Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 35 of 35
  1. #26
    Resident DVD Reviewer
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike That Likes Music
    Lexmark,
    I can't answer that question, 'cause I don't know most folks. But every responsible audio lover will tell you that you have to try all the variables and decide for yourself. I mean, in some setups, for instance, a less expensive set of cables might sound better to the owner than a more expensive set. It's just something you've got to decide for yourself. Now I'm done with it.
    Mike

    Okay Mike; thanks.

  2. #27
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Posts
    4,659
    Such a witty rejoinder. I guess I hit a nerve, eh, John?

    A little light reading for those who are interested to seewhat they are dealing with. Quite a few similarities to what can be seen here your threads, eh?

    http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

    cya on another thread for more troll alerts.
    Last edited by markw; 04-01-2004 at 10:54 AM.

  3. #28
    Resident DVD Reviewer
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Such a witty rejoinder. I guess I hit a nerve, eh, John?

    A little light reading for those who are interested to seewhat they are dealing with. Quite a few similarities to what can be seen here your threads, eh?

    http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

    cya on another thread for more troll alerts.
    And spending your time arguing with people from the comfort of behind your computer terminal is a much better prospect there, Marky Mark...I STILL do not know who this "John" is, thank you.....and you STILL havent contributed ANYTHING constructive to this post, have ye? Now THAT is pretty impressive.....

    Pretty impressive, Mark.....

  4. #29
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    111

    First of all, there is nothing known as "digital sound quality".

    First of all, there is nothing known as "digital sound quality".Sound is primarily analoque in form.The digital format is basically a storage format and cd is the storage medium.So the primary analoque sound is converted to 0's and 1's and stored in the cd for storage and during reproduction, it is converted back to the original analoque format before it is send to the amplification device.The quality of sound depends on how closely the reproduced analoque signal matches with the original.This depends on the quality of the transport and DAC device used.
    Now, the reason why analoque RCA output exist on a cd player is for pure stereo lovers out there who won't even think of using an AV reciever for listening to their music.Except for some high end av recievers like rotel, arcam etc... most suck big time when used for stereo duty.We prefer our good' ol stereo amps or seperates.
    IN YOUR CASE, you are using your cd players DAC if you use the RCA out and the reciever's DAC if you use the optical out.FINALLLY quality depends on which can convert better to ANALOQUE.ANALOQUE is what is produced when music is played by the musician and ANALOQUE is what you finally hear when you listen to those loudspeakers.
    Invariably, if you have a good cd player, you are better off using your cd player's RCA out.It sounds more ANALOQUE, hence sounds better.

  5. #30
    Resident DVD Reviewer
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by hertz
    First of all, there is nothing known as "digital sound quality".Sound is primarily analoque in form.The digital format is basically a storage format and cd is the storage medium.So the primary analoque sound is converted to 0's and 1's and stored in the cd for storage and during reproduction, it is converted back to the original analoque format before it is send to the amplification device.The quality of sound depends on how closely the reproduced analoque signal matches with the original.This depends on the quality of the transport and DAC device used.
    Now, the reason why analoque RCA output exist on a cd player is for pure stereo lovers out there who won't even think of using an AV reciever for listening to their music.Except for some high end av recievers like rotel, arcam etc... most suck big time when used for stereo duty.We prefer our good' ol stereo amps or seperates.
    IN YOUR CASE, you are using your cd players DAC if you use the RCA out and the reciever's DAC if you use the optical out.FINALLLY quality depends on which can convert better to ANALOQUE.ANALOQUE is what is produced when music is played by the musician and ANALOQUE is what you finally hear when you listen to those loudspeakers.
    Invariably, if you have a good cd player, you are better off using your cd player's RCA out.It sounds more ANALOQUE, hence sounds better.
    Thank you, Hertz....

    Interesting analysis you provide. I understand real audiophles prefer their stereo music from good stereo receivers or integrated amps or power amps; in my case, as you say, my music is being played back via a home theater receiver in stereo mode, which sounds pretty clean pumping about 80 watts x 2; seems all I need in my studio apartment. However, my CD changer was a rather expensive one, bought at a high end shop that specialized in the likes of Marantz and Sony ES, and I went with a Marantz CC67 five disc changer. Its a gorgeous looking unit with gold track number buttons on the front; I am letting this unit do its converting thing by running the RCA cables into my receiver.

    So, everything is considered "okay" in the end if a CD player is connected through RCA cables instead of a digital connection to a receiver or amp? I really shouldnt be missing anything per se?

  6. #31
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    111

    It is perfectly okay

    It is perfectly okay.In fact, this is the better connection if you have a good cd player like the marantz.You are not missing out on anything.In fact you could be gaining as you could be getting better DA conversion.Please use a decent interconnect.

  7. #32
    Resident DVD Reviewer
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by hertz
    It is perfectly okay.In fact, this is the better connection if you have a good cd player like the marantz.You are not missing out on anything.In fact you could be gaining as you could
    be getting better DA conversion.Please use a decent interconnect.

    Thank You Hertz,

    I am in fact using a good interconnect; happens to be one of Monster's best gold plated heavy duty RCA interconnects --- I made sure of upgrading these awhile back! So the Marantz should be, in theory, delivering gorgeous, "correct" music to my Polk speakers.

  8. #33
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Thank You Hertz,

    I am in fact using a good interconnect; happens to be one of Monster's best gold plated heavy duty RCA interconnects --- I made sure of upgrading these awhile back! So the Marantz should be, in theory, delivering gorgeous, "correct" music to my Polk speakers.
    With my DVD player I have it hooked up BOTH ways. I have the analog stereo outputs going to my seperate preamp, and the digital output going into the receiver. This way I can get the stereo DVD-Audio signal to my audio setup, and also use the DVD player in my HT setup.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

  9. #34
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    111
    Yes..

  10. #35
    Resident DVD Reviewer
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by hertz
    Yes..
    Thank you very much, Hertz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 08:05 AM
  2. Best CD player under $1000?
    By Arch in forum Digital Domain & Computer Audio
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 04:05 PM
  3. Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD Player
    By NJ_Richard in forum General Audio
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 06:16 AM
  4. Question regarding SACD connections
    By Tyler in forum General Audio
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 05:03 PM
  5. Xbox vs. PS2 as a dvd player and game system
    By IRG in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-10-2003, 11:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •