Thread: Do you support?

Forum Regular

Do you support?

I am currently using a marantx 4001 upsampling dvd/cd player with a denon 2801 amp and b and w dm 602s3 speakers. I am interested in 2 channel and sacd in two channel. Would you support my plan to sell the marantz on audiogon and then buy the oppo and purchase an external dac. I figured the oppo has sacd playback so that issue is solved. I also figured if the dac in the oppo is inferior than I could use it as a transport for cd playback to an external dac and then to the stereo inputs on mmy denon. How does that plan strike you? All suggestions welcomed! Thank you!

My $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmoney
    I am currently using a marantx 4001 upsampling dvd/cd player with a denon 2801 amp and b and w dm 602s3 speakers. I am interested in 2 channel and sacd in two channel. Would you support my plan to sell the marantz on audiogon and then buy the oppo and purchase an external dac. I figured the oppo has sacd playback so that issue is solved. I also figured if the dac in the oppo is inferior than I could use it as a transport for cd playback to an external dac and then to the stereo inputs on mmy denon. How does that plan strike you? All suggestions welcomed! Thank you!
    Sell the Marantz if you need the cash. Get the Oppo DV-980H and have a listen. Don't buy the DAC unless you have a problem with both the Denon and Oppo DACs.

Buy the Marantz SA8001 SACDP you won't be disappointed. If I could have kept both the 840c and Marantz I would have. Its too bad because I just sold the Marantz 2 weeks ago for $650. I lost $100 on the deal.

However, I agree with Feanor, give the oppo a try. Thats my next purchase to get SACD sound and another DVD player

Does any one know anything about the Cambridge Audio DVD99? Its their new universal DVDP and it plays SACD. I know the DVD89 had some software issues.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Do you think my denon 2801 receiver has a better dac than my cdp (marantz4001) or the oppo when I get it. In that case I would just use coax to connect the cdp to my receier

Try it and see

Do you think my denon 2801 receiver has a better dac than my cdp (marantz4001) or the oppo when I get it. In that case I would just use coax to connect the cdp to my receier
    There is no way to guess; the Oppo would be the newest but that doesn't mean much. The best way is to try it and see which you prefer. I suggest that you not buy an external DAC until you've compared the Marantz, Oppo, and Denon DACs.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    There is no way to guess; the Oppo would be the newest but that doesn't mean much. The best way is to try it and see which you prefer. I suggest that you not buy an external DAC until you've compared the Marantz, Oppo, and Denon DACs.
    I agree with Feanor. Do the comparison first.

A few questions though:

What's your budget?
    Do you plan to upgrade the rest of your setup?

There's nothing wrong with your current setup, but I'm not sure you'll see great results by adding a DAC.... My experience with audio has been that you see the best improvements by changing speakers, then amp, then in distant third place - digital source and last and most definitely least - cables...

So I just don't want you to drop say $1k on an oppo and dac combo or a Marantz SA8001, only to be dissapointed that the improvements are minor (if noticeable at all)...

Forum Regular
    I don't plan to upgrade my speakers anytime soon because I purchased the b and w's less than a month ago. My room is only 1400 square feet therefore I figured I didn't need a large speaker to fill the room. My budget is around 300 having just spent 650 on my speakers and being a college bound senior in highschool. How do you think that money is best spent. I truly believe the sacd playback through the oppo would be a huge difference compared to the playback of cd because I have heard what a tremendous difference a good recording can make over a bad recording.

Ajani
    I don't plan to upgrade my speakers anytime soon because I purchased the b and w's less than a month ago. My room is only 1400 square feet therefore I figured I didn't need a large speaker to fill the room. My budget is around 300 having just spent 650 on my speakers and being a college bound senior in highschool. How do you think that money is best spent. I truly believe the sacd playback through the oppo would be a huge difference compared to the playback of cd because I have heard what a tremendous difference a good recording can make over a bad recording.
    Cool... as I said before: there's nothing wrong with your setup.... for 300 (unless you are considering buying used - which is a very popular option) I'd suggest just getting the oppo, since you want to add SACD playback.... Don't worry too much about the DAC...

Also, a good recording will always make a huge difference over a bad one.... but keep in mind that a better source component e.g. a more expensive CD player/DAC will not make a bad recording into a better one (it might actually just highlight how bad the recording is)....

SACD is worth a shot, if you can find the albums you like on SACD... since it is likely (though not always true) that greater care is put into mastering a SACD disc.

Forum Regular
    do you support dvd-a or sacd as the better recording overall

Ajani
    do you support dvd-a or sacd as the better recording overall
    I believe they're both better than CD (at least capable of better sound and multi-channel playback).... but given:

1) the serious lack of titles on either format compared to CD

&

2) The fact that I'm really a supporter of computer audio (using lossless compression and the optional DAC)...

I can't say I really support either SACD or DVD-A..... but if (not that I plan to.... but if) I was to buy a cd player now.... it would be a Marantz SA8001 - because it's both an excellent CD player and gives the option to play SACD....

Forum Regular

Thumbs up

ok well than i think i will go with the oppo. Thanks for all the help

Thread Information