meteo man

Sonic differences between a Toshibsa SD-2700 DVD player and a dedicated CD player

Hi I am relatively new to these forums and I have a question that hopefully has not been asked before. I currently have an Adcom GFA-535-II amp, an Adcom GTP preamp/tuner, a pair of Paradigm 9mkII speakers and a Toshiba SD-2700 DVD player that serves as my CD player. Given the fact that my system is rather modest, will there be a sonic difference between the Toshiba DVD player when playing CDs and a budget audiophile dedicated Cd player such as the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C player? If so how much of a difference will it be? Will it be dramatic or subtle?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by edlchiang62
    Hi I am relatively new to these forums and I have a question that hopefully has not been asked before. I currently have an Adcom GFA-535-II amp, an Adcom GTP preamp/tuner, a pair of Paradigm 9mkII speakers and a Toshiba SD-2700 DVD player that serves as my CD player. Given the fact that my system is rather modest, will there be a sonic difference between the Toshiba DVD player when playing CDs and a budget audiophile dedicated Cd player such as the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C player? If so how much of a difference will it be? Will it be dramatic or subtle?
    The only way to find out is try it in your system if you can. That being said, my personal vote would be to go for the Cambridge. They are known for making fantastic bang-for-the-buck components. I am currently using one of their integrated amps and the sound blows the doors off my old reciever. Another factor to consider is that you'll generally (but not always) get better sound out of a dedicated CD player than a similarly priced DVD player. The reason? Simple. If a component has to do less, the manufacturer can spend more money using higher quality parts. So by that rationale, a $500 CD player would sound better than a $500 DVD player playing CDs. And really, Cambridge is truly a fantastic company when you consider the price/performance ratio.
    Mike

Forum Regular
    I have a Toshiba 2705, and while the picture quality is good, the audio DAC is lousy - horrid to say the least.

I compared it to my old, reliable Adcom GDA-600 external DAC, and the difference in sound reproduction was a crime. Like somebody took a layer of cardboard off my speakers and spread them 5 feet further apart in terms of soundstage.

meteo man
    Maybe because my system is modest (Adcom GFA-535 II amp, Adcom GTP-400 pream/tuner and Paradigm Perfomance v2 speakers), but I could not hear much of a difference between CD music played in the Toshiba SD2700 player and a Rotel RCD-1070 player. The differences were subtle at best.
    Last edited by edlchiang62; 03-28-2005 at 07:16 AM.

does your GTP preamp have digital in? if it does and you are using them, the sound should be the same since the dvd player and the cd player should send the same digital signal to the preamp...
    if you are using analog outs of the dvd player and cd player, then they may sound different,

Mike
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

meteo man
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock789
    does your GTP preamp have digital in? if it does and you are using them, the sound should be the same since the dvd player and the cd player should send the same digital signal to the preamp...
    if you are using analog outs of the dvd player and cd player, then they may sound different,

Mike

No my preamp does not have digital inputs and therefore I am using just the analog outputs of my Toshiba DVD player and the Rotel Cd player. The differences between them is very minimal at least in my opinion.

Ed

Thread Information