Suspended

Best CD player under 200.00?

I'm looking for an under-200.00 cd player with the best possible sound reproduction in this price range. I would prefer a 5 disc or even juke-box style, but I understand that there are audio trade offs for multi-disk players. I would settle for a single disk player if the sonic improvement is substantial. I have heard that Sony and Panasonic make some good equiptment in this range, but I am not up on specific models to look for. I sure would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

RGA
    Forum Regular
    While there can be sonic trade-offs generally there isn't much pickens in sound quality most of the time - much of the differences are subtle.

I have a Sony 300 Disc player listed in my signature which is quite nice - offers lots of features is very quiet when playing and not too noisy shuffling discs either which is nice - is quite easy to use(set up a spread sheet to keep track of where the discs are though. The thing will do it on board but the spreadsheet is way easier.

Plus it has a Digital output. You can buy an external DAC down the road - so there is some upgradeability which is always nice. But surprising the Sony is quite nice on it's own. Sure it's no Audio Note CD3.1 but then you could buy a lot of these changers for one of those. And later I intend to get the Audio Note DAC 1.1x and connect it up to my cd players for improved sound.

But the functionality is nice.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I have an Arcam that retailed for about $800 brand new I bought used, and I have a $200 Yamaha CD player. The Arcam has way more user-friendly features that I almost never use, and might, might, sound a bit better (though I believe it's just because I want it to).
    I'm really happy with this seemingly invincible Yamaha CD player. It's fallen off of a china cabinet (6ft) twice and down about 12 ft of stairs (in its box with no styrafoam).
    It still works as good as new thought the rear fascia has a nasty scrape.
    Somehow I doubt I'd be so lucky with the Arcam.

Forum Regular
    Under $200, all CDP's pretty much sound the same. You are shopping for features and reliability.

Forum Regular
    Roy,

In addition to the Yamaha models you might want to check out the Denon DCM 280 and the Onkyo DX-C 390, both are $200. You can find the Onkyo at Circuit City while Denon is usually sold at audio shops. If you check the Onkyo see if they have the prior model on clearance (DX-C 380). Similar performance, less bucks. Good luck.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

A friend just picked up the Pioneer 563

Quote Originally Posted by RoyY51
    I'm looking for an under-200.00 cd player with the best possible sound reproduction in this price range. I would prefer a 5 disc or even juke-box style, but I understand that there are audio trade offs for multi-disk players. I would settle for a single disk player if the sonic improvement is substantial. I have heard that Sony and Panasonic make some good equiptment in this range, but I am not up on specific models to look for. I sure would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
    The "Swiss army knife" of digital players. DVD\CD\SACD\DVD-A\MPG\MP3, ect.

It sounds pretty good, and works well too. Can't beat that for $145!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Look for a used Cambridge audio CD6 or a CD4 SE. The CD 6 was very impressive in its price range. You'll be happier in the long run by saving for a while and getting the best possible source you can stretch yourself financially for.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

SRO
    Forum Regular
    Just last night, I picked up the Toshiba SD-3960. I haven't had an opportunity to listen to it yet. It has been getting raves at Audio Asylum. You should be able to pick it up for around $70. I actually just needed a dvd player for the bedroom. But if it is as good as they say, it could be the best deal out there.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, there are plenty of low cost mods out that are supposed to really turn it into a giant killer. Stereophile recently used a stock unit as a comparison player in a review for a $2000+ cd player, and said that it was a close.

I'm pretty sure the Stereophile review had the Toshiba used as only a transport to a high-end DAC, meaning the Tosh just streamed the 1's and 0's. Much like when connected to a receiver via digital output PCM. I have read elsewhere it is not that impressive when using its analog outputs (as I would use it). Though I am sure it can be modified to sound good that way.
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

SRO
    Forum Regular
    I double checked the review, and it seems that he was actually using the analog outs. It does not state how the Toshiba was connected to the system. There is mention of using it with an outboard dac in a footnote. It was part of the review of the Sim Audio player, and was actually the SD-3950.

Thread Information