CD Player Connections

Printable View

• 04-01-2004, 09:52 AM
    Lexmark3200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike That Likes Music
    Lexmark,
    I can't answer that question, 'cause I don't know most folks. But every responsible audio lover will tell you that you have to try all the variables and decide for yourself. I mean, in some setups, for instance, a less expensive set of cables might sound better to the owner than a more expensive set. It's just something you've got to decide for yourself. Now I'm done with it.
    Mike

Okay Mike; thanks.
  • 04-01-2004, 10:29 AM
    markw
    Such a witty rejoinder. I guess I hit a nerve, eh, John?

A little light reading for those who are interested to seewhat they are dealing with. Quite a few similarities to what can be seen here your threads, eh?

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

cya on another thread for more troll alerts.
  • 04-01-2004, 11:09 AM
    Lexmark3200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    Such a witty rejoinder. I guess I hit a nerve, eh, John?

A little light reading for those who are interested to seewhat they are dealing with. Quite a few similarities to what can be seen here your threads, eh?

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

cya on another thread for more troll alerts.

And spending your time arguing with people from the comfort of behind your computer terminal is a much better prospect there, Marky Mark...I STILL do not know who this "John" is, thank you.....and you STILL havent contributed ANYTHING constructive to this post, have ye? Now THAT is pretty impressive.....

Pretty impressive, Mark.....
  • 04-19-2004, 12:30 AM
    hertz
    First of all, there is nothing known as "digital sound quality".
    First of all, there is nothing known as "digital sound quality".Sound is primarily analoque in form.The digital format is basically a storage format and cd is the storage medium.So the primary analoque sound is converted to 0's and 1's and stored in the cd for storage and during reproduction, it is converted back to the original analoque format before it is send to the amplification device.The quality of sound depends on how closely the reproduced analoque signal matches with the original.This depends on the quality of the transport and DAC device used.
    Now, the reason why analoque RCA output exist on a cd player is for pure stereo lovers out there who won't even think of using an AV reciever for listening to their music.Except for some high end av recievers like rotel, arcam etc... most suck big time when used for stereo duty.We prefer our good' ol stereo amps or seperates.
    IN YOUR CASE, you are using your cd players DAC if you use the RCA out and the reciever's DAC if you use the optical out.FINALLLY quality depends on which can convert better to ANALOQUE.ANALOQUE is what is produced when music is played by the musician and ANALOQUE is what you finally hear when you listen to those loudspeakers.
    Invariably, if you have a good cd player, you are better off using your cd player's RCA out.It sounds more ANALOQUE, hence sounds better.
  • 04-19-2004, 11:06 AM
    Lexmark3200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hertz
    First of all, there is nothing known as "digital sound quality".Sound is primarily analoque in form.The digital format is basically a storage format and cd is the storage medium.So the primary analoque sound is converted to 0's and 1's and stored in the cd for storage and during reproduction, it is converted back to the original analoque format before it is send to the amplification device.The quality of sound depends on how closely the reproduced analoque signal matches with the original.This depends on the quality of the transport and DAC device used.
    Now, the reason why analoque RCA output exist on a cd player is for pure stereo lovers out there who won't even think of using an AV reciever for listening to their music.Except for some high end av recievers like rotel, arcam etc... most suck big time when used for stereo duty.We prefer our good' ol stereo amps or seperates.
    IN YOUR CASE, you are using your cd players DAC if you use the RCA out and the reciever's DAC if you use the optical out.FINALLLY quality depends on which can convert better to ANALOQUE.ANALOQUE is what is produced when music is played by the musician and ANALOQUE is what you finally hear when you listen to those loudspeakers.
    Invariably, if you have a good cd player, you are better off using your cd player's RCA out.It sounds more ANALOQUE, hence sounds better.

Thank you, Hertz....

Interesting analysis you provide. I understand real audiophles prefer their stereo music from good stereo receivers or integrated amps or power amps; in my case, as you say, my music is being played back via a home theater receiver in stereo mode, which sounds pretty clean pumping about 80 watts x 2; seems all I need in my studio apartment. However, my CD changer was a rather expensive one, bought at a high end shop that specialized in the likes of Marantz and Sony ES, and I went with a Marantz CC67 five disc changer. Its a gorgeous looking unit with gold track number buttons on the front; I am letting this unit do its converting thing by running the RCA cables into my receiver.

So, everything is considered "okay" in the end if a CD player is connected through RCA cables instead of a digital connection to a receiver or amp? I really shouldnt be missing anything per se?
  • 04-20-2004, 01:04 AM
    hertz
    It is perfectly okay
    It is perfectly okay.In fact, this is the better connection if you have a good cd player like the marantz.You are not missing out on anything.In fact you could be gaining as you could be getting better DA conversion.Please use a decent interconnect.
  • 04-20-2004, 11:27 AM
    Lexmark3200
    Quote:

It is perfectly okay.In fact, this is the better connection if you have a good cd player like the marantz.You are not missing out on anything.In fact you could be gaining as you could
    be getting better DA conversion.Please use a decent interconnect.

Thank You Hertz,

I am in fact using a good interconnect; happens to be one of Monster's best gold plated heavy duty RCA interconnects --- I made sure of upgrading these awhile back! So the Marantz should be, in theory, delivering gorgeous, "correct" music to my Polk speakers.
  • 04-20-2004, 02:48 PM
    Geoffcin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexmark3200
    Thank You Hertz,

I am in fact using a good interconnect; happens to be one of Monster's best gold plated heavy duty RCA interconnects --- I made sure of upgrading these awhile back! So the Marantz should be, in theory, delivering gorgeous, "correct" music to my Polk speakers.

With my DVD player I have it hooked up BOTH ways. I have the analog stereo outputs going to my seperate preamp, and the digital output going into the receiver. This way I can get the stereo DVD-Audio signal to my audio setup, and also use the DVD player in my HT setup.
  • 04-20-2004, 10:13 PM
    hertz
    Yes..
  • 04-20-2004, 11:00 PM
    Lexmark3200
    Quote:

Yes..

Thank you very much, Hertz.