Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar

Coax vs Optical Connection

As a side bar to my other post below. The Rotel 1072 has a coax digital connection, while my receiver has a optical connection for the CD player. Can I buy a conversion adapter that will take coax in and optical out? Or are there other options? Thanks.

Forum Regular
    I assume you are feeding the Sony not the Anthem in your equipment list.The best connection for your Rotel would be to use the analog connection,not the digital.Using digital means you are bypassing the DAC on the cd player and using the one in the Sony,not recommended.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    I assume you are feeding the Sony not the Anthem in your equipment list.The best connection for your Rotel would be to use the analog connection,not the digital.Using digital means you are bypassing the DAC on the cd player and using the one in the Sony,not recommended.

bill
    You are correct. The Anthem drives my mains, and the Sony serves as my preamp.
    I didn't realize that I would be bypassing the Rotel's DAC. I thought the digital connections were an improvement over the analog, just as component video is better then composite. Thanks for that info.

Thread Information