AR Newbie Registered Member

Question - Streaming music from PC to speakers using wireless

I'm looking for a way to play music from my PC on speakers over a wireless network. I've done some googling and I'm finding lots of stuff that is really expensive, has fancy LCD displays that show what song is playing, and all kinds of stuff that I don't need.

Here are my requirements:
    - No USB transmitter attachments needed
    - Just plays what would come out of the PC speaker (none of these systems that only play certain formats of music)
    - No propriety software needed to stream audio (other than device drivers, etc.)
    - Works on my wireless network
    - I'll provide my own speakers
    - Works with Windows (XP and Vista)

I'm hoping that I can find something pretty cheap since I just want something that only streams audio and doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles.

Any recommendations?

Ajani
    Apple Airport Express is the cheapest, most basic product I can think of... but I suspect there are other options as well, if you do some more research....

Linksys WMB54G Wireless-G Music Bridge

Dismal customer reviews

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Stick with the AirPort Express maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Stick with the AirPort Express maybe??
    One of the criteria was to just play what would come out of the computer. The Linksys does that...not just iTunes. One of the criteria was cheap. The Linksys is cheap...under $40 on eBay. The bad reviews are mostly from setup and configuration problems. So, just set it up right.

I agree that the Linksys device better meets the OP criteria. Airport only plays iTunes.

But there are numerous reviewers with noob's attitude going into it and they're warning, having been through it, that if they had it to do over again, they'd try something else. Looks to me like a product to avoid.

In my experience, networking devices in Windows have always been hard to set up. It's just one of the hazards of the PC world, as far as I can tell. Some people are skilled at that sort of thing and some have to call the Geek Squad.

The OP criteria are tough to meet. The Linksys is the product that comes closest. I think the actual best PC product for this type of need is the Logitech wireless music system , but it requires a USB transmitter, so it didn't fit the criteria.

Thread Information