Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    I am just wanting to check that the 2134 is a dual channel, therefore replacing two of them would require 4 of the expensive 627's -- is that correct?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshcloud9
    I am just wanting to check that the 2134 is a dual channel, therefore replacing two of them would require 4 of the expensive 627's -- is that correct?

Thanks
    That's correct. You can order 2 627s mounted on a single socket here. This auction is for two dual mounted sockets.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cheers
    LDB
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

HEY LDB,

Can you tell me what capacitors and resistors are used for the stock unit?
    I am pretty unsatisfied with my MF X-CAN V8, and it seem modification for the unit is not recommended due to its circuit board.

Thanks,
    JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    HEY LDB,

Can you tell me what capacitors and resistors are used for the stock unit?
    I am pretty unsatisfied with my MF X-CAN V8, and it seem modification for the unit is not recommended due to its circuit board.

Thanks,
    JRA
    Hey J, I took a look when I had the cover off awhile back but I'll be damned if I can remember now. I have a day off today so I'll look in a while and let you know then.

Cheers,
    LDB

J, The MH uses Rubycon caps and metal oxide film resistors (1% tolerance).

FYI, the 6922 tube is used only on the SE outputs. I have both the balanced and SE connected and switch between them depending on the recording and source. I find although the tube sound is great for vocals it seems to collapse the sound-stage a bit too much for certain types of music.
    Any suggestions on what I should start with when I start to roll tubes?

LDB

nightflier
    LDB, I was surprised to hear that you were already wanting to change the MH DAC. If you remember, I returned mine not too soon after I auditioned it because it did not improve over the sound of the source. I was going to try a different tube, but decided to return it while I still could. But this got me thinking of maybe upgrading my player, then.

Anyhow, next time you open her up, can you take a picture of what the DAC looks like with the new op amps?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    LDB, I was surprised to hear that you were already wanting to change the MH DAC. If you remember, I returned mine not too soon after I auditioned it because it did not improve over the sound of the source. I was going to try a different tube, but decided to return it while I still could. But this got me thinking of maybe upgrading my player, then.

Anyhow, next time you open her up, can you take a picture of what the DAC looks like with the new op amps?
    I was happy with the MH and I didn't have a deliberate plan in mind but after reading about the op-amp swap for $40 I had to try it, glad I did. I find the 6922 tube collapses the sound field when I use the SE cables so I was wondering if a tube swap could help this out.

My camera is FUBAR'd and since I don't take many pics it may be awhile before I replace it. I could take a pic with the cell phone but......

Here is the link to the op-amps

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and a pic of the innards are posted somewhere in this thread.

Cheers
    LDB
    Last edited by Luvin Da Blues; 09-29-2009 at 05:51 AM.

nightflier
    Sorry to hear about the camera, but I'm glad you like the upgrade. The tube in the MH DAC has been the topic of quite a few discussions. Most of what I've read suggests that while it provides an improvement in one area, there will be a shortcoming in another.

The reason I was hoping to see a picture is because the op amps look pretty sizeable and could be a tight fit. Or maybe that's not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Sorry to hear about the camera, but I'm glad you like the upgrade. The tube in the MH DAC has been the topic of quite a few discussions. Most of what I've read suggests that while it provides an improvement in one area, there will be a shortcoming in another.

The reason I was hoping to see a picture is because the op amps look pretty sizeable and could be a tight fit. Or maybe that's not the case?
    I seldom listen thru the tube due to the sound field collapse but may be inclined to use it more if I could find a suitable tube swap.

No need to worry about the size of the op-amps. They take up the same amount of space as the originals (although a bit higher) and there is plenty of space to spare.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    I seldom listen thru the tube due to the sound field collapse but may be inclined to use it more if I could find a suitable tube swap.

No need to worry about the size of the op-amps. They take up the same amount of space as the originals (although a bit higher) and there is plenty of space to spare.

Cheers
    The opamps are the three small, socketted ICs 1 o'clock of the tube and partially surrounded by small red capacitors. There's lots of room for swapping dual 627 modules.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Burson op amps for MH DAC23.2-musichalldacinterior.jpg  

nightflier
    Wow, what is pretty easy. I was thinking he installed those big honking things in the video clip.

Maybe I should have kept the DAC. Aside from tube-rolling, it never occurred to me to do any upgrades on it.

[QUOTE=nightflier]Wow, what is pretty easy. I was thinking he installed those big honking things in the video clip.[QUOTE]

That was going to be my original plan but our fine Silmarillion friend pointed out the Burr-Brown's from Gigaworks.

FYI, the 6922 tube is used only on the SE outputs. I have both the balanced and SE connected and switch between them depending on the recording and source. I find although the tube sound is great for vocals it seems to collapse the sound-stage a bit too much for certain types of music.

LDB
    Thanks LDB,
    Rubycon caps for a unit under $600? That's pretty impressive.

There are plenty of cheap 6922/6DJ8/6H23 tubes out there. You don't neccesarily have to spend hundreds on NOS tubes to find the sound you love. I love the sound of cheap Sovtek compared to Electro-Harmonix. EH has more transparent but less involving sound to my ears.

Have Fun,
    JRA

LDB
    I tried half a dozen different 6922s in my Sonic Frontiers preamp. The SF is notoriously neutral, almost solid state sounding so I looked around from something that would make just bit more tube-like. The tubes I like best were these Amperex USA white label 'PQ'. Smooth, detailed sound with that great tube illusion of depth. I bought these used, not NOS, for US$86; (true NOS would have been about 4x that price).

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I tried half a dozen different 6922s in my Sonic Frontiers preamp. The SF is notoriously neutral, almost solid state sounding so I looked around from something that would make just bit more tube-like. The tubes I like best were these Amperex USA white label 'PQ'. Smooth, detailed sound with that great tube illusion of depth. I bought these used, not NOS, for US$86; (true NOS would have been about 4x that price).

I've heard that about the PQ whites. Sounds like what I want from a tube. Good to hear it from someone here on AR. A little pricey for a used tube but I only need one and that's a small price to pay for sonic bliss? Mucho Gracias Feanor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information