Thread: DAC's and MAC's

AR Newbie Registered Member

DAC's and MAC's

Hello all. I am new to this site and have already read some great and valuable information. I am an audio buff but far from an expert. I do have a few questions and hope some of you could provide suggestions.

I currently have an imac running OSX ver 10.4.11. Aside from the additional hard drive I put inside when I bought it, the machine has no other new internal parts. I just purchased a Simaudio Moon DAC 100D. I have a Kimber Kable-silver USB connecting the mac to the DAC. From the DAC, I have Kimber Kable HERO connecting to the aux input of my Sony amp. I'm getting some jitter but otherwise am pretty pleased with the sound of my music which I play mostly off Itunes. The jittering seems to occur less as I continue to use the DAC. The DAC is not located near any other equipment.

I now plan to upgrade to a new imac and a new amp. My question is, are there any specific additional components I should get put inside the new mac to experience a better music experience? Or should I just rely on what comes with the mac? From itunes, I play mostly mpegs and Flac files.

Once I get the mac, I plan to upgrade the Sony amp to one of the Prima Luna tube amps.

I appreciate any advice or suggestions you may have. I don't mind spending the money.

BullsOnParadeNYC

Ajani
    Have you tried using the optical out of the MAC (if your model has one)?

A good site to find info on computer based audio is:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Have you tried using the optical out of the MAC (if your model has one)?

A good site to find info on computer based audio is:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/

Thanks. Optical requires too long of a cable for me and Im pretty happy with these Kables. I'll check out the site you recommend. Thank you.

Thread Information