Aging Smartass

Burn-in on the Marantz SA-8001

I was curious as to whether or not there was a specified timeframe for burn-in on this unit, so I sent Marantz an email asking. I also asked what "HDAM" meant, which is printed on the face of the unit, but which is completely ignored in the instruction manual. (Frankly, the instruction manual is more suited to a cheap JVC receiver, than a piece of gear as good as this one, as it tells the owner very little about what it is that makes the unit as good as it is.)

First, "HDAM" means "High Definition Amplifier Module" which Marantz claims is superior to "cheaper "alternatives. I have no idea what they're talking about, so I'll just take their word.

Insofar as burn-in, the answer was, "burn-in is 50 hours, but sometimes 200." That's a bit of a stretch, but at least it was an answer. In the meantime, though I don't have 50 hours of use on the unit yet, I have to say it's getting better and better sounding.

Since I used the Robert Shaw rendition of Brahms' "A German Requiem" on Telarc as the very first disc to play on the 8001, I continually go back to that disc to see whether or not anything's changed, and boy, has it ever! The soundstage continually improves, especially in pin-point precision, and the clarity seems to increase constantly, but without ever getting harsh. On this particular disc, the breadth of the orchestra, as well as the clear positioning of the chorus sections continues to become more and more precise and detailed, adding immensely to my enjoyment of the piece.

I selected this disc for a variety of reasons: for one, I'm in the midst of rehearsing it as a member of the bass section of a large chorus about to perform the piece on Saturday, April 19th in Spartanburg, S.C., so I'm very fond of it. Second, I've had a lot of trouble with this disc: the first two I purchased from amazon.com played, but with constant (and very annoying) ticking throughout. A replacement direct from Telarc fared a lot better, but still emitted ticking sounds throughout movement VI.

The disc plays superbly on the 8001, without any ticking whatsoever, and sounds downrisght glorious, even though it's an early Soundstream CD. I can only hope that this is one of Telarc's library of such Soundstream recordings that they intend to remaster through DSD and offer as a 2-channel SACD. THAT should be something truly special!

On the popular side, I popped in Phil Collins "Face Value," and then my first Enya disc, "Watermark." It's almost as if I never listened to either of these discs before, the sound was so much improved.

So, can you tell I'm nothing short of delighed with the Marantz SA-8001? I've been looking for an SACD player that would improve upon the sound of my CD library for a long time, and I think I've found just the ticket. At $900, I'd hardly call it a "steal," or even a "bargain," but certainly worth every cent. A "Stereophile Class-A Recommended" item isn't just hyperbole, at least based on my experience with this unit.

Burn-in

Some question whether burn-in is a real phenomenon or just a matter of the listener becoming accustomed to the sound -- I believe it really happens though I couldn't prove it.

In any case, I think it's usually a 80/20 thing. That is, 80% of the burn in will occur in the first 20% of the time.

My friend has the 8001 going on 6 months now and he states that the CD player's sound never changed since day 1. So maybe it does not need a burn in. My 840c did sound better after 100 and 200 hours of burn in or it could have been just me getting used to the sound.

Emaidel, I think that the 8001 is a bargain at $900. It sounds as good as other CDP's costing hundreds more, just like the 840c, 740c and Rega Apollo do. These CDP's bring you into the Audiophile realm at realtively budget prices.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Congrats on your newfound enjoyment...almost sounds like you've been re-invigorated.

If you like Shaw and choral work you may want to check out "Appear & Inspire" also on the Telarc label. It presents a variety of works from Debussy, Ravel, Britten and a few others that elude me at this point. Excellent sonics. The performance has gotten mixed reviews but as resident heathen I'll recommend it.

The ASO recording of "Berloiz' Requiem" is superlative and I believe has been released on SACD.

Have fun.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    What I noticed in burn in was the opening up of the highs. Now that I am working days the unit is on all the time and is sounding incredible. High percussion sounds very natural as does the other ranges. The SA8001 is so balanced in my system I am not left wanting at any frequency. emaidel you made a good choice, enjoy.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    If you like Shaw and choral work you may want to check out "Appear & Inspire" also on the Telarc label.
    The ASO recording of "Berloiz' Requiem" is superlative and I believe has been released on SACD.

Have fun.
    I have dozens of Shaw/Telarc discs, but not "Appear and Inspire," so I'll check it out. The Berlioz' Requiem is indeed available on SACD, but I purchased the redbook CD of it with the ASO conducted by Robert Spano a few years ago, and find it very, very satisfactory. While it doesn't feature the "up-front" placement of the bass drums, as does the Shaw recording of the 80's, it has overall better sonics (it's a DSD recording) and the sound of the four brass choirs is flat out remarkable.

If Telarc decides to remaster the older Shaw recording (a Soundstream recording) and make it available on SACD, I'll all but knock the doors down on the way to order it!

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    What I noticed in burn in was the opening up of the highs. Now that I am working days the unit is on all the time and is sounding incredible. High percussion sounds very natural as does the other ranges. The SA8001 is so balanced in my system I am not left wanting at any frequency. emaidel you made a good choice, enjoy.
    I've replaced other components in my system throughout the years, and posted my observations on the differences the newer components made here on AR. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much better the Dual CS-5000 sounded over any turntable I've ever owned, and was equally impressed at the improvements the Achromat turntable mat made. Still, those improvements, notable as they were, pale in comparison to the difference the Marantz SA-8001 has made.

You said previously that "your turntable just might get dusty," and I think you're right. Yesterday, I noticed that there was a layer of dust on the turntable's dust cover, and I thought of your comment!

In the meantime, I'll just swoon in sonic nirvana as the 8001 continues to sound better and better each day. It sounded great right out of the box, but "burn-in" is a very definite factor, and as I continue to use it, the better it sounds - all across the sonic spectrum.

Thread Information