AR Regular

Quality of DACS in receivers?

When my CD player died a while back, I bought the Marantz DV4300 to serve both my film and music needs. I know that purists say that a CD player will outperform a DVD player for music, but I really did not want two machines in my rack (and besides, there's also the extra money consideration). So far, I have only a straight, old fashioned stereo rig with no digital processing. I now want to expand my system into full surround by getting a good AV receiver and intend to use the stereo rig for the fronts by using the pre-out on whatever I happen to get.

My question - are the DACs in receivers better quality than those built into the DVD players? In other words, will I be better off using the receiver's dacs to process my CDs and just use the DVD player as a transport, or should I continue using the analogue outs on the player which are connected directly to my Rotel pre-amp RC995? The amp is a Musical Fidelity A3.2cr mated to B&W 703s.

At the moment, I'm tossing up between a Marantz (perhaps the 5500) or a Harmon Kardon. Marantz I have researched, but don't know all that much (yet) about the HK. This is my second question - has any body done a comparison between the two?

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts and suggestions.

I jus love this forum - although I have posted infrequently, I am often with you. The discussions are always so informative. I love this hobby.

Who has the better DAC

It is hard to impossible to know which is better without reviews or having one oneself. But a couple of generalities might help.

1. Digital decoding has been improving rather steadily the last ten years, this is still going on, generally speaking newer stuff is better than older stuff with the exception listed below.

2. Doing a truly good job of decoding digital streams is expensive even today, so in general the more expensive decoder will outperform the cheaper decoder.

Also look at where a given manufacturer has put their emphasis. Lots of moving displays, light shows and 101 DSP room settings are less likely to sound good compared to a manufacturer that put his efforts into sound, leaving the basic chassis simple and with fewer controls and/or displays. It's not that simple of course because number of inputs, power ratings and a host of other things influence prices.

Maybe you should buy an expensive receievr and a cheap transport or the other way around. That way you'll have a decent idea of where the better decoder is. By buying middle priced for both items you are paynig for two probably mediocre decoders when you only need one better one.

If possible arrange with the store an audition/exchange period. Better vendors still understand that not all people like or want the same things and will accomodate you.

AR Regular

Thanks, good advice

I originally bought the Marantz DV4300 because reviewers claimed that it did a better job of playing CDs than most other DVD players. I would say that it produces results which are at least on parr with my old Denon (and much more expensive) CD player which died on me. However, since I am a music oriented person, I am wondering if I could improve the quality of the CD playback of my existing DVD player.

Very likely

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyMuso
    I originally bought the Marantz DV4300 because reviewers claimed that it did a better job of playing CDs than most other DVD players. I would say that it produces results which are at least on parr with my old Denon (and much more expensive) CD player which died on me. However, since I am a music oriented person, I am wondering if I could improve the quality of the CD playback of my existing DVD player.
    Again, it might depend on the age of your DVD player. The majority of DVD players more than a couple of years old had pretty poor DACs and the Marantz could be a substantial improvement.

AR Regular

My Marantz DV4300 will be exactly 2 years old in March 2005.

Definitly try the Marantz' DAC

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyMuso
    My Marantz DV4300 will be exactly 2 years old in March 2005.
    Try it out in any case. Though a late model DVD player might be as good, that would not be typical.

AR Regular

Thanks

I'll try it. Don't mind fiddling around with cablings and settings to find out what sounds the best.

Thread Information