Audio Enthusiast

Looking for best CD Changer

I am looking for good (high-end) CD changers which is capable in reading CD-R, CD-RW, and MP3. Could someone suggest any good & reliable brand ? Thanks

Onkyo DX-C390 is probably your best bet at less than 200. Or check out the Rotel RCC-1055. 699.00. It's probably the highest end player on the market. Outside if this you need to buy the Onkyo and an external DAC.

The Marnatz and Denon use the same transport the only difference is the DAC's and analog outputs stages. I would not suggest either. Very noisy and unreliable. But they sound good. So it's up to you.

On a side note you have already asked this question and received some advice. Why keep asking the same question ? Changers are not very popular due to reliability issues. Most single discs units are more reliable and sound better.

what's your budget?
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    Changers are not very popular due to reliability issues. Most single discs units are more reliable and sound better.
    That's a bit of a stretch. My Adcom GCD-600 changer has performed flawlessly for over 10 years. While a decent sounding unit on its own, it sounds a lot better connected to the Adcom GDA-600, which I also have.

The Adcom replacement, the GCD-700 changer is almost the same thing as the combo that I have, and if you can find one used, that's probably a pretty good unit to have. The GDA-700 D/A converter improves the changer's sound too, but those are really hard to come by.

Aging Smartass
    Right now, on eBay, there's an Adcom GCD-700 with a current price of only $61. As the 700 changer/player is essentially the same thing as the 600 player/converter combo that I have and like so much, I wouldn't wait a minute longer before snatching up this unit. Of course, there are still a couple more days left for bidding, but the last bid of $61 happened four days ago, so I'll bet you can get this terrific CD changer for around $100. If you don't, maybe I will!

Mac use to make one not sure If it read other formats. Probably more than 100 dollars though.

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    Onkyo DX-C390 is probably your best bet at less than 200. Or check out the Rotel RCC-1055. 699.00. It's probably the highest end player on the market. Outside if this you need to buy the Onkyo and an external DAC.

The Marnatz and Denon use the same transport the only difference is the DAC's and analog outputs stages. I would not suggest either. Very noisy and unreliable. But they sound good. So it's up to you.
    I am about to make a choice between Marantz CC 4001, Denon DCM 390, and Onkyo DCX 390 but I saw the reviews reporting disc skip and not recognizing disk problems with 3 above brands. I don't think Rotel RCC 1055 could read MP3 ??

Linear Guy

Marantz or Onkyo

Quote Originally Posted by SAPSEC
    I am about to make a choice between Marantz CC 4001, Denon DCM 390, and Onkyo DCX 390 but I saw the reviews reporting disc skip and not recognizing disk problems with 3 above brands. I don't think Rotel RCC 1055 could read MP3 ??
    I had a Denon . All three are rated more for convenience rather than sonics. I've heard the Onkyo, sounded OK. I had the Denon 380 model, I see the 390 is not a substantial improvement so on that basis I cannot recommend the Denon. I found it sonically flat. A good risk is the Marantz. Better DAC's than the Denon. Might be better musically. I have no experience with the expensive changers. At that price point, convenience is better forsaken for sonic improvement from a host of good sounding entry level audiophile single play gear.

Forum Regular
    Hi. I had a Denon DCM-270 for about 6 years. Sonically, it sounded fine. The transport was a bit cluncky, but it worked fine. No problems for about six years, and then, it did have problems reading cd's. Tried an Onkyo changer (the model mentioned in this post). The Onkyo had nice features, the transport was quiet and smooth, but I found the sound to be a bit on the harsh side. Also tried a Marantz cc4300 changer (the model before the 4001) and had problems with 3 units in a row. I know that a couple of the problems were that the cd tray would keep spinning and spinning. Had to turn the unit off to make it stop. Also had a loud popping everytime I changed the cd in another 4300. In the end, I ended up with a Marantz cd5001 single disc player. I am very happy with the 5001. If the Onkyo sounds good to your ears, go for it. As mentioned, I liked the sound of the Marantz and Denon better, but the Onkyo just seemed to have a better build. Maybe the 4001 is a good improvement over the 4300, just haven't seen it yet. Good luck.

Forum Regular
    I had the marantz 4300 for a cpl of years and never had a single problem,maybe i was lucky dont know.Either way i did upgrade to a eastern electric minimax vacuum tube player.This player is amazing it even has a fantastic headphone jack if you like to use headphones.You can take the player anywhere and listen with the headphones if you desire.It's a player that i personally will keep for a long time.

Thread Information