Forum Regular

CDP selection and DAC's

I am looking to put together a new HT/ 2ch. system and need some help in selction of the right CD player. I want to get the best possible player, but do not want to buy something that is more than I need based on the rest of the system. I have not bought anything yet, but this is what I expect to have for a basic setup:

Marantz SR7200 or Onkyo TXSR605 HT receiver
    Paradigm Atoms or PSB Alpha B1 or KEF IQ3 or B&W 685 speakers (with a sub)

A couple of the CDP I am looking at include:
    Marantz 5001, Oppo 980H (combo unit)

My questions:

1) Is the Oppo unit much of an improvement vs. the receiver DAC? In which case I could use digital or analog connection.

2) Is a higher end model such as the Marantz 5001 a significant improvement over the receiver DAC? In which case I use a analog connection.

3) Does it even matter given the fact that this system is lower end anyhow?

What would be recommended for this level of a system for the CDP? I woudl prefer not to spend the money for the 5001, but will if it seems that is the best route to go. If the differences are negligible, I will probably just get the Oppo.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Regular
    I would take the Marantz receiver over the Onkyo, but as far as cd player the Marantz is not really higher end,I would check out one of the Cambridge Audio players, they will sound better than the Marantz and i think the 340c is about the same price and the 540c a little bit more.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

If you could spend a little extra money , say $500-$550, you could get the Musical Hall 25.2 CDP. Its excellent and I think much better than the other's you are considering. You should consider a used player. Check www.audigon.com, you can find some very good deals. The Music Hall is very comparable to the Cambridge 640c and was recommended to me over the 640c by the guys at www.spearitsound.com They prefered the sound of the MH, stated it was more transparent and better imaging. They sell both players. www.hcmaudio.com has the MH onsale for $540 including free shipping and a pair of Audioquest copperhead interconnects and an upgraded Audioquest AC15 power cord with EMF filter. I bought my MH from them.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    [QUOTE=zepman1]I am looking to put together a new HT/ 2ch. system and need some help in selction of the right CD player. I want to get the best possible player, but do not want to buy something that is more than I need based on the rest of the system. I have not bought anything yet, but this is what I expect to have for a basic setup:

My questions:

1) Is the Oppo unit much of an improvement vs. the receiver DAC? In which case I could use digital or analog connection.

I doubt the Oppo would have a noticeably better sound than the receiver's internal DAC.

2) Is a higher end model such as the Marantz 5001 a significant improvement over the receiver DAC? In which case I use a analog connection.

I'm not sure about the 5001, but at some point you would get better sound via the cdp's analog out. The couple units suggested would.

You are actually going to have a pretty decent system, either receiver is good (I vote for Onkyo) and the speakers you have picked are nice. I think if you care about good cd playback it does matter.

What would be recommended for this level of a system for the CDP? I woudl prefer not to spend the money for the 5001, but will if it seems that is the best route to go. If the differences are negligible, I will probably just get the Oppo.

You didn't mention HD. If you are on a budget get a decent universal player. You can hook up both analog and digital, that way you only have one unit that does everything. If you are a 2 channel fan then spend the money or get the Oppo and pick up the cdp when you have the money.

Forum Regular
    HD: I will add a Bluray, it looks like that is the format winner. So the DVD capability is not a huge concern to me with the Oppo. Just that for the money, I had heard sound quality was decent. And with the 1080p upscaling, it is a nice little player for $160 or so.

I have no problem spending a little more for something like the Music Hall or the 640c if that is the best way to go. Given what my proposed amplification/speakers will be I don't want to spend the money if I it is overkill in my budget system (Marantz 7200 receiver or similar with KEF IQ3/B&W 685 or similar). I don't foresee any major upgrades in the near future over those components. With that type of system will I be able to reap the benefits of those higher end CDP?

Also, buying on Audiogon seems a bit risky with CDP. I have no issues buying speakers there and have done so before. But I would be worried about damage during shipping, wear and tear since a CDP is somewhat of a precision device with moving parts.... Any thoughts?

