Audio Enthusiast

Which CD Changers

I would like to purchase a high-end CD changer (5 disc) which has capability to play MP3 as well. Given a choice between Marantz CC-4001 and Denon DCM-390 which one is better ?
    Anyone experienced this unit ? Don't know why they look pretty much alike to each others (just wonder if Marantz and Denon both comes from same owner). Thanks for your opinon.

Linear Guy

That's tough

I think its hard to find audiophile reviews of CD changers, especially the two you are referencing. Most folks will comment on the convenience factor of these units but you're not going to read critical comments on the sonic qualities. Of your two choices, I would pick the Marantz. It has better DACs than the DENON and is heavier which might translate into better sound. I had the DENON 380 version which is a previous incarnation of the 390. It was serviceable but sounded quite flat when I got my Cambridge 640. that is why I recommend the Marantz. Also, the inexpensive Marantz single disc players are well thought of in terms of sound/value and on that basis the Marantz changer might be a good risk. Good Luck

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by daviethek
    I think its hard to find audiophile reviews of CD changers, especially the two you are referencing. Most folks will comment on the convenience factor of these units but you're not going to read critical comments on the sonic qualities. Of your two choices, I would pick the Marantz. It has better DACs than the DENON and is heavier which might translate into better sound. I had the DENON 380 version which is a previous incarnation of the 390. It was serviceable but sounded quite flat when I got my Cambridge 640. that is why I recommend the Marantz. Also, the inexpensive Marantz single disc players are well thought of in terms of sound/value and on that basis the Marantz changer might be a good risk. Good Luck
    Thank you, what do you mean by "risk" with Marantz CD changer ? Marantz CC-4001 uses 16-bit processing while Denon 390 uses 20-bit processing. This makes Denon 390 produce more depth sound. Am I correct ? When using Denon 380 have you ever had any problem like disc skipping (heard that Denon is very picky on disc reading ...)

Thread Information