• 07-28-2004, 11:11 PM
    Yaminom
    Denon AVR-5700 Song beginnings cut off on digital input
    Hi, Folks.

I've got a Denon AVR-5700 that has always had an annoying problem. I'm hoping someone here can help me with it.

The problem crops up when I use the optical digital inputs. No matter what the source (Sony CD player, Denon DVD-2200, Apple Airport Express), the first second of music is always cut off. It seems as though the receiver doesn't activate its input circuitry until it sees a signal coming in, and thus doesn't start processing until one seconds into the track.

It only happens on the first track of a CD, but when using the Airport Express it seems to happen with every song. That's why I'm only just now beginning to find it intolerable, though I've had the receiver for a couple of years.

There are three choices for selecting the digital input type: Digital Auto, Digital, and PCM. It happens no matter which of these I select.

I haven't seen anything about this in any forum, though maybe I'm just not using the right search terms.

Any ideas, anyone? I'd appreciate the help.

- Allen
  • 11-14-2004, 07:29 AM
    cambrosi
    Hello, I have the same issue on my new Marantz 8400. For an amp I use a Sony STRDA5000ES.
    I was wondering if you learned anything else about this issue.
    I have performed numerous Google searches, but have not had luck yet.
  • 12-06-2004, 03:51 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaminom
    Hi, Folks.

I've got a Denon AVR-5700 that has always had an annoying problem. I'm hoping someone here can help me with it.

The problem crops up when I use the optical digital inputs. No matter what the source (Sony CD player, Denon DVD-2200, Apple Airport Express), the first second of music is always cut off. It seems as though the receiver doesn't activate its input circuitry until it sees a signal coming in, and thus doesn't start processing until one seconds into the track.

It only happens on the first track of a CD, but when using the Airport Express it seems to happen with every song. That's why I'm only just now beginning to find it intolerable, though I've had the receiver for a couple of years.

There are three choices for selecting the digital input type: Digital Auto, Digital, and PCM. It happens no matter which of these I select.

I haven't seen anything about this in any forum, though maybe I'm just not using the right search terms.

Any ideas, anyone? I'd appreciate the help.

- Allen

This is normal as the receiver is trying to lock in on the PCM, Dts or DD signal. With the airporter it seems it's causing the receiver to relock onto the signal every song. Don't know what causes that, but the other problem I even experience with my Onkyo 989. It's annoying, but it only happens on the first song, or the introduction of DVD's
  • 12-06-2004, 04:27 PM
    Woochifer
    I was about to say that you should force the receiver to specifically look only for a PCM signal, but it looks like you've already tried that option. Seems that this more typically occurs with the auto mode and the listener switching between DVDs and CDs. Receivers that I've tried do tend to vary as to how quickly they lock into the incoming digital signal and figure out what format it's in.

If this one-second delay gets annoying, then just use the analog input. The DACs on your DVD player are at least equal to what comes with the 5700, and since that receiver uses a parallel analog bass management control, you wont' have to worry about resetting anything if you use a subwoofer either.