Forum Regular

Changing data CDR's to music CDR's?

Is there a method or software out there that will format a data CDR to a music CDR for use in a home stereo CD recorder?

No, not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix_glitch
    Is there a method or software out there that will format a data CDR to a music CDR for use in a home stereo CD recorder?
    What are you trying to achieve - a mixed media CD?

rw

Forum Regular
    no, it's only that music cd's are more expensive and harder to obtain, I was wondering if it would be possible to use the data cd's if they were fromatted properly

no, it's only that music cd's are more expensive and harder to obtain, I was wondering if it would be possible to use the data cd's if they were fromatted properly
    Yes. I have burned hundreds of music CDs on a range of different brands of data CDRs. I have always gotten the best results, however, with burning music CDs as slowly as possible. I went to the Memorex web site to see if they claimed any difference between their data CDRs and their music CDRs. The answer is no. The music CDRs do, however, come in cool colors !

rw

Forum Regular
    I use data cdr for computers and that seems to work fine, but my issue is with stand alone home stereo model recorders.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Yes. I have burned hundreds of music CDs on a range of different brands of data CDRs. I have always gotten the best results, however, with burning music CDs as slowly as possible. I went to the Memorex web site to see if they claimed any difference between their data CDRs and their music CDRs. The answer is no. The music CDRs do, however, come in cool colors !

rw
    He's asking if there's a way to take a data CD-R (like you use on a computer) and format it to use in a home CD recorder (the kind that takes only a certain type of CD-R). The answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    He's asking if there's a way to take a data CD-R (like you use on a computer) and format it to use in a home CD recorder (the kind that takes only a certain type of CD-R). The answer is no.
    I didn't know that. What do you suppose is the difference in the ability to create a copy between a computer based transport and a home recorder based transport?

rw

The home recorder uses CD-R's that have some sort of code on them placed by the RIAA. When you buy those CD-R's, the RIAA gets their slice which is why they cost more. They figured that if people were going be copying CD's, they wanted their piece of the pie.

Forum Regular
    I wonder why they don't do the same with data cdr's considering it is just as simple to copy music cds with a PC.

The RIAA can't touch data CDR's, because on a computer you don't have to copy CD's..you could use them for data or what not. But with a standalone, all you can do is copy CD's so the RIAA wants part of that.

Forum Regular
    Doing that seems to be a little arrogant, just assuming that all people are recording copyrighted cds with that equipment, and charging a premium for them.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    The home recorder uses CD-R's that have some sort of code on them placed by the RIAA. When you buy those CD-R's, the RIAA gets their slice which is why they cost more. They figured that if people were going be copying CD's, they wanted their piece of the pie.
    Ah, I see. That is a very good reason to never purchase such a device.

rw

Forum Regular
    Doing that seems to be a little arrogant, just assuming that all people are recording copyrighted cds with that equipment, and charging a premium for them.
    Yeah, it seems a little arrogant but not really since the ONLY thing you can copy with stand alone recoders is music cd's.

Anyway, the advantage of stand alone recorders is simplicity. You put a cd in one bay, a blank one in the other bay and hit record. And, they are cheaper if you don't own a computer.

Now, like somebody already said, there is no way to "format" a data cd to be used in a stand alone recorder, mostly because it is not a matter of format.

There are ways to modify your recorder to use data cd's instead of music only cd's, but they requiere a rather skilled individual, or you can buy one of the few machines for which there are mod-kits available on the net.

Forum Regular
    What you want is a Pro CD recorder such as those made by HHB, Tascam or Marantz. I've seen them as low as about $400 on sale. These machines use data blanks rather than the more expensive "Music Only" blanks. Sorry but there's no other solution I know of and since you already have a CD recorder, you'd want to buy yet another black box only if you're planning on burning 300 or more blanks. The music only discs cost about $2, I think. A spindle of data blanks cost about 66 cents/disc. You'll save $1.34... x 300 blanks = $402 which will then pay for your new pro recorder.

Perhaps an alternative that would work is to use a cd/rw in the stand alone recorder, then copy the rw disc on your pc to a cheaper data cdr. Most stand alone recorders will work with rw discs. At the end of the day, you end up with the desired result.

This is what I do with my stand alone DVD burner. I always burn to a DVD+RW first. Then copy on the PC. If I accidentally screw up, I'm not out a DVD+r disc.

Just a thought.

JD

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    The music only discs cost about $2, I think.
    Yikes! I didn't want anyone getting scared away from standalone audio-only recorders by this misconception... Wal-Mart sells a 50-pack of Memorex music CD-Rs for $20. That's 40 cents each. About twice what you'd pay for Memorex data CD-Rs. There is, however, a $2.00 music CD-R on the market... 24-karat gold and manufactured by Mobile Fidelity for high-quality professional applications.
    Just wanted to interject my support for audio burners. I own one myself (Pioneer PDR-609) and love it. Paid $100 for it used, and the versatility is wonderful. You can record audio from ANY source, provided it can be transferred in unbalanced (RCA) analog form or 16/44.1 PCM digital. Of course, you can do that with a PC as long as it has a soundcard with analog inputs...
    Anyhoo, I like the monitoring abilities of my recorder which lets me match levels and avoid clipping or distortion. And I can select loads of features. For instance, I can determine what the player interprets as silence. This is a handy feature for transferring vinyl that hasn't been taken very good care of, or a "hissy" analog tape. This is for the auto-track marking feature, which can be turned off. Plus lots of other things I won't bore you with. Don't knock 'em 'til you try 'em is all I'm trying to say.

Mike

Thread Information