Utmostjamin1

burning digital audio to DVD

I have a dvd burner on my desktop computer. Is it possible to use the extra capacity of the dvd to say burn 6 cds full bitrate to a dvd and be able to play it back on a home theater dvd player.
    if im right the average cd is around 700 MB and the average DVDR contains 4.7GB
    you should be able to fit slightly more than 6 cds on a DVDR

I have a Gateway 510XL with a DVD-RW using Nero burn and my dvd player on my home theater is a Pioneer DV-47A.

has anyone tried this? might be nice to pop in a DVD for a party and be able to listen to 6 hours or more of music.

Try it and let us know

Quote Originally Posted by jamison
    I have a dvd burner on my desktop computer. Is it possible to use the extra capacity of the dvd to say burn 6 cds full bitrate to a dvd and be able to play it back on a home theater dvd player. ...
    has anyone tried this? might be nice to pop in a DVD for a party and be able to listen to 6 hours or more of music.
    Seems there are two issues:
    1. Will your DVD player read the DVD record format you burner puts out, viz. DVD-R?
    2. Will your player CD format files, i.e. WAV, on your burned DVD? If it plays these filed on CD-R's, most likely it will on DVD-R too.

Utmostjamin1
    thanks for the info,,, I will waste a DVD-R and give it a shot.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    thanks for the info,,, I will waste a DVD-R and give it a shot.
    Remember that the DVD standard for audio is 48 khz and up. To be compliant
    to this standard you will need to re-sample the wav files for one and there must be
    a video file as well, even if it is just a "blank" avi or mpeg. You are basically attempting
    to create a DAD. Chesky has done this using DVD Video with audio at 96khz/24bit.

I just burned a sample using Nero 6.6 letting it transcode the audio and a blank
    avi file and burned to a folder, then was able to play the created "vob" file.

There is alot to this. Creating DVD's takes ifo, bup, and vob files in a VIDEO_TS
    folder.

Look into Audio DVD Creator, it will allow High Resolution ( 96k and 24 bit ).

Joe T.

Utmostjamin1
    it didnt work and it sounds like too much work for what its worth, i would be better off buying a large hard drive and burning everything to it and using it as jukebox

How about on your computer?

it didnt work and it sounds like too much work for what its worth, i would be better off buying a large hard drive and burning everything to it and using it as jukebox
    Will the CD-format files on the DVD-R you made play on you computer? If so, then the problem is obviously your DVD player. Likely it just doesn't read DVD-Rs.

On the other hand, playing your collection from hard drive is what many regard as the "ultimate solution". With readily available software, you can create play lists for any occassion without duplicating the storage of the actual files.

Utmostjamin1
    well... the dvd player in my theater is the problem, I bought a 400 GB external hard drive for music files. I have my computer connected via a fiber optic digital out so the sound quality should be pretty good i plan on burning only my favorite songs from each artist albeit full bit rate

Forum Regular
    At 400 gigs you should have no problem holding 400+ cds in wav format...That should keep you busy for a bit

Thread Information