nightflier

DVD Player with great sound?

OK I've been put on notice. The wife wants a DVD player in the living room. She figures that since we have a TV there (also her idea), that we should have a DVD player as well. Unfortunately this was my space for auditioning equipment, and I have several components set up just for that (spectrum analyser, speaker selector, etc.).

Now it all has to go, except for the Polk speakers, because she likes them. She wants a small but "neat looking" DVD player and a receiver without "all those wires everywhere," while I want to at least have the satisfaction of having a good sounding 2-channel music system. So I start thinking, OK a nice Creek or Audio Refinement preamp with a beautifully clean tube amp....Not! We've been put on a budget. So my task is to find:

- a DVD player that has excellent sound and has good build-quality so that it will handle the abuses of everyday finger-poking. The players at local stores are all rather flimsy to me.

- A very simple receiver that will handle video switching. Likewise, great sound is the goal and it doesn't need component video, just s-video.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    OK I've been put on notice. The wife wants a DVD player in the living room. She figures that since we have a TV there (also her idea), that we should have a DVD player as well. Unfortunately this was my space for auditioning equipment, and I have several components set up just for that (spectrum analyser, speaker selector, etc.).

Now it all has to go, except for the Polk speakers, because she likes them. She wants a small but "neat looking" DVD player and a receiver without "all those wires everywhere," while I want to at least have the satisfaction of having a good sounding 2-channel music system. So I start thinking, OK a nice Creek or Audio Refinement preamp with a beautifully clean tube amp....Not! We've been put on a budget. So my task is to find:

- a DVD player that has excellent sound and has good build-quality so that it will handle the abuses of everyday finger-poking. The players at local stores are all rather flimsy to me.

- A very simple receiver that will handle video switching. Likewise, great sound is the goal and it doesn't need component video, just s-video.
    If you use a receiver, that has a digital converter athen you can use a digital audio cable from the DVD player. Then it is not an issue for you. Get one that meets you playback needs in video and audio. You should look for a universal player that plays all the popular audio encodes.
    mtrycrafts

Marantz DV6400 was at the top of my list for that exact thing. I ordered mine from hifi.com and they have 18 months interest free financing

Forum Regular

I would try the Panasonic xr45 receiver or its soon to be released replacement, assuming it will drive the Polks. For a review, go to:

http://www.stereotimes.com/amp040104.shtm

Forum Regular

Why not sony

Sony DVD players probably have the highest quality to cost ratio:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...P%2fB&Dept=hav

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckman
    Sony DVD players probably have the highest quality to cost ratio:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...P%2fB&Dept=hav
    Nightflier also is looking for a receiver. The Panasonic xr45 I mentioned is a HT receiver with a digital amplifier. From what I have read on other forums, many audiophiles are very impressed with the xr45, claiming it gives excellent 2-channel performance at a budget price.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

i agree

BeckmanSony DVD players probably have the highest quality to cost ratio:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...5P%2fB&Dept=hav

i snagged an inexpensive ns500v for $169 delivered (long discontinued) and couldnt be happier. its a good dvdp, sacd playback is VERY nice, and the rbcd playback is exemplary.

i see the sony offering a changer (dvp-nc675) for $250 and a 400 disc juke (dvp-cx985v) for $400. i would be very surprised if the rbcd performance were grossly different from mine, and YES, they DO sound different. the ns500v is the best sounding rbcd player i have ever had in my system.

street prices of these players should be less than list, i would suspect.
    ...regards...tr

nightflier

Thanks for all the input

Thanks for all the input. The Marantz 6400 DVD player is a very nice unit. I've never owned Marantz so I'm a bit aprehensive but they do get some very good reviews. Hifitommy, I know the benefits of SACD, but with a 2 channel system, this is probably overkill. The Panasonic XR45 also peaks my curiosity. It reminds me of the HK DPR-1001, but not as ugly and a whole lot less expensive (you'd think they would have come down to less than $450 by now). Unfortunately the Panasonic is pretty hard to find right now, and telling my wife we'll have to wait is not on the top of my list of things to tell her about this. Someone also mentioned NAD, and I like what I've read, especially their DVD players, but again, finding a dealer is problematic, especially online....

