Thread: DAC suggestion

AR Newbie Registered Member

DAC suggestion

Does anyone have a suggestion for a DAC under $500 or so?

I have Vandersteen 2Ce Signiture speakers with Rotel components. I prefer to use cheaper DVD players because of their wider compatability (Divx AVI, WMV, mp3, etc), but the quality of the analog output is lacking in these cheaper players. I would like a DAC so I can use whatever cheap DVD player I feel like using that week, and not compromise audio quality.

Unfortunately, the M-Audio Flying Cow DAC does not have optical input, so it is not an option.

What I might do

Quote Originally Posted by plexo
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a DAC under $500 or so?

I have Vandersteen 2Ce Signiture speakers with Rotel components. I prefer to use cheaper DVD players because of their wider compatability (Divx AVI, WMV, mp3, etc), but the quality of the analog output is lacking in these cheaper players. I would like a DAC so I can use whatever cheap DVD player I feel like using that week, and not compromise audio quality.

Unfortunately, the M-Audio Flying Cow DAC does not have optical input, so it is not an option.
    Since I would also like to have a digital equalizer, I would consider the Behringer DEQ2496 which accepts optical digital inputs, (but not coax) ...
    According to some forum posters, the DEQ2496's DAC is very good though not SOTA, so if you must have Benchmark DAC1 or better quality, this might not be the ticket.

Suspended
    I'm not aware of any new DAC's in that price. Some older high end DAC's from the likes of Conrad-Johnson or ARC can be had for $500.00 or less used. These may be pre-20 bit technology but still hold their own very well against anything new in that price, 20 bit or not.

Pricewise ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I'm not aware of any new DAC's in that price. Some older high end DAC's from the likes of Conrad-Johnson or ARC can be had for $500.00 or less used. These may be pre-20 bit technology but still hold their own very well against anything new in that price, 20 bit or not.
    I've looked around lately and agree with Mr. Peabody that there is little under $500. The Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 would be worth looking at except it's $600 ...

Thread Information