Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

You're not alone

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I agree with both Anjani and Mr. P. As far as power cords go. My MusicHall CDP can with its original power cord and an upgraded AQ power cord which was supposed to make a significant difference in sound. There's not one bit of difference that my family or my friends can hear. Thats my only experience with power cords. Of course I'm one of those non believers that $1k IC's and speaker cables can make a dramatic difference in sound.

Being a doctor, I see the power of placebo every day. I guess I'm cynical and a skeptic
    I have used (and still do) a number of low-end and DIY shielded power cords in both my stereo and HT systems; I have never heard the slightest difference from their use. Maybe I'm just luck to have a EMI/RFI insensitive environment; I do use EMI/RFI filtering surge surpressors on most equipment including all digital stuff.

What should I do to hear the wonderful improvement that so many hear? I suppose I ought to try the normal audiophile solution: spend a lot more money

Although I've thought I've heard minute differences between interconnects and speaker cables, but -- and I'll be the first to admit -- it might have been my imagination. My current self-delusion is that tubes sound different, e.g. a "huge improvement" (in the audiophile sense) rolling Sovtek 6922 for Amperex 6922 'PQ's in my preamp.
    Last edited by Feanor; 03-17-2008 at 02:50 AM.

I use EMI/RFI filters on all my wiring as well, plus the area I live in is relatively new with new power stations and I only live about 10 miles from the power company.

I wish one of the audio magazines had the balls to do a large double blind study on cheap vs expensive IC's, speaker cable, power cords and amplifiers. It would be so easy to do, but I guess they would loose their sponsors if it showed that the whole cable thing is all placebo. It would be nice to settle this once and for all.

FYI, here's an update on the 840c, I have over 200 hours of break in and the sound seems to have improved some more. It doesnt seem as fatiguing or bright. Now I dont know if its me getting use to the sound or if the
    re really is an improvemet. I guess all that counts is that I like it alot better now.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    What should I do to hear the wonderful improvement that so many hear? I suppose I ought to try the normal audiophile solution: spend a lot more money .
    You have a standing invitation here in central Arkansas. I use aftermarket cords in two of my systems. Forget about price.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Although I've thought I've heard minute differences between interconnects and speaker cables, but -- and I'll be the first to admit -- it might have been my imagination. My current self-delusion is that tubes sound different, e.g. a "huge improvement" (in the audiophile sense) rolling Sovtek 6922 for Amperex 6922 'PQ's in my preamp.
    Let's just call them subtle, but present differences.

rw

...plus the area I live in is relatively new with new power stations and I only live about 10 miles from the power company.
    That's the "miles and miles" canard that completely misses the point. No one argues that the quality of the power delivered by the sub station is noisy. The source of noise lies entirely within one's home: digital devices of all sorts including cable boxes, CD /DVD players, TiVOs, wireless phones, microwave ovens, computers, routers, access points, even my computer controlled washer and drying cabinet. Digital hash is either radiated directly in the space or injected back to the AC.

I guess all that counts is that I like it a lot better now.
    That is the case with all things audio.

rw

nightflier
    Someone also suggested I add the NAD M5 SACD player to the list (their Masters Series), or maybe even the M55 universal player. More gear to audition....

The M5 is a very good sounding CD player.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Ears Among Peers Registered Member
    This may be somewhat OT, but I just couldn't restrain myself. Mr. O'Shag, no offense towards you, not at all. There was just something in the Audioenz editor's voice that rung a deep note in me:

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Brent Burmester of Audioenz in New Zealand wrote this review of the 840c in comparson to the 740c..

... <nondescript tech hubbub>

... <ahem, emo audiofile hubbub>

... <some loose statements>

... <trying to assert authority>

... The 840C is just such a something. If you're at the point in your hi-fi development where you need a player to help you understand what a performer means by their music, and those sort of players are never cheap, I'd advise starting your search here. If you can't afford more, just get one. "
    The touching poetry and deep truth of this statement neigh brings tears to my eyes. Don't you pity the forlorn masses of ordinary non-audiophile beggars, who haven't even begun to understand what any performance might mean? And even less what some artist is trying to get across? Mr. Burmester evidently feels the pain and misery of these wanderers in the dark, and generously offers the poor lads to buy just one, if they're out of cash. So they, for a reasonably fair price, might have the first and fundamental stepping stone to the Bliss of understanding music just the same as Mr. Burmester.

Ofcourse, later on they will need to spend a whole lot more: understanding doesn't come cheap, but fortunately, it can be bought directly from Mr. Burmester's friends.

Naturally, there will be evil tongues accusing the beloved magazine editor of a condescending attitude. They will say Mr. Burmester is a hypocrite, denying other people their natural right to their own experiences, regardless of whether they spent big bux on his private little hifi-club or not. They might even suggest he should try going to a live concert once in a while (woo, shudder, waste costly audio-bucks on miserable live music). Or, goodness forbids, to have good sex while a rotten consumer box plays some damn tune she really likes.

Fortunately, I don't buy it, because I do believe Mr. Burmester is God. And slightly more on-topic: I do believe the 840 is a fine piece of equipment. But I'm not going to buy it either.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by antiphase
    This may be somewhat OT, but I just couldn't restrain myself. Mr. O'Shag, no offense towards you, not at all. There was just something in the Audioenz editor's voice that rung a deep note in me:

The touching poetry and deep truth of this statement neigh brings tears to my eyes. Don't you pity the forlorn masses of ordinary non-audiophile beggars, who haven't even begun to understand what any performance might mean? And even less what some artist is trying to get across? Mr. Burmester evidently feels the pain and misery of these wanderers in the dark, and generously offers the poor lads to buy just one, if they're out of cash. So they, for a reasonably fair price, might have the first and fundamental stepping stone to the Bliss of understanding music just the same as Mr. Burmester.

Ofcourse, later on they will need to spend a whole lot more: understanding doesn't come cheap, but fortunately, it can be bought directly from Mr. Burmester's friends.

Naturally, there will be evil tongues accusing the beloved magazine editor of a condescending attitude. They will say Mr. Burmester is a hypocrite, denying other people their natural right to their own experiences, regardless of whether they spent big bux on his private little hifi-club or not. They might even suggest he should try going to a live concert once in a while (woo, shudder, waste costly audio-bucks on miserable live music). Or, goodness forbids, to have good sex while a rotten consumer box plays some damn tune she really likes.

Fortunately, I don't buy it, because I do believe Mr. Burmester is God. And slightly more on-topic: I do believe the 840 is a fine piece of equipment. But I'm not going to buy it either.
    LOL... that is one hell of a first post..... welcome to AR....

Ears Among Peers Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    LOL... that is one hell of a first post..... welcome to AR....
    Thank you Ajani, for a warm welcome.

nightflier
    OK, here's a question: how useful are the inputs on the 840c to use it as a seperate DAC? Has anyone tried this? After all, it upconverts everything to 384k, right? Does it rival say, the Benchmark DAC that everyone is so gaga over?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    stuff
    That was freakin' hilarious. Good timing, old sport.

Welcome to the club.

---sticks

I havent used the 840c as a DAC but eventually I will get around to it and will post a review.
    I'm still wanting to run my digital cable into the 840c.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

?? Whatever your smokin I want some of that
    'Lets See what the day brings forth'.... Reginald Iolanthe Perrin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information