CD/SACD Player for 2 Channel System

Hi all:

I've recently pieced together a two channel system consisting of a Parasound 2 ch amp, Marantz SR5000 (used as a preamp), older Sony dvd player (5 disc changer), Monitor Audio B1's and Energy S8.2 subwoofer. I have to admit, it is a blast getting reacquainted with good ole' 2 channel sound.

Anyway, I'd like to listen to some of the SACD's that I purchased in connection with my primary system on this two channel rig. So, I'm looking for some suggestions on the best route to take with an upgrade.

First, do I purchase something like an Oppo player to handle the SACD and other formats and then purchase a better, dedicated CD player?

Second, do I save up and get myself a really great SACD player to handle everything?

Third, assuming I get the Oppo, I'd like to hear about some CD players in the $300 to $400 range that are worth taking a look at. I've read a lot about Rega, NAD and some others, but I always value the opinions on this board.

Thanks!

Olivertmc

My Gear:

Marantz SR7001
    NHT SB-3 (Mains)
    NHT SC2 (Center)
    Boston Acoustic In-Wall (Surround)
    Sony DVP-NC875VB Black (DVD/CD/SACD)
    SVS PB-10 (Subwoofer)
    Samsung 42" DLP

Forum Regular
    hi

first i would ditch the marantz and the parasound and replace them both with a good integrated amp,such as one of the Cambridge Audios,great sound for the money.Then ditch the sony for the new sony es2000 cd/sacd changer.Depending on the amp you could do it for around $1,000.00

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Suspended
    www.amusicdirect.com has the Marantz DV7600 universal player that retailed at $1,100.00 on close out for $599.00. They allow 30 day return policy if not satisfied. Just an option, I have no experience with this player. There should be plenty of reviews though.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Hey Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Olivertmc
    ... do I save up and get myself a really great SACD player to handle everything?
    I think that might be lost on this system and you sound rather casual about it anyway. Yeah, you could get one of the Emm labs or Esoteric or Krell SACD units and it would be a great player---but would you hear it? The B1s are a good speaker but not the most critically defining by any means and it doesn't sound like you're gonna use piles of Auralex room treatments and mega-expensive cables. Dropping an uber-machine into this rig would be like shooting a fly with an elephant gun, like filling up jrhymeammo's '73 Buick with Premium, like being the best ice skater in Ecuador...big 'effin' deal.

It's all about synergy.

I think Mr. Peabody has made an excellent suggestion. That Marantz unit garnered some excellent reviews and the price is certainly right. I'd wager you'll be very happy with that player and if I'm wrong and he's wrong and we're wrong you can still the send the big boat anchor back. But I bet you won't...

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I think that might be lost on this system and you sound rather casual about it anyway. Yeah, you could get one of the Emm labs or Esoteric or Krell SACD units and it would be a great player---but would you hear it? The B1s are a good speaker but not the most critically defining by any means and it doesn't sound like you're gonna use piles of Auralex room treatments and mega-expensive cables. Dropping an uber-machine into this rig would be like shooting a fly with an elephant gun, like filling up jrhymeammo's '73 Buick with Premium, like being the best ice skater in Ecuador...big 'effin' deal.

It's all about synergy.

I think Mr. Peabody has made an excellent suggestion. That Marantz unit garnered some excellent reviews and the price is certainly right. I'd wager you'll be very happy with that player and if I'm wrong and he's wrong and we're wrong you can still the send the big boat anchor back. But I bet you won't...

Peace
    I concur.

If there is anything that I have realized with this hobby it is that your equipment needs to match one another. You can't pair a $5,000 CD player with $100 speakers. Similarly, you really wouldn't be doing much justice playing a $100 CD player over $5,000 speakers. Now, it's not really about the cost, but you get the idea. Your equipment should have relatively equal balance in terms of it's quality and how it all works together.

Given that...I would also say that the Marantz would be a great player that would match what you currently have.

The Marantz looks like the perfect fit - thanks for the suggestions everyone.

My Gear:

Marantz SR7001
    NHT SB-3 (Mains)
    NHT SC2 (Center)
    Boston Acoustic In-Wall (Surround)
    Sony DVP-NC875VB Black (DVD/CD/SACD)
    SVS PB-10 (Subwoofer)
    Samsung 42" DLP

Suspended
    Oli, if you get the 7600 be sure to let us know how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Oli, if you get the 7600 be sure to let us know how it does.

Yes, please let us know!

Thread Information