Forum Regular

Cd Player vs. Dvd Player

Is it really needed now to have both a cd player, and a dvd player. I have used my dvd player to play cds for the past 4 years and have started to really wonder if I should ever consider getting a seperate cd player.

I am planning to get the Pioneer DV-578A-S dvd player that does SACD here in the near future but figured this question needed to be asked. Is it really worth getting a seperate CD player to listen to CDs than using the DV-578A-S dvd player? If so, why? If not, why?

Forum Regular
    Buy one from a dealer you've got a good relationship with. Bring it home. Do some listening. See if you can tell a difference. If so, is that difference enough to warrant the cost? If so, keep it. If not, take it back.

Pretty easy actually...only you can decide if it's worth it in the end.

Bill

Forum Regular
    I have to agree with BillB here, only you can decide whether it's worth it to have a dedicated CD player. However, if you are asking whether a dedicated CD will make a difference, the answer is yes (in my experience).

I used to use the Denon DVD2900 to play my CDs until I got the Rotel RCD-1072 CD player (it's a mid-price dedicated CD player). The Rotel clearly provides greater clarity and dynamic range - I was quite surprised at the difference it makes (consider that I don't think I have the golden ears).

Just yesterday, I A/B tested Denon DVD3910 and the Rotel at home (using Denon's pure direct mode with analog output), the new Denon DVD player's two channel performance still cannot compare to that of the Rotel.

Well, these are my experience comparing 2-channel audio performance between these two Denon DVD players to the Rotel RCD-1072. I am sure you can find DVD player that outperforms dedicated CD player (i.e. Teac Esoteric DV-50S or UX-1), but they will usually cost you an arm or a leg.

Hope this helps!

Forum Regular

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by nyny
    However, if you are asking whether a dedicated CD will make a difference, the answer is yes (in my experience).!
    I have yet to find the DVD player that plays CD's as well as my dedicated player - or most any dedicated player! I don't know if it's because video functionality shares with audio and causes degradation or what, but I leave the DVD player for the movies and the CD player does the music. Big difference in sound or at least big enough.

Thread Information