Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

CD Player under $3000

I need suggestion to buy a cd player in between $2000 to $3000. Pls help.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    This is a joke,right?
    Look & Listen

Do they make CD players that cost this much? What do they do extra that makes them so expensive?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Considering a Benchmark DAC?

Quote Originally Posted by bappy
    You mentioned the Benchmark in your other post. If you intend to use a Benchmark DAC, you certainly do not need to drop $2-3k on a player -- what will be, in fact, only a transport. Any solid, reliable, single or multi-disc CDP will do.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Do they make CD players that cost this much? What do they do extra that makes them so expensive?
    They do but judging by the durability of some of the cd drives I will stick around the $500 mark.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    They do but judging by the durability of some of the cd drives I will stick around the $500 mark.
    Hmmm... $3k huh? I guess if you can spend that on speaker wires, why not a CD player. What do they do better? Higher bit rate?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Hmmm... $3k huh? I guess if you can spend that on speaker wires, why not a CD player. What do they do better? Higher bit rate?
    They are reported to be better built with more precise drives for better laser tracking. They have excellent DACs that feature upsampling and multiple power supplies. Like other high end products the best individual components to create a top notch machine. Cary makes a cd player that you can switch from transistor output to tubes and select the amount of upsampling. I just need to win the lottery.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

They are reported to be better built with more precise drives for better laser tracking. They have excellent DACs that feature upsampling and multiple power supplies. Like other high end products the best individual components to create a top notch machine. Cary makes a cd player that you can switch from transistor output to tubes and select the amount of upsampling. I just need to win the lottery.
    OK, I do see a few extra bells and whistles. Check this puppy out.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...SCD-T300&loc=3

OK, I do see a few extra bells and whistles. Check this puppy out.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...SCD-T300&loc=3
    I have read some positive reviews on that player. I can bet it will not be under my tree this year.

By the way I may change my name to JMichael since topspeed thinks were twins. Twin sons of different mothers.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I have read some positive reviews on that player. I can bet it will not be under my tree this year.

By the way I may change my name to JMichael since topspeed thinks were twins. Twin sons of different mothers.
    Will that join us at the hips?

Well 3K will get you a bit higher then the entry line for what i consider a real system. (Yes i know i am a snobby *****, so what?!?!)

Look into the older used Krell KPS20 series, the Wadia 800 Series, the Benchmark Dac1 is a good buy and so is the Manley Junior DAC.

Cheers

Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Well 3K will get you a bit higher then the entry line for what i consider a real system. (Yes i know i am a snobby *****, so what?!?!)

Look into the older used Krell KPS20 series, the Wadia 800 Series, the Benchmark Dac1 is a good buy and so is the Manley Junior DAC.

Cheers

Flo
    You can be a snobby ***** if it makes you happy. If I had the money I'd buy one for even more. And if someone with a $50 player told me that theirs was "just as good." I'd get upset as h.ll.

How's your trip? Was the jazz club good?

Thanks my friend, my trip was pretty ok. It was a hard week trying to teach those guys the IT English terms but they did quite well on the tests today. The club was great, but it was not a Jazz club but more of a bavarian music bar. It tought me that i am very close with my system to life but its still missing the scale and size, but this can only be solved with a bigger room. Another thing is the dynmaic contrast but all in all i cant complain :-)
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Cool, glad you like your system. Also glad that you have more to look forward to. Half the fun is wanting something new. What would you do if there was nothing left to reach for?

IT English can be very difficult. So many strange rules that don't always apply.

Will that join us at the hips?
    Lucky for you we are not conjoined twins. Life would be tough if we shared the same butt and my BF was on his way home.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Lucky for you we are not conjoined twins. Life would be tough if we shared the same butt and my BF was on his way home.
    Now that's just not right. My butt has a do not enter sign on one side of it. And, "wrong way, go back" on the other.

Now that's just not right. My butt has a do not enter sign on one side of it. And, "wrong way, go back" on the other.
    I borrowed and cleaned up a joke I heard Jay Mohr tell about a time he was down and Buddy Hackett told him things could always be worse and he went into a joke about you could be a siamese twin with a gay brother. LMAO So I worked into the twins idea hopefully to bring a laugh and also Merry Christmas.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I borrowed and cleaned up a joke I heard Jay Mohr tell about a time he was down and Buddy Hackett told him things could always be worse and he went into a joke about you could be a siamese twin with a gay brother. LMAO So I worked into the twins idea hopefully to bring a laugh and also Merry Christmas.
    I laughed. I also puckered my butt. You couldn't get a pin in there with a jack-hammer right now.

Have a very merry Christmas.

Forum Regular
    Guys thank you so much after all these days and thank you for your beautifull advise. Good news is I bought Audio Aero Capitole Reference SE.

Good day gentlemen.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Nice! I've never heard one, but they're supposed to be very good.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    This web site is quite helpful for making decisions on CD players if a significant portion of people are reviewing them & rating them. I really won't consider anything below a 4.6 on a 5.0 scale if there are 8 or more reviews. If something is a perfect 5 & 8 people or more are saying the same thing, that's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    This web site is quite helpful for making decisions on CD players if a significant portion of people are reviewing them & rating them. I really won't consider anything below a 4.6 on a 5.0 scale if there are 8 or more reviews. If something is a perfect 5 & 8 people or more are saying the same thing, that's good enough for me.
    Hey Edwards, I'm not trying to just pick on your or anything but I think that is a terrible advice.

Any workers from their audio companies can post glorious reviews on their products.

I would rather read reviews on products by contributing members' biased opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein

I don't want to sound like I'm attacking you either, but I would always suggest testing out products yourself and not putting too much weight on user reviews.... As jrh (had to shorten that name) said, employees of that company can fill out reviews... and more importantly just cuz numerous people think it sounds good doesn't mean you will... I've seen a number of Speakers get 30 or so great reviews and when I actually did my own listening test I was completely dissapointed...

Use forum advice and user/critic reviews as a starting point to identify products for you to test....

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by bappy
    If your serious get the Rega Saturn as I'm listening to it right now.It's a break through CD player that just came out.Read the reviews.

Santa Claus

Wopps,he already bought one

Quote Originally Posted by Fergymunster
    If your serious get the Rega Saturn as I'm listening to it right now.It's a break through CD player that just came out.Read the reviews.
    Sorry,I just now read all the posts.On the same note if anyone can afford $995, the Rega Apollo is a stand out CD player.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information