• 02-18-2008, 06:21 PM
    thekid
    DAC Arrived today-hook up ??????
    I bought a MSB Link DAC III which arrived today. Instruction manual is pretty much worthless IMO since it describes functions of outputs/inputs but does not give you any help in telling you how to hook the thing up.

I am trying to hook it up to my Marantz CD-63SE. The Marantz has both a optical and co-axial hook up as well as the usual analog output. I assume that I connect the optical and co-axial to the DAC and run the analog output to the analog input of the DAC and then run the analog output of the DAC to the input of my pre-amp. When I put a CD into the player it acts as if a disc is not even in there and I get no sound at all. The power button and the LED's are lit up on the DAC.

The manual to the DAC says I should allow for 100 hours of burn in. Does this mean the unit has to be on for roughly 5 days before I will even get sound?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I have never owned a DAC so I am more cluless than normal.
  • 02-18-2008, 07:14 PM
    thekid
    Never mind........Apparently during hook up by pressing down on one of the buttons I hit a combination that in effect put the player on pause. In my frustration of pushing buttons I got things working again.

Manual for the DAC still is poor and the customer service numbers on it have been disconnected. Some customer support.......I was able to go on the MSB site though and get some up to date contact numbers. I guess we will let this thing play for awhile and see what we have got.
  • 02-18-2008, 09:11 PM
    Mr Peabody
    You should only use ONE connection from the Marantz to the MSB. I personally would use the digital coax. The analog out of the MSB goes to your preamp. Your DAC should work fine, burn in period just means your DAC may sound some what better after that many hours of play.
  • 02-19-2008, 02:47 AM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    You should only use ONE connection from the Marantz to the MSB. I personally would use the digital coax. The analog out of the MSB goes to your preamp. Your DAC should work fine, burn in period just means your DAC may sound some what better after that many hours of play.

Would not know what to do without you Mr.P!!
    I have them both hooked up but I will take your advice and remove the optical connection. I thought it odd as I mentioned I am operating in the dark a bit since I do not have the owners manual to the Marantz and the manual for the DAC is useless regarding hook up.

Anyone out there know where I might be able to score a free download/copy of the Marantz manual? It is a CD-63SE as previously mentioned
  • 02-19-2008, 07:18 AM
    emaidel
    The advice you've received is correct: only one connection is needed, preferably the coax. What will also make quite a difference is the cable you use. You can spend a truly ridiculous amount of money on a digital coax cable, but I found that Monster Cable's Z-200D digital cable, for about $80, does a terrific job, and an even better one than the far more expensive D-60 "Illuminati" cable from Kimber.
  • 02-19-2008, 04:39 PM
    thekid
    Thanks E!

I am going to wait until the break in period and see what I need to do at that time. At the moment I am using some Dynex cables I picked up from BB not top of the line but not drug store variety either. I have put on a variety of music and so far I am detecting an improvement at least on the classical recordings in the high/treble region. It is clearer more detailed so I am looking forward to playing more music and what this unit's possibilities are.

As previously mentioned I am not familiar with DAC's. While playing CD's the 44.1 LED is lit. There are also a 48, 88.2 and 96 indicators. I am assuming these light depending on the source material. Is 44.1 normal for CD's or does it vary from CD to CD?

Also hats off to Marantz. Even though I picked the CD-63SE up at the thrift I e-mailed their customer support about a Owner's Manual. Less than 24 hours later one was sitting in my InBox.