Concerning the Marantz or the Onkyo 605, I think they are pretty even and you cant lose with which ever one you go with. You'll find supporters of either one. Both will do the job and give you plenty of power either way. The onkyo is a high current amp and has very good ratings. I'd go with which ever fits better in your budget.

As far as a CDP, don't skimp. If your on a tight budget, get the Marantz 5001. Its a great player for the money and compares favorable to $600 players in some reviews. I like the 640c and MH 25.2 because of their very detailed and transparent sound. They match well with Jazz, classical and vocal music.

I dont no what to tell you about audiogon, except look for a relativelynew unit from a seller with a good reputation.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks everyone. CD- players are not an area of expertise for me, and the suggestions here are worth their weight in gold plated interconnects.

I still have some decisions to make, but have at least made the decision to forget about the Oppo altogether and look at better models with a superior DAC to that in my receiver. CD playback is important to me (not SACD) and I don't want to shortchange myself. I'll probably consider the Marantz 5001, Cambridge 340, 540, 640, and the Music Hall. Which one will depend on if the differences I hear are worth the extra cost to me or not. But it sounds like it would be a mistake to get anything less than the 5001.

The whole thing is probably a year off anyhow, because I am still in the planning stages. Once I figure out more or less the type of equipment I want, I have to layout the room with that in mind and get that all completed. Then I need to start buying equipment and auditioning it in-home. Should be fun.

I wouldnt waste my money on the 340c and 540c. Get the marantz 5001 instead, otherwise jump up in quality to the 640c and MH.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I think you are doing the right thing. I am one who believes in a good source on the front end and your system will benefit as well. Look to see that your receiver offers a "bypass mode" or sometimes called "direct" mode which allows your analog signal to bypass all the internal HT stuff to maintain signal quality.

I have also made purchases from www.spearitsound.com and highly recommend them. Check their website occasionally for good deals. I'd take the MH just based on their rec, especially if it was Jack.

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys, really good advice. That's what I was looking to hear. I have not listened to any of these players, and it is not necessarily easy to find these to audition. It helps to really be able to narrow it down to three choices, 5001, 640 and MH.

I kind of had a feeling that there not be a significant increase in quality for the 340 over the 5001 for the money anyhow.

I have an Adcom GDA 700 DAC that I would like to sell. It has all the (dual) Burr Brown and Ultra Analog components in it plus the Pacific Microsonics HDCD chip. It was my go to DAC until I replaced it with a Bel Canto a year ago that upsamples. It absolutely killed the one piece Sony ES player it replaced. I use a moderately priced DVD player as a transport. You could, too. I have the original box and will include the owner's manuel. It cost a grand when new. Make me an offer somebody.
    Last edited by jim goulding; 01-21-2008 at 05:29 PM.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by zepman1
    I am looking to put together a new HT/ 2ch. system and need some help in selction of the right CD player. I want to get the best possible player, but do not want to buy something that is more than I need based on the rest of the system. I have not bought anything yet, but this is what I expect to have for a basic setup:

My questions:

Thanks in advance.
    While I agree with Mr. Peabody that a good source is useful, I think that for the system you are looking to build, a dedicated CD player is probably not the best way to spend your money.

Even though the Cambridge 640C and Music Hall are well respected players, I don't think you'll see a great benefit in spending $600 on either of them and then using $250/$280 Speakers such as the PSB Alpha/Paradigm Atom.

I think you would be better off buying the oppo or a similar cheap dvd player for under $100and putting the extra $500 towards better speakers.

Suspended
    Or, get the Oppo for DVD and use a digital output to a DAC into receiver's analog for music playback. It would still bite into your overall price if done all at once, but the DAC could come later, then you'd have everything in place to compare internal to external DAC's.

Forum Regular
    Ajani:

That is my concern exactly. I don't want to spend $500+ on a CDP when with my setup I may not hear much of a difference. I am planning on adding bluray to this setup, and may start off with that and add a dedicated CDP and/or DAC later on. I have yet to audition speakers and will have yet to decide exactly what I am buying. It is a possibility that I will step up a level on the speakers.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the advice given by others on the CDP options. Audiogon is another option if I can pick up the 640 or MH for around $350...

Thread Information