I should have emphasized that the receiver & DVD player need to look as simple to use as possible; the fewer buttons, the better. Maybe someting that has a cover to hide most of the buttons. Basically, I'm hoping to find the spartan functionality of a hifi preamp but with video switching. It's killing us that the fewer buttons a component has, the more it has to cost.... This discussion/situation all started a few months ago when I was auditioning a Creek Audio 5350 unit here (great sound, by the way) and the wife loved it. Then I explained that it would not do video switching and I must have mentioned how much it cost and, well, she made me return it pretty quickly....

Forum Regular

Onkyo TX-8511

I own an onkyo TX-8511(msg. retail $299). About a year ago I purchased a Myryad Z140(msg. retail $900). Although the Myryad does sound much better, The Onkyo TX-8511 was a very nice receiver. It effortlessly drove my Infinity IL-40's. It blew the 100x2 Pioneer and Kenwwod equivalents out of the water in terms of depth of sound. It is the only mass market receiver that I have ever heard where it was not necessary to adjust the bass or treble. Leaving them flat produced rock solid bass, and fairly detailed highs. That is not to say you can't get a better receiver for $200+ more, but I can't immagine any reciever in its price range having a better amplifier, or being easier to use. The bass, and treble controls are located rate on the front of the unit. All buttons are clearly marked.

Read the reviews on the TX-8511. You will find poor reviews when comparing it to integrated amps costing three times as much, but rave reviews when comparing it to other two channel mass market A/V recievers.

I would also suggest going to your local Circuit CIty, American, or other consumer electroncs store and comparing it to other recivers. At circuit city you can always return it if you find something better.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

overkill?

no, the sacdp isnt overkill. i only use my sony for 2 channel, the rears are derived from dynaquad, a passive surround that only need stereo sources. my pre/pro doesnt have the requisite six channels of input for the discreet surround playback. besides, DPL or DPLII can be used for surround from a stereo input.

i set the sony for stereo playback and that simplifies my life.
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular

Try the Denon DVD-9000 - IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

Maybe someday I will have something like this...

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pro...=1&c=57#PID671

DVD-9000
    THX Ultra Progressive Scan DVD-Audio/Video Player • THX Ultra Certified • Powered by the latest Silicon Image/DVDO PureProgressive (SiI504) Decoding Engine - highest quality progressive decoding engine available • Accurate 2:3 pulldown detection and reconstruction • Optimum processing for film content, video content, graphics content and mixed-mode content • New ESS Vibratto ES6038F MPEG/DVD-Audio Decoder • New highest resolution Analog Devices 108 MHz, 44, 14 bit Video D/A Conversion system featuring Noise Shaped Video processing(progressive and interlace output) • 4x Oversampling Progressive and 8x Interlace output • (2)Composite and (2)"S" outputs • 2X DVD read speed; 4X CD/CD-R/CD-RW read speed; with 4MB drive buffer memory • 4:3 Squeeze and Zoom Controls • Top audio performance, featuring 8 Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz PCM 1704 Audio DACs, with 2 per Main L/R Channels in differential mode • Pure Direct Modes to defeat unneeded portions of player for the ultimate in audio performance • Full Digital Bass Management for DVD-Audio, featuring Analog Devices 32-bit processor; 80Hz crossover with 12dB high and 24dB low pass slopes; Adjustable delay time • HDCD decoding • AL24 Processing Plus • MP3 Playback • Plays Audio/Video CDs; HDCDs; DVD-Video; DVD-R/RW (conditional); Audio CD-R/RW; MP3 CD-R/RW (128 or higher kbps recommended) • JPEG photo file viewer and Kodak Picture CD compatible • 24/96 digital outputs; optical and coaxial • Optical and Digital Inputs to allow player to be used as outboard D/A converter • DENON Link for connection to AVR-5803 • Internal Copper construction, and multi-layer top and bottom plates • 3 box, 6 block internal layout to isolate analog, digital and video circuits • RS-232C and remote in/out ports • Backlit remote control • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 5.4"h x 16.2"d • Weight: 40.8lbs. • Download Setup Tips for DVD-Audio Playback in pdf format, click on tech note icon (Updated My 28, 2003)

Thread Information