Forum Regular

Sony ES Megachanger vs. Pioneer Ellite

I'm currently considering buying a 200-400 disk mega-changer from one of these manufacturers and I'm wondering if any of you have had experience comparing the
    two these brands. The prices are close enough so I'm not bothered...I just want
    the better unit.

The feature I like most on the Sony is the ability to daisy-chain two units together and have continuous play or crossfade capablility between changers. I do not believe the Elite can do this...but I may be wrong.

Anyone ever compare the sound of the internal DAC's? Would I be better off using their
    digital out and my BurrBrown DAC on my Denon 3805?

Any experienced suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks

In my experience, using a digital connection between the CD player / receiver almost always sounds better, unless the CD player is very high-end. Maybe just eliminates the chance of the analog output from the CD player being a little too high or low.

With a digital connection, there may not be much of a difference in sound between the ES and regular models. Don't know what the difference in features might be. Transport parts are probably the same.

Think alot of Sony players only have an optical out for digital (no coaxial). I know 1s and 0s are supposed to be 1s and 0s no matter how they are transmitted, but when using an optical cable the sound always seems a little thinner to me. I find that glass toslink cables really do sound better than standard plastic ones and would highly recommend one if you go that route, but I still prefer to use a coax cable when possible.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well i'm not sure why you would want the ES model ove rthe regular line -- the sound quality will be no different and that is also true of Pioneer and Pioneer Elite (with a few exceptions).

I have owned changers from both Pioneer and now a Sony and I can recommmend either one -- so long as it has a Digital output then you can use a better DAC --- receivers if woochifer is correct use very chincy RCA connectors which is why it can sound worse -- this may not be true of Denon. Receivers will hamper the sound quality all by themselves so I don;t think it's going to matter much -- the DAC in the receivers are doubtfully better than any on the changers. Pioneer uses some sort of legato Link converter which was pretty good even 10 years ago so one would assume it's ok now. The Sony isn't bright or annoying -- prettt decent considering the money and iof I had a receiver which I do, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between the mega changer and the most expensive Sony single disc player.

Frankly i'd be buying these things on features and warranty -- which ever one has the features you want and the best warranty is the one to get. I have a feeling that will be Sony.

The non ES Sony 455 has cross fade 9400 disc changer)and in Canada has a 2 year warranty 1 year more than Pioneer. http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...oductId=158008

The money saved from not wasting it on superficial ES models can be put to buying an external DAC or a SECOND 455 to daisy chain.

Definitely digital out. I agree with RGA, it's the features that will sells. I have the Sony 300 disc changer and some of the features I love about it are the group function. I can "group" discs by whatever criteria I decide and they don't even need to be in the same area of the changer and I can hit random, and away we go. I also like the fact that I can type in the title of the disc using a keyboard and that for CD-Rs it will also automatically display the song names. Even though I keep a database of each CD and it's location, it helps to have the on screen display. So yeah, go with the features that you think will best fit your needs.

Forum Regular

Are ES and Elite a scam?

It's seems pretty unanimous on this site that there is no advantage to the ES brand over the basic Sony model. I've never had any experience with Sony equipment in the past so I can't comment on that...but I find that amazing considering how well the ES line sells. Are they pulling the wool over EVERYBODY'S eyes who buy ES? There must be some difference...subtle or not between the two? Anybody?

My research shows that the older Sony models do not have the coax digital out but the more recent models (like the one in RGA's link) do. Sounds like I should make that an requirement. Also having the coax AND the optical will allow me to have both the CD player connected to the reciever and my MD recorder at the same time without swappin
    cables.

If you daisy chain two of these units together do you have to do anything fancy to hook up this setup to an external DAC or the DAC on the receiver. Is there only one digital out signal (from the master unit) when two units are daisychained together? Or do you have to use the analog outputs (and the onboard DACs) in this configuration?

Thanks again...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 20to20K
    My research shows that the older Sony models do not have the coax digital out but the more recent models (like the one in RGA's link) do. Sounds like I should make that an requirement. Also having the coax AND the optical will allow me to have both the CD player connected to the reciever and my MD recorder at the same time without swappin cables.

Thanks again...
    Actually I need to correct myself...NONE of the sony models(including the current 455 model in RGA's link) have the coax digital output...only the Pioneer has both. On the other hand only the Sony offers the ability to daisy chain two players together and allow crossfade. I must decide which of these two features are more important to me...

I'm looking at my manual right now. It looks like you connect another Sony unit, for instance with both analog cables and a control cable (monaural (2P) mini plug cord. And that way you can control the second unit through the first unit.

Yes, you can find manuals for the megachangers on the Sony web site and it appears that you do have to use the analog outputs to daisy-chain two players.

In this case, I'd shop with a little more caution. The ES model may sound better. I'd probably shop at a store with a good return policy and compare the sound from the digital and analog outputs at home.

I've got a Sony VCR/DVD combo unit. CDs sound great through the analog outs on that one (almost exactly the same as when hooked up digitally). I've also got a Sony CDP-CE375 5-disk changer that sounds absolutely terrible through the analog outs. Had to use a glass toslink connection with that one.

I've been looking into the two, ES & Elite as well as the regular line Sony & Pioneer multi CD changers.

MY first criteria in choosing is the features and interface/display. On the Sony end, the ES model is okay. But not an ES in the ES spirit so to speak. It doesn't feel like a higher end CD player. Nothing really that I can differentiate from the 400 version.

I do think the 400 is much better than the onon-ES 300 Sony changer as far as features. The Pioneer ones are just as great BUT that interface/display is very Pioneer-like. The numbers and text are just too thin for me, especially in the auburn color. The Elite is nice but I'm personally thinking that its too glamorous for the rest of my equipment. But it would match my Pioneer CDR deck..hmm, but the display on that I have to zoom right into the thing!

Just my input so as to consider other issues.

Thread Information