AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Help selecting a good CD player, please!!

I need your wisdom in selecting a good CD player...my budget is under $1000

Some Background
    I'm trying to set up a nice stereo system in my basement. I've been doing some research and auditioning some equipment for some time. The problem I encountered is that sound in the dealer's room is not going to be the same in my basement. I wanted some good speakers and started looking at B&W, paradigm, vienna, etc...but I didn't have amp, pre-amp, nor cd player.

Getting to the point
    I decided to start small. I bought a set of sennheiser headphones that I listen with a discman for lack of a player. My approach is to get the headphones with a musical fidelity headphones amp, then the CD player, which is what I need your help on. Then I will be able to get the rest of the equipment for a later date.

Hope it makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your advise
    Last edited by cocolalo; 01-30-2004 at 11:31 AM. Reason: syntax errors

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cocolalo
    I need your wisdom in selecting a good CD player...my budget is under $1000

Some Background
    I'm trying to set up a nice stereo system in my basement. I've been doing some research and auditioning some equipment for some time. The problem I encountered is that sound in the dealer's room is not going to be the same in my basement. I wanted some good speakers and started looking at B&W, paradigm, vienna, etc...but I didn't have amp, pre-amp, nor cd player.

Getting to the point
    I decided to start small. I bought a set of sennheiser headphones that I listen with a discman for lack of a player. My approach is to get the headphones with a musical fidelity headphones amp, then the CD player, which is what I need your help on. Then I will be able to get the rest of the equipment for a later date.

Hope it makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your advise
    I think your approach of starting with the source and buying forward makes sense. I would start with an inexpensive DVD player that I could use as a benchmark to compare with other players and have the added benefit of using it for DVD's. A changer from a discounter such as BB or CC might be considered. Another possibility is the Pioneer PIODV563AS, which I believe plays SACD's as well as DVD's, and is available from AudioAdvisor for about $180. When ready to move upscale, I would consider the Sony's, Rotel's, Rega's, and possibly a tubed player such as a AH! Njoe Tjoeb. This is not intended to be a complete list. Reading the reviews submitted on this site may help you decide what you would like to try. I hope you have fun.

Thread Information