Which CD Player

Printable View

• 03-14-2004, 06:59 AM
    puremango
    Which CD Player
    Hi all. I'm looking at purchasing a new CD player and wonder what your thoughts are with the 2 models below?

NAD 541i
    Rotel 1070

Cheers, Paul
  • 03-14-2004, 12:24 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

Originally Posted by puremango
    Hi all. I'm looking at purchasing a new CD player and wonder what your thoughts are with the 2 models below?

NAD 541i
    Rotel 1070

Cheers, Paul

Any reason you are looking for new CD player? Why not eaxpand to multi format player.
  • 03-14-2004, 12:53 PM
    Yeah, with the number of growing SACD out there, maybe it would be wise to go to multi.
    I have heard this. Dont know if its true:
    Sony is the 2nd largest label in the recording industry.
    [Since they "own" the SACD format, recently, they have been pumping out SACDs like mad, trying to sell more SACD players.
    It is not likely that SACD will overtake CD or HDCD the short term, but definately, it is an emerging type of format that we should all be aware.]

I have only heard 1 SACD playback and it was the best thing I've heard on CD. The level of detail was like none I have heard in digital recordings. Of course, the quality of the SACD depends on HOW its recorded and by the guy who tweeks the sound to perfection.
  • 03-14-2004, 02:05 PM
    JB14
    I own a Rotel 1070 - it is an excellent CD player for the price. You will not be disappointed.
  • 03-14-2004, 06:31 PM
    Hunt
    SACD/CD players in your price range
    Quote:

NAD 541i
    Rotel 1070

Cheers, Paul

Why not hedge your bets and get an SACD/CD player? SACDs are widely available, production is accelerating, and they sound better than CDs (instruments more distinct, absence of glaring, harsh highs).

Sony SCD-C222-ES: SACD multichannel/stereo player. $449 five-disc changer.
    Philips DVD-SA963A: stereo and multichannel SACDs, and DVD-Video discs, ~$380.

Or save up for a Marantz SA8260, Stereophile "Class A," stereo and multichannel SACDs, $999.

Enjoy the search -

Hunt
  • 03-14-2004, 09:01 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

NAD 541i
    Rotel 1070

Cheers, Paul

If you are considering a multi format player, you need to consider one that plays all that is currenlty marketed, even mp3 would be a benefit. Don't short change yourself with a player that is restricted.
  • 03-15-2004, 05:39 AM
    puremango
    Thanks... But...
    Thanks for the responces...

I'm a little confused now. I've seen some of these "multi" combo players going for the $300 range, I have about 500 reg CDs. Will these types of players sound as good as the Rotel with my older, non SACD CDs?

I've always been told not to play CDs through a DVD player because of the way it converts?

Thanks again, Paul
  • 03-18-2004, 09:22 AM
    magictooth
    Quote:

Thanks for the responces...

I'm a little confused now. I've seen some of these "multi" combo players going for the $300 range, I have about 500 reg CDs. Will these types of players sound as good as the Rotel with my older, non SACD CDs?

I've always been told not to play CDs through a DVD player because of the way it converts?

Thanks again, Paul

Hi!

You might try some of the new upsampling CD players. I've heard Audio Aero and Electrocompaniet make a decent "intro" 24/192 CD player. I've been trying to buy a used Electrocompaniet DAC, but I can't find the right price. As for the other guys who say why not buy a combo player, I'm on your side: with 500+ redbook CDs, the cost to replace them with the DVD-A or SACD equivalent is astronomical. There are some reviews that say that the well recorded redbooks sound better on these upsampling players than the newly remastered SACD versions.
  • 03-18-2004, 10:29 AM
    Hunt
    Replace entire CD collection? Huh?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by magictooth
    Hi!

You might try some of the new upsampling CD players. I've heard Audio Aero and Electrocompaniet make a decent "intro" 24/192 CD player. I've been trying to buy a used Electrocompaniet DAC, but I can't find the right price. As for the other guys who say why not buy a combo player, I'm on your side: with 500+ redbook CDs, the cost to replace them with the DVD-A or SACD equivalent is astronomical. There are some reviews that say that the well recorded redbooks sound better on these upsampling players than the newly remastered SACD versions.

SACD players play both CDs and SACDs. They give you the option.
  • 03-18-2004, 12:31 PM
    magictooth
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunt
    SACD players play both CDs and SACDs. They give you the option.

Hi!

Yes, this is true, but you don't get any improvement in sound quality by playing your redbook CD in a SACD player. The main reason why you'd want to buy an SACD player is to be able to play SACDs for the improved reputed sonic character that the new format gives to music. However, I've read that the new upsampling DACs will improve the sound quality of your redbook CDs to SACD level. If this is the case, I won't need to go out and buy a SACD player, and I won't have to upgrade/replace all my existing CDs.
  • 03-18-2004, 08:42 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

However, I've read that the new upsampling DACs will improve the sound quality of your redbook CDs to SACD level. .

