• 03-20-2005, 09:49 AM
    Wireworm5
    Do same specs mean the same sound?
    I recently did a review on the Sony DVP-NS975V where I praised the amazing detail in recordings. I've read reviews on a previous Sony Sacd player the SCD-1. Anyways this player cost $5000 bucks and the reviewers praised it as the best player on the market. I've compared the specs of this unit to the 975 and they're identical. So can I assume that this model is as good as the previous model based on these specs?

Thoughts?
  • 03-20-2005, 01:58 PM
    RGA
    No specs are what manufacturers advertise. It may very well be the case that they sound the same though...I compared a 300 disc Sony to a $1k single disc Sony and detected no difference as well as a 5 disc carousel from Sony(around $199.00Cdn) which was about as good as well. the 1k version was built the best.

Some CD players have sounded quite better - such as some Arcam's and others are expensive and to me sounded worse like the Rega Planet.

Still my sessions were not very veyr long so it is possible the single player would have eclipsed the changers.
  • 03-20-2005, 02:32 PM
    theaudiohobby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wireworm5
    I recently did a review on the Sony DVP-NS975V where I praised the amazing detail in recordings. I've read reviews on a previous Sony Sacd player the SCD-1. Anyways this player cost $5000 bucks and the reviewers praised it as the best player on the market. I've compared the specs of this unit to the 975 and they're identical. So can I assume that this model is as good as the previous model based on these specs?

Thoughts?

Spec are just that specs, it is simply a set of figures that give an very broad summary of most basic performance parameters and limitations of a given component. It is in no way meant to tell how well a component will perform.

In conclusion, asking whether the DVP-NS975V(~$300 MSRP) sounds as good as the SCD1(~ $5000 MSRP) is the equivalent of asking whether a Volkswagen Beetle and a 911 GT2 have equivalent performance because they have similar body dimensions.
  • 03-21-2005, 12:59 AM
    Wireworm5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    Spec are just that specs, it is simply a set of figures that give an very broad summary of most basic performance parameters and limitations of a given component. It is in no way meant to tell how well a component will perform.

In conclusion, asking whether the DVP-NS975V(~$300 MSRP) sounds as good as the SCD1(~ $5000 MSRP) is the equivalent of asking whether a Volkswagen Beetle and a 911 GT2 have equivalent performance because they have similar body dimensions.

Yes, your conclusion is logical. But, perhaps Sony's player techinically has improved in the last few years to the point that they can produce these sacd players cheaper and lighter and still have just as good an audio quality. Sorta like the beta players when they first came out,they where huge and eventually became compact and affordable.
  • 03-21-2005, 05:29 AM
    theaudiohobby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wireworm5
    Yes, your conclusion is logical. But, perhaps Sony's player techinically has improved in the last few years to the point that they can produce these sacd players cheaper and lighter and still have just as good an audio quality. Sorta like the beta players when they first came out,they where huge and eventually became compact and affordable.

In this case it is not so, the DVP NS975V has more features than the SCD1, it can play DVDs and CDRWs but they are not comparable in performance terms, that battleship construction has performance benefits i.e. mechanical stability.