Please help me with my iTunes library...

I'm hoping hipsters from this site can help me out with my iTunes problem.

I'm not very tech savoy to speak of, and I cannot figure out the way to erase duplicated, triplicated songs in my iTunes library. Is there a way to erase those excessive tracks? Or will I need to select them manually?

I would appreciate some easy solution to this if it's possible.

Thanks

JRA

Tricky to fix

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I'm hoping hipsters from this site can help me out with my iTunes problem.

I'm not very tech savoy to speak of, and I cannot figure out the way to erase duplicated, triplicated songs in my iTunes library. Is there a way to erase those excessive tracks? Or will I need to select them manually?

I would appreciate some easy solution to this if it's possible.

Thanks

JRA
    JRA, are you talking about actual duplicate computer file or the library corruption that can occur? If the latter, I have had this problem, basically the result of accessing the same libary for different computers and/or switching "Preference" settings. My comments pertain to the latter problem.

Selecting "show duplicates" and deleting the dups is possible -- but be careful not to "delete files" (unless there are actual, duplicate physical files). What you really need to do is force iTunes to rescan your library; unfortunately I have found a one-click control that does that.

But I discovered if you change your default library location from whatever it is to something else, then back again, you can force the scan. See Edit > preferences > Advanced > Library location. You need to have a couple of other setting right too. Select (I think it's called) "Keep your library organized", and "Rename your files" or something like that -- I'll get back to you when I've checked it out at home. Do NOT select "Copy files to your library directory" (or whatever it says).

The settings:

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor

But I discovered if you change your default library location from whatever it is to something else, then back again, you can force the scan. See Edit > preferences > Advanced > Library location. You need to have a couple of other setting right too. Select (I think it's called) "Keep your library organized", and "Rename your files" or something like that -- I'll get back to you when I've checked it out at home. Do NOT select "Copy files to your library directory" (or whatever it says).
    Select "Keep iTunes music folder organized"; do not select "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library"

Thanks Bill,

This happened when I was selelcting hundred of songs to be moved to a diffrent fold.(CTRL+Left click)...then my PC started copyingh files instead for some stupid reason.

I can see all the duplicated songs and not all of them have check marks on the left side
    . I guess I'll keep the songs with a check mark.
    Thanks for your help. but doesnt look like I can easilty delete duplicated/non-original tracks.

JRA

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Thanks Bill,

This happened when I was selelcting hundred of songs to be moved to a diffrent fold.(CTRL+Left click)...then my PC started copyingh files instead for some stupid reason.

I can see all the duplicated songs and not all of them have check marks on the left side
    . I guess I'll keep the songs with a check mark.
    Thanks for your help. but doesnt look like I can easilty delete duplicated/non-original tracks.

JRA
    Probably too late for advice, but if these were all duplicated at the same time, then you might be able to sort the library by 'date added'. Then select all that were added at that minute and delete them. You can add the 'date added' field under the VIEW menu, VIEW OPTIONS in iTunes.

Thread Information