CD Player info needed

Printable View

• 12-28-2006, 01:46 PM
    hugh9269
    CD Player info needed
    I looking to add a CD player in the $500 price range, my first choice would be a Rega Apollo, but at $995 a little out of my range.

What would you recommend? I am a little flexible on price, HDDVD capability would be a bonus, but not a must have...

Thanks!
  • 12-28-2006, 02:25 PM
    Carl Reid
    Does the Rega Apollo play DVD Audio? I couldn't tell from the website...

Anyway, my personal pic for best CD player under $500 is the Marantz CD5001.... unfotunately it only plays CDs... but at just $330.... you could always get a dedicated DVD Audio/Video Player later on.....
  • 12-28-2006, 03:05 PM
    blackraven
    I just bought the Music Hall 25.2 for $549 with upgraded power cord and audio quest cables in a package deal. Others in this price range are the Cambridge Audio Azure 640C for $599 and the NAD C542. Whats nice about all these is that they can be moddded and upgraded to high end specs for $300-500 in the future. The Music Hall arrives 1/03 and I'll do a review on it at that time. The NAD has a nice warm sound and is a very nice player.
  • 12-28-2006, 03:16 PM
    hugh9269
    Thanks for the info! I assume I will not need the Music Hall a25.2 amp since I just bought a reciever? Or are is it required? Also is the Cambridge available in the U.S.?
  • 12-28-2006, 04:45 PM
    Mark111867
    I agree with Carl. I've owned the Marantz CD5001 for about 6 months now and am very pleased with it. I did exactly what Carl suggested in his post. I use the CD5001 for music and have a relatively inexpensive dvd player to watch movies on. I'm not a big HT guy, so an inexpensive dvd player is fine for my needs.
  • 12-28-2006, 08:20 PM
    blackraven
    No, you wont need the Music hall amp. Cambridge is available in the US, just do a google search or check out www.spearitsound.com
    They carry Cambridge Audio, NAD, Music Hall and other high end equipment.
  • 12-28-2006, 09:24 PM
    hugh9269
    :23: Thanks for the advice!!!
  • 12-29-2006, 03:56 AM
    BillyB
    Cd player
    I have had the Arcam 73T which lists for $699 for about 9 months now.It's an exceptional player and did require about 100 hours to settle in.It's upgradable to the 192T upsampling player with DAC swap-out through Arcam which I'm in the process of doing.(already ordered the kit).My decision to upgrade is no reflection on the 73T as I would put it up against any player under $1000 in it's stock form.Arcam isn't available online so of course you're not going to get big discounts on their products.If they were a lot more people would own them as they have a reputation for making superb CD and DVD players along with some other nice components.I realize reviews aren't the bottom line but if you do a google search on the 73T I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the audio communities opinion on this unit.A little over your price range but I thought it worth mentioning.Good luck with your decision.
  • 12-29-2006, 09:03 AM
    Fergymunster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hugh9269
    I looking to add a CD player in the $500 price range, my first choice would be a Rega Apollo, but at $995 a little out of my range.

What would you recommend? I am a little flexible on price, HDDVD capability would be a bonus, but not a must have...

Thanks!

Your first choice is a good choice.If you can afford it believe me you wont be disappointed.I had it for 2 weeks and was quite impressed.I since upgraded to the Rega Saturn.Don't take my word for it just do a search on the web.It's won awards for the best CD player under $1000.
  • 12-29-2006, 01:43 PM
    Fergymunster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven
    I just bought the Music Hall 25.2 for $549 with upgraded power cord and audio quest cables in a package deal. Others in this price range are the Cambridge Audio Azure 640C for $599 and the NAD C542. Whats nice about all these is that they can be moddded and upgraded to high end specs for $300-500 in the future. The Music Hall arrives 1/03 and I'll do a review on it at that time. The NAD has a nice warm sound and is a very nice player.

Hey Blackraven,I'm curious which AQ power cord and interconnect you got with the Music Hall,that's a pretty good deal.I'm asking because I'm a big AQ fan
  • 12-29-2006, 02:53 PM
    hugh9269
    Quick question? What do you think of some of the better Universal DVD Players? Some seem to have good audio with DVD-A and video upscaling to 1080i/p. Are they a good option? I have an older DVD player right now and a LCD HD TV. any opinions on brands?
  • 12-29-2006, 05:23 PM
    blackraven
    The Music Hall comes with The AQ AC15/H 2 meter power cord and the AQ Coral C/Q
    interconnects all for $549 from www.hcmaudio.com/hcm.asp

If your looking at a universal DVD player check out the Oppo DV981 HD, its 1080P upconverting DVD player with Burr Brown DAC's for $220 and can be modded at reference audio. The reviews on this player have been excellent for video and audio.
  • 12-29-2006, 05:57 PM
    musicman1999
    I just auditioned Arcams new dv137 universal player,and while it was exceptional at sacd playback and had great DVD picture quality,it could not match my Arcam cd73t for cd playback.Close but not quite.

bill
  • 12-30-2006, 07:53 AM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark111867
    I agree with Carl. I've owned the Marantz CD5001 for about 6 months now and am very pleased with it. I did exactly what Carl suggested in his post. I use the CD5001 for music and have a relatively inexpensive dvd player to watch movies on. I'm not a big HT guy, so an inexpensive dvd player is fine for my needs.

I would like to second Mark's recommendation of the Marantz CD5001. I have been enjoying mine for about 9 months now.
  • 12-31-2006, 10:21 AM
    Carl Reid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I would like to second Mark's recommendation of the Marantz CD5001. I have been enjoying mine for about 9 months now.

So Mark Seconded my recommendation and John seconded Marks seconding... so that adds up to....ammm... give me a sec here... let me get my calculator...

Oh here we go...

3 votes so far for the Marantz! :yesnod:
  • 12-31-2006, 11:30 AM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Reid
    So Mark Seconded my recommendation and John seconded Marks seconding... so that adds up to....ammm... give me a sec here... let me get my calculator...

Oh here we go...

3 votes so far for the Marantz! :yesnod:

Whoops, my bad. I second Mark's second of Carl's first. Does that mean I third it?
  • 12-31-2006, 12:46 PM
    hugh9269
    Thanks for the help gang! I am leaning toward this model: Marantz DV6001 Universal DVD Single Disc Player. This would allow me a better DVD player and a good CD player.
  • 01-08-2007, 04:31 PM
    hugh9269
    Thanks again for the advice gang... I purchased the Oppo DV-981HD for my DVD player and a Arcam 73T for the CD player :D