Try this link:

http://www.simaudio.com/upsampling.htm
  • 03-18-2004, 08:44 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

I've always been told not to play CDs through a DVD player because of the way it converts? Thanks again, Paul

No reason why they would not. Audio is full of hype, mythology, voodoo, misinformation.
  • 03-19-2004, 04:33 AM
    Feanor
    Look for latest models of these same ...
    Quote:

NAD 541i
    Rotel 1070

Cheers, Paul

That is:

= NAD C542
    = Rotel 1072

You won't go wrong.
  • 03-19-2004, 06:17 AM
    stereo_always
    Hello
    Would Rotel RCD02 be comaparable to RCD1072 or NAD542 as far as the performance goes?
    Thanks,
  • 03-20-2004, 05:51 PM
    hifitommy
    not true
    Quote:

Hi!
    but you don't get any improvement in sound quality .

a sony sacd/dvd/cdp DOES sound better on RBCD (conventional CD) as well as play sacd and dvd. i got an ns500v before they went out of production and was amazed by the rbcd sound. the replacement players are about $250 and also have superior RBCD sound. this amounts to a bargain and makes it worth going this route.

the risk is very low and the reward is higher than youd expect. plus you get sacd playback capability. and yes, sacd is superior to RBCD, its readily noticeable i for one am loathe to spend extra money on new formats that dont give you more than you got before, sacd gives you more, and its worth the pittance they ask. i purchased a pure DSD sacd today for $16, about what they want for new RBCD. i think i will go listen to it now.
  • 03-28-2004, 11:18 AM
    Feanor
    Rotel would say not quite ...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stereo_always
    Would Rotel RCD02 be comaparable to RCD1072 or NAD542 as far as the performance goes?
    Thanks,

The 1072 is a higher priced model than the 02, but you'd need to listen to satisfy yourself. Likewise the 02 is lower cost than the NAD C542.
  • 03-28-2004, 12:22 PM
    hifitommy
    rotels are noted for really great sound
    for not that much money. more than the nad, yes, worth more, very likely. see if you can get both for trial.
  • 09-14-2004, 08:43 PM
    joesakic
    cd player
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    That is:

= NAD C542
    = Rotel 1072

You won't go wrong.

I have listened to NAD C542, it gave me excellent performance. ( within $500 range).
    Rotel is out of my list coz it just more than my budget range.

The other I heard is Cambridge 640C, a lot of test report from those audio magazine have very positive review on it. In fact i don't quite believe those mag coz just too commerical.
    So are there any of NAD or Cambridge owner can give some of your valuable input to us.

Thanks
  • 09-17-2004, 08:38 AM
    BillB
    If you're against investing in a universal player I'd take the time to research NAD's CD Players from actual users, not reviewers that only have them for a short time. 3-4 years ago they were renowned for quality issues. I owned a C520 that failed in about 6 months. It refused to load discs. It sounded great while it worked but it didn't last so long.

My dealer replaced it with a C521 that died of the same disease even quicker...just three months into use. I'd had enough and purchased a Cambridge Audio D300 from AudioAdvisor. I've still got it in a second system (w/ an NAD integrated amp) and it's never let me down.

Cambridge Audio's new Azure series incorporates some very nice components and their styling has gotten much better than the previous series (though I wonder why they continue to choose the hard-to-read displays that they do).

Also check out the Music Hall CD-25 and entry-level players from Arcam, Roksan, and even the Rotel.

That was a very interesting read mtycraft, thanks a lot!

Bill
  • 09-23-2004, 11:47 AM
    recoveryone
    Is SCAD better
    My old Pioneer Elite PD53 just died and I have a bid on another Pioneer Elite model. I also have the 45a which plays Scad and all the other formats. IMHO I perfer the regular CD player with digital outputs over my SCAD player with the analog outputs and there the issue of bassmanagement. With my old CD player it was tight and clear with the SCAD player it is lost, unless I turn my sub up to full. Now to me DVD-A is nice played at 98khz and that works in any DVD player the sound is full and clean and you keep your bassmanagement with the digital connection.
  • 09-23-2004, 04:48 PM
    NickWH
    I own the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C. It is an excellent player for the money. With the same Wolfson DAC and Sony optics, it is very comparable in sound quality to the Arcam players for less money. This player is super detailed and devoid of grain or harshness.

I would definitely recommend adding this player to your redbook only shortlist.
  • 09-24-2004, 02:13 AM
    Ambient fish
    Sorry NickWH but I have to disagree, the Cambridge Audio Azure 640C is as you say an excellent CD spinner but your comment about it being comparable to the Arcam is plain wrong. The basic entry level Arcam has beaten off the Cambrige in at least 2 reviews that I have read in the UK, it should also be noted that the basic Arcam can be upgraded all the way to CD93T configuration as the money supply allows. The Arcam has also been reviewed against the Rotel and the NAD and showed both of them the door. I started with an Arcam CD 72 T and eventually managed to reach digital nirvana when I acquired a CD23T, I use this to play Red Book CDs and a Pioneer DVD565A to play DVD a and SACD. I can also state that a good CD player will deliver similar levels of detail and dynamics as an entry level SACD/DVD A player.
  • 11-06-2004, 09:44 AM
    Bertrand32
    Quote:

NAD 541i
    Rotel 1070

Cheers, Paul

I don't know the Rotel 1070, but I have recently bought the 1072. This replaced my old Sony ES338 machine, which had given good service for ten years. The 1072 is so good that after a month I still can't believe it. I'm playing all my favourites again to hear what I'd missed.
  • 11-11-2004, 09:04 PM
    gonefishin
    Hi there puremango,

I'm not sure about the specific models you have mentioned. But I did own two different NAD cd players some years back. During this time the NAD players had the same great reviews for price/performance as they do today. Both players were easily beat by not only my Sony DVD player...but also by a mid 80's Magnavox CDplayer.

I think I'd either look into one of the cheaper sacd/cd combo players or look at the used market. One other thing if you look into the cheaper combo players...do a little research and find one that's favored by some of the better respected modders out there. You can buy the player now...and perhaps have it modded in the future for a nice (cost effective) upgrade.

take care,

dan