Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hell "Blackraven".

I have some questions for you....As I stated before in a previous post, I have the Cambridge Audio Azur 640Cv.2. I currently have it connected to my Marantz SR9300 AV Reciever via Coaxial Digital and analog. The Coaxial cable is a Monster Cable Lightspeed Series and the analog interconnects are AudioQuest Diamondbacks (see photo in the components gallery). I listen to alot of contemporary jazz, both instrumental and vocal. I also listen to Sting, Peter Gabriel, Jonathan Butler, U2, Sarah Brightman, you get the picture.....now, the CA 640C v.2 is equipped with the same dual Wolfson WM8740 DAC's, like the 740C (by no means are they the same player, there's definitely a difference). Here's my dilemma....., depending on what I listen to, I switch to the analog input so the Marantz can receive the signal and then work it's magic with it's dual differential function. I do this when the sound is a little too bright, which is most of the time with Klipsch Reference speakers. For some reason, it sounds a little warmer. I guess my question is when you were doing your comparison, did you test both cd players using just digital or did you also try listening in analog? I must say that there are times when listening to the 640C v.2 in digital, it sounds great(source depending), but most of the time, analog sounds better. Now, does that mean that I'm bypassing the 640's DAC's and letting the Marantz do the conversion? I'm still trying to understand this audio thing.
    Last edited by ldgibson76; 01-08-2008 at 03:30 PM.
    ldgibson76
    Chance favors the prepared mine.

You are correct. When you run the 640c with its digital connection you are by passing its internal DAC's and letting the Marantz do the digital to analog conversion. In doing so, you are using the 640c as a transport and it should sound different than when using it with the analog connection.

I did not listen to the 740c with a digital connection.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    You are correct. When you run the 640c with its digital connection you are by passing its internal DAC's and letting the Marantz do the digital to analog conversion. In doing so, you are using the 640c as a transport and it should sound different than when using it with the analog connection.

I did not listen to the 740c with a digital connection.
    Thanks for the response. Be sure to let us keep us updated on the incoming 840C. Although you've already purchased the 840C, the e-tailer "Audio Advisor.com" is an excellent source for information regarding the Cambridge Audio puducts. The customer service dept. is very knowledgeable and will answer any questions regarding the differences between the 740 and 840. And yes, there's more to the 840 than XLR outputs.

Regards.
    ldgibson76
    Chance favors the prepared mine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information