Question Denon DVD-5000 as CD/DAC Workaround

Thought I might ask for experienced opinions/views on my setup and workaround, maybe even a repair suggestion.

I've recently attained a Denon DVD-5000 used but in like new condition with ONE issue, the 5000 cannot read (retail) DVDs/CDs. Once I insert an off the shelf CD (not a CDR or DVDR), it mounts the CD but does not spin for the lens to pick up the TOC and then states NO DISC.

So, my work around in the meantime to enjoy Denon's digital to analog 16 bit to 20 bit AL 24 Processor is to use my Mac mini as a CD transport. I fugure the optical out is strictly digital information fed into the Denon's D/A's, no computer interference distortion like you experience with computer analog outputs.

I use a Xitel USB to Optical Output Converter out from the mini and input that into the DVD-5000's Optical IN so as to use it as D/A converter for CD and AAC, MP3 (I know, cringe, but all at 320kbps) audio files.

I did a comparison listen with my other Sony ES CD Player and the Denon DVD-5000 and I do hear an improvement. ES sounds great to me as well, but Denon has a wider soundstage and to me sounded smoother and more detailed. Hopefully not thru some placebo effect! I used an MFSL CD of Lennon's imagine as a comparison source.

So I'd like to know your opinion on this setup.

Although Im not a big fan of computers as primary critical listening devices, it seems to be a pretty good workaround since the Denon CD mechanism is in need of work.

My other question is then, if any fellow Denon DVD-5000 owners have had such a CD/DVD reading problem and/or repair experience with the 5000?

The thing is really an incredibly built DVD/CD player, stunning the inside circuitry and chassis, copper is it?! Gold solder?! I really want to fix it eventually. I added a few photos to my member gallery if you'd like to take a closer look at the 5K.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Mid-Fi
    Denon DVD5000 was quite popular at year 2000 and it was called a "HIFI DVD". I got one a year ago. It is really heavy and looks like a hifi gear...I noticed the picky disc drive issue. It doesn't read some burned cds or dvds. I didn't try it to read all kinds of the discs.

I think for the money I paid for it, it still has very good value to be a processor or DAC and let a $30 DVD player be a univeral transport to work with it rather than repairing it. The 24bit burr brown, HDCD support...picture quality... It is still something. I have better processor in my main system. So I have the DVD5000 serve my bedroom.

Thanks Minye for replying. My post is a bit long-winded.

I'm still wondering if I should send it in to Denon for service. If it costs the same as a used working one...hmm.

The manual indicates that it does not read or play CD-Rs. Thing was that the other day, I placed some store bought CDs just to see if maybe...and it played them after I pushed the eject button a few times.

It spun the CDs and read them and I kept feeding it retail CDs a whole afternoon, no problems, it was great!

But then it just didnt want to play CDs. It would give me a "NO PLAY" after spinning up the CD and then display H02 or HO2 service code. Ive read via Google that its a spindle thing. I think the spindle motor needs replacing.

The laser works, it lights up red but the spindle fails to spin the CD enough for it to recognize the TOC.

Its pretty much dead now, the spindle, but as a DAC it rocks. I ran my Sony MDS-JE780 MiniDisc deck thru it with optical connections of course and it recognized the input as 24bit!

So, yeah, just using it as a DAC works fantastic.

Thread Information