• 01-05-2005, 08:13 PM
    carracr625
    DVD player won't read discs!
    Ok, I just replaced my 5yr old Sony DVD changer with a higher end unit. The Sony has only been out of use for about 2 weeks. I just hooked it up to the TV in my bedroom, and now it won't read discs. My initial thought was that from moving it around the lens got dirty. So, I bought a DVD lens cleaner disc, but the player won't read that disc in order for it to work. Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this? By the way, it is hooked up properly and I haven't dropped it or anything. It powers on and cycles through all the disc slots, but reads NO DISC!
  • 01-06-2005, 02:58 AM
    ruadmaa
    DVD Player
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carracr625
    Ok, I just replaced my 5yr old Sony DVD changer with a higher end unit. The Sony has only been out of use for about 2 weeks. I just hooked it up to the TV in my bedroom, and now it won't read discs. My initial thought was that from moving it around the lens got dirty. So, I bought a DVD lens cleaner disc, but the player won't read that disc in order for it to work. Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this? By the way, it is hooked up properly and I haven't dropped it or anything. It powers on and cycles through all the disc slots, but reads NO DISC!

Looks like you've got a new piece of equipment for landfill. It will cost you more to have it looked at or repaired than what it's worth. I had a similar problem with a Memorex drive in my computer and they replaced it (still under warranty) I don't think there is any quick fix for this problem. Good Luck!!
  • 01-06-2005, 04:23 AM
    N. Abstentia
    Sounds like your optical pickup is shot. It should still be under warranty since you just got it.
  • 01-06-2005, 06:40 AM
    royphil345
    You could try...
    Unfortunately, 5 years is a ripe, old age for a DVD player. Think that's past the average life-span. Does seem suspicious that it didn't stop working until you moved it though. As a last resort, you could try removing the top cover (should just be a few screws on the sides and upper back of the unit) and very gently cleaning the lens with a Q-tip moistened with alcohol. You could actually damage the optical pickup like this, but as a last resort before throwing it out, it's worth a shot.
  • 01-06-2005, 07:08 AM
    N. Abstentia
    Oh I must have misunderstood...I thought it was the new player that was messing up.

Heck yeah, throw that 5 year old Sony away. You can get a far better player for $60 now. Those old Sony's (as well as the new Sony's) are not great players.
  • 01-06-2005, 07:49 PM
    carracr625
    Thanks for the input guys. I thought it was strange that it didn't happen until it was left unused for a period of time. I figured there may have been something worth trying. I'll take the cover off and check it out, but I'm not all that pressed about it. Thanks again.