two will probably be great together.

You know, I can't remember now. I think my buddy who's heavily into pro recording first told me about it, and it seemed to meet a lot of criteria for me:

-analog and digital outputs
    -external power supply
    -recording analog (haven't actually done this yet)

I also read some good reviews of it on AudioAsylum saying it was good for home audio, so I took a chance. Got it on ebay for $160 or something.

I just check out that CS 210D you have, i didn't know anything about it. Looks cool! Those two will probably be great together.
    I really like the idea of an external power supply. That's what seperates my pre-amp from the rest of the pack, as it also uses a high voltage external power supply (in addition to being passivecapable). Makes for a really black soundfloor.

Yeah, I really like my 210d. This is my third set of computer speakers on my office rig, the first two being CSW Microworks. I started this computer audio journey way back in 98. Now that I'm using the S300 sattilites hooked up to the 210d it's like a brave new world here. Rock on!!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Thread Information