Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CDP upgrade!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

CDP upgrade!

Here we go with another which cd player should I buy thread? I have read through several of the past threads on this subject and the responses have been helpful. First my budget is in the $1,000 range. My first question is would I be better off spending that money on a cd only player or a cd/sacd? I have been thinking about the Marantz SA8001 or the Cambridge Audio Azur 740C. The unit will be used in a two channel system only. I do listen to classical so sacd might be nice. I own two sacd's but they are dual layer so they play on my current cd player.

In my rack a top loading cd player may not work. The top shelf is for the turntable. I thought about the Rega's but space is an issue.

The Marantz CD5001 is a great improvement over the Sony ES player it replaced and it is good value for the money. As I have tweaked the turntable and installed the low output moving coil my analog set up is more musical. I would like a cd player that would bring more musicality to my system.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Even though space is an issue (as you have mentioned), I will still recommend you the rega.

are you sure it won't work? Because that rega will be better than the marantz or the CA IMO...

when it's not possible, I'd get the Marantz, the CA is a good player too, but it's rather boring sounding IMO...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Try and audition an eastern electric minimax vacuum tube player.It's outstanding and also has an exceptional headphone to boot.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey John,

I rarely, rarely, recommend that anyone get into SACD but I truly believe that for you it's a must. In my mind it's a given that with your musical tastes you will find a wealth of material to enjoy. I know I wouldn't find this hobby nearly as fulfilling without access to many of may favorite works on this format.

You're a big boy and have competently narrowed down the field to the top contenders. I would throw out one more suggestion and it may seem a bit off the wall, but follow me here. I'd check out the Gon for a used Denon 3910 modified by Underwood. A year or two ago these things were being trumpeted as the next coming by the gear-of-the-month club, many of whom are selling them now only to get the newest, baddest 3930 model (modded, of course). One can usually find them going for between six and eight hundred dollars used and it's several grand for a new one. These have done time in some pretty heavy hitting systems.

That's just a thought. I'm sure you'll let your ears be your guide but make sure to keep us up on wherever the journey takes you.

Peace,
    M

Have you considered a Naim CD5i? There are a number of sellers on Audiogon in the $1,100 range. Absolutely fantastic CD Player, I recently upgraded my CD5i to a CD5x with FlatCap-2x power supply.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/digit...4_1586crx.aspx

Sacd

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Here we go with another which cd player should I buy thread? I have read through several of the past threads on this subject and the responses have been helpful. First my budget is in the $1,000 range. My first question is would I be better off spending that money on a cd only player or a cd/sacd? I have been thinking about the Marantz SA8001 or the Cambridge Audio Azur 740C. The unit will be used in a two channel system only. I do listen to classical so sacd might be nice. I own two sacd's but they are dual layer so they play on my current cd player.

In my rack a top loading cd player may not work. The top shelf is for the turntable. I thought about the Rega's but space is an issue.

The Marantz CD5001 is a great improvement over the Sony ES player it replaced and it is good value for the money. As I have tweaked the turntable and installed the low output moving coil my analog set up is more musical. I would like a cd player that would bring more musicality to my system.
    I'm on record as a strong SACD supporter. However my support is predicated mainly on multi-channel capability. If your requirement is exclusively stereo, then SACD isn't a priority, IMO. On most new SACD recordings the stereo SACD and Redbook layers sound extremely similar.

Since I listen to ripped CDs from a computer 90% of the time, I would be looking at a good DAC, although the Cambride 840C can be used as a DAC as well as player, and got a rave review in TAS.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    All these list below $1000, but with the Benchmark DAC you would need to factor in the cost of a transport, especially if you were planning on selling your Marantz 5001 or using it in a second system. I haven't heard any of these, but I was thinking of taking advantage of a home trial of the Benchmark directly from the manuf. http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac1/
    Also, www.musicdirect.com has the Rega Apollo (and the Marantz) and a 30-day return policy, however, most Rega dealers are restricted geographically so I'm not sure whether music direct is restricted to local sales. Spearit Sound and Underwood HiFi are reputable Jolida dealers and may allow you to return the JD100A if you're not satisfied.

Jolida JD-100A - tube output and headphone output - with new production 12AX7s improving in quality and sound at afordable prices, this one could probably keep one's interest for a while. Mods available.
    Benchmark DAC1 - pro quality headphone output. Can be used as a dac/preamp for your cdp directly to power amp or power amp section of integrated.
    Rega Apollo - 4 levels of error correction, Wolfson chipset and many rave reviews decribing it as "barrier breaking" for price. You might not need to open the top loader lid all the way to change discs which may give you the room you need on your rack. (You could place a piece of felt or something soft with adhesive backing on the underside of the shelf above the cdp where the lid would strike.)
    Marantz SA8001 - SACD and "about as good as Redbook gets."

Go with the Marantz SA8001. Check out the review at stereophile, it doesnt get any better than that for a sub $1000 player being compared to players costing 6 times as much. My buddy just ordered one for $799. I'll let you know how it sounds on his audiophile system.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

A few ideas...

Music Hall
    Creek
    as others said either the Denon 2910, 3910 depending on if they are modded and used.
    Marantz for sure as well.

You can't go wrong with any of these and the always dependable Cambridge Audio.

SA-8001 is a good sounding player. You can pick up for less than $700 new from http://www.amsound2.com/

My only gripe about this CDP is that it's not tubed and it is very cable dependent. I feel like I have yet to hear the potiential of this player. OH well.

Regards,

The Benchmark is the cat's pajamas based on reviews here and overseas. I don't know if this is a benefit to you but it has variable out that will let you bypass your preamp or preamp section. That can be good in my experience. The upsampling Bel canto DAC 2 or 1.1 (Audiogon) is a solid contender and you could use a modest DVD transport. I use a Sony myself.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

So can we assume this has been put on hold, at least temporarily?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    So can we assume this has been put on hold, at least temporarily?

I have been checking Audiogon for the Denon you suggested. Also trying to really know my new int. amp. I try to ad only one new item at a time. If the Onkyo continues to please as much as it has more money can go to the cdp.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Go with the Marantz SA8001. My friend just purchased it based on the review by stereophile magazine. I was over at his house the other day listening to it and I was amazed at the open transparent sound. The dynamic range just opend up. Bass was excellent and treble was crisp and clean. It was very detailed in CD mode and 2channel SACD. (This is a 2ch SACDP) The SACD sound was remarkable, so much so that I think I am going to purchase it over the Cambridge Azure 840 to replace my modified MusicHall CDP. I guess I'm going to have to load up on SACD's now.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Did you hear the 840? It is really good.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

I havent heard the 840, but all the reviews on it are excellent and the dealers that I've talked to speak highly of it. Its supposed to have a very detailed neutral sound. I'm flying out to california this week and hope to hear one before I make a decision on the marantz. But after hearing 2ch SACD's expanded dynamic range I don't think I will look at regular CD's the same way. By the way, I've seen the 840 on the net for about $1,100.00.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    Even though space is an issue (as you have mentioned), I will still recommend you the rega.

are you sure it won't work? Because that rega will be better than the marantz or the CA IMO...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.

Bert I removed the cd recorder so I would have a shelf tall enough for the Apollo. It is now in the running.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Not for nothin' JM, but I still think that you of all people need to at least check out a decent SACD system before making a purchase. Yes, the Rega is a nice player (I've even recommended it a few times) but given your tastes I think you'd regret it if you purchased a standard redbook-only cdp and later heard what you were missing.

You should check out some reviews on the 2 cambridge units. There's a UK review compairing the Cambridge 740c and Rega Apollo. They rated the 740c over the Rega in detail, clarity and sound. I have the 740c and it certainlyhas a neutral sound and is very detailed. It needs about 100hrs of break in time before it really takes off. Music sound like a live recording and very vibrant.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Not for nothin' JM, but I still think that you of all people need to at least check out a decent SACD system before making a purchase. Yes, the Rega is a nice player (I've even recommended it a few times) but given your tastes I think you'd regret it if you purchased a standard redbook-only cdp and later heard what you were missing.

bobsticks I am sure you are right. I have checked out used players but I am not comfortable buying used. This as far as I know leaves the Marantz SA8001. I really like the CD5001 but I would want a higher level of cd playback quality. I guess what I would like to know is that I would have sacd ability and better sound for my existing cd's. I guess I need to stop being neurotic and buy the Marantz and if not happy send it back and continue the hunt. But you are right I would probably regret not having sacd ability. I do have three sacd's at present.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Hi guys,

I am also having similar queries as I am also considering a CDP upgrade :
    My contenders:

Marantz SA 8001
    Rega Apollo
    Creek Destiny or Classic
    Rotel RCD 1072

I have :
    Dynaudio 52SE bookshelves
    Rotel Rb1090 Power amp
    Rotel Pre amp

I listen to contemporary jazz vocals ( AKA Diana Krall, Patricia Barber etc )

Well it has been ordered and tomorrow the Marantz SA 8001 will be delivered. I decided SACD capability is too important for me. I will be anxious to hear it.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Reasonable choice

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Well it has been ordered and tomorrow the Marantz SA 8001 will be delivered. I decided SACD capability is too important for me. I will be anxious to hear it.
    Good for you, JM. I wouldn't want to be without SACD, though it's mulitchannel that really engages me about it. Today I ordered an OPPO DV980H since my Samsung universal recently gave up the ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by sk456
    Hi guys,

I am also having similar queries as I am also considering a CDP upgrade :
    My contenders:

Marantz SA 8001
    Rega Apollo
    Creek Destiny or Classic
    Rotel RCD 1072

I have :
    Dynaudio 52SE bookshelves
    Rotel Rb1090 Power amp
    Rotel Pre amp

I listen to contemporary jazz vocals ( AKA Diana Krall, Patricia Barber etc )
    if you wait a bit longer, John will post his short (or long, for that matter) review of the 8001...

Kinda curious too

btw, anybody have experience with external DAC's yet?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

You wont be dissapointed with the 8001. I had a very difficult time trying to decide betwwen it and the 740c. Its SACD sound is excellent. Very vibrant sound.
    Enjoy